Position of small picture in line with text

Mike

Hello,

I have small pictures (of math symbols mostly) that I want to put in
line with the rest of the written text to continue the flow of
conversation as though these small pictures were just different
characters. But I can't seem to micro adjust the horizontal or
vertical positioning to get the small pics in the center or below the
baseline of the text.

I just started using Word 2010 (Where exactly is the botton to tell
you what version I'm usiong?) And I've tried using the Layout tab with
its Positioning, Text wraping, and Size options. These seem to be
geared for larger pics in text. But what about small symbols? Thanks.

Stefan Blom

Mike wrote in message
Hello,

I have small pictures (of math symbols mostly) that I want to put in
line with the rest of the written text to continue the flow of
conversation as though these small pictures were just different
characters. But I can't seem to micro adjust the horizontal or
vertical positioning to get the small pics in the center or below the
baseline of the text.

I just started using Word 2010 (Where exactly is the botton to tell
you what version I'm usiong?) And I've tried using the Layout tab with
its Positioning, Text wraping, and Size options. These seem to be
geared for larger pics in text. But what about small symbols? Thanks.

For images whose Text Wrapping is set to "In line with text," you can
make use of the "Position" setting on the Advanced tab of the Font
dialog box (Ctrl+D).

Peter T. Daniels

Is there a reason for not using actual type for your math symbols?
Assuming you don't want to use the built-in Equation Editor, it's hard
to imagine you won't find everything you need within, say, the Cambria
Math font -- there are Unicode ranges for Mathematical Alphanumeric
Symbols, Mathematical Operators, Miscellaneous Mathematical Symbols
(groups A and B), and various others.

Use the "Insert Symbol" tool -- I can't tell you where to find it on
your Ribbon, but it's one of the most useful items I added to my Quick
Access Toolbar.

Pan

Is there a reason for not using actual type for your math symbols?
Assuming you don't want to use the built-in Equation Editor, it's hard
to imagine you won't find everything you need within, say, the Cambria
Math font -- there are Unicode ranges for Mathematical Alphanumeric
Symbols, Mathematical Operators, Miscellaneous Mathematical Symbols
(groups A and B), and various others.

Use the "Insert Symbol" tool -- I can't tell you where to find it on
your Ribbon, but it's one of the most useful items I added to my Quick
Access Toolbar.

The built-in equation editor doesn't allow you to put the equation and
other text in the same line, if you want to change it to display.

Peter T. Daniels

Many people avoid the Equation Editor. Have you _tried_ using type
rather than pictures for entering equations?

You can also get the same effect using Fields (I don't do mathematics,
but I've created very complicated linguistics formulas, which involve
stacks of bracketed things, numerator/denominator things, etc., using
Fields.) Unfortunately MS no longer publishes the details on Fields
that were in an appendix to the Word 5.1 manual, and the aftermarket
books don't seem to be aware that they exist.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

You can still find a complete field reference at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/CH061047231033.aspx.

Also, the old Design Science Equation Editor does allow inline placement. It
is still available through Insert | Text | Object | Object | Create New:
Microsoft Equation 3.0. And of course the symbols in the Cambria Math font
are available through Insert | Symbol.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

Many people avoid the Equation Editor. Have you _tried_ using type
rather than pictures for entering equations?

You can also get the same effect using Fields (I don't do mathematics,
but I've created very complicated linguistics formulas, which involve
stacks of bracketed things, numerator/denominator things, etc., using
Fields.) Unfortunately MS no longer publishes the details on Fields
that were in an appendix to the Word 5.1 manual, and the aftermarket
books don't seem to be aware that they exist.

Stefan Blom

Even the new equation editor allows for inline placement. For a
"display" type of equation, click the arrow on the content control
surrounding the equation and click the Change to Inline option.