Possible QHosts problem... patch wont work!!

G

Hi

I'm trying to fix my friend's computer, and have run into a wall. I can access seemingly all web sites except search engines. When I try to use Yahoo, it loads, but when I enter in a search item and click SEARCH I am sent to a blank page stating that the page couldn't load or is invalid. When I try to access google, I find a page that explains a problem caused by the QHosts virus. I am able to use the links they provide for certain search engines, but nothing outside of that. They also provide a link to Microsoft's solution page for this virus. When I download the IE6 SP1 patch, and try to load it, an error pops up stating that I need SP1 to run the patch. SP1 is installed already, but I tried to reinstall it just in case, and it still doesn't work... stating that SP1 needs to be installed. To be on the safe side, I tried running all of the different patches for different versions of IE, and none work. I also searched for some help on the internet (using the google provided search links) and found a page telling me what to edit in my system registry, but the files/locations they provided don't exist on my computer. I am at my wits end, and dont know what else to do because Microsoft doesn't support IE unless I pay them $35 and they rediculously don't let you uninstall & reinstall IE anymore! I wish it was like the old days and I could simply irradicate IE from my system and reinstall it fresh, and eliminate this annoyance. I also downloaded FixQhost from symantec, and this also does not work. I'm hoping that someone out there can PLEASE help me fix this, and I'm not computer illiterate, so if I do have to edit the registry or anything else like that, don't refrain from offering those suggestions. FYI the OS is Windows XP SP1.

H

H Leboeuf

Unable to use any major Search Engines?
Qhosts virus/trojan, ALERT!.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.qhosts.html

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100719.htm

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojqhosts1.html

Removal tools that have been used with success.
http://www.brown.edu/Facilities/CIS/Software_Services/virus/index.html
http://software.brown.edu/dist/w-cleanqhosts.html
--

Henri Leboeuf
Web page: http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/index.htm
===
Steven L. Haas said:
Hi,

I'm trying to fix my friend's computer, and have run into a wall. I can
access seemingly all web sites except search engines. When I try to use
Yahoo, it loads, but when I enter in a search item and click SEARCH I am
sent to a blank page stating that the page couldn't load or is invalid.
When I try to access google, I find a page that explains a problem caused by
the QHosts virus. I am able to use the links they provide for certain
search engines, but nothing outside of that. They also provide a link to
Microsoft's solution page for this virus. When I download the IE6 SP1
patch, and try to load it, an error pops up stating that I need SP1 to run
the patch. SP1 is installed already, but I tried to reinstall it just in
case, and it still doesn't work... stating that SP1 needs to be installed.
To be on the safe side, I tried running all of the different patches for
different versions of IE, and none work. I also searched for some help on
the internet (using the google provided search links) and found a page
telling me what to edit in my system registry, but the files/locations they
provided don't exist on my computer. I am at my wits end, and dont know
what else to do because Microsoft doesn't support IE unless I pay them $35
and they rediculously don't let you uninstall & reinstall IE anymore! I
wish it was like the old days and I could simply irradicate IE from my
system and reinstall it fresh, and eliminate this annoyance. I also
downloaded FixQhost from symantec, and this also does not work. I'm hoping
that someone out there can PLEASE help me fix this, and I'm not computer
illiterate, so if I do have to edit the registry or anything else like that,
don't refrain from offering those suggestions. FYI the OS is Windows XP
SP1.

G

Download the patch to C:Go to Run and type there C:\patch name.exe /n.
There is an space between exe and /n.
And the patch is installe

----- Steven L. Haas wrote: ----

Hi

I'm trying to fix my friend's computer, and have run into a wall. I can access seemingly all web sites except search engines. When I try to use Yahoo, it loads, but when I enter in a search item and click SEARCH I am sent to a blank page stating that the page couldn't load or is invalid. When I try to access google, I find a page that explains a problem caused by the QHosts virus. I am able to use the links they provide for certain search engines, but nothing outside of that. They also provide a link to Microsoft's solution page for this virus. When I download the IE6 SP1 patch, and try to load it, an error pops up stating that I need SP1 to run the patch. SP1 is installed already, but I tried to reinstall it just in case, and it still doesn't work... stating that SP1 needs to be installed. To be on the safe side, I tried running all of the different patches for different versions of IE, and none work. I also searched for some help on the internet (using the google provided search links) and found a page telling me what to edit in my system registry, but the files/locations they provided don't exist on my computer. I am at my wits end, and dont know what else to do because Microsoft doesn't support IE unless I pay them $35 and they rediculously don't let you uninstall & reinstall IE anymore! I wish it was like the old days and I could simply irradicate IE from my system and reinstall it fresh, and eliminate this annoyance. I also downloaded FixQhost from symantec, and this also does not work. I'm hoping that someone out there can PLEASE help me fix this, and I'm not computer illiterate, so if I do have to edit the registry or anything else like that, don't refrain from offering those suggestions. FYI the OS is Windows XP SP1.

Ask a Question