Populate Dropdownlist Clientside

G

H

I have a page with a Datagrid on it, where users can create new rows etc. In each row, there are a few DropDownLists. The selection from each at the moment does a postback and re-populates all the others. Currently, this works fine, but is far too slow!! For one line-entry, it needs at least 3 postbacks!!! I have trimmed the Viewstate, but is still not nearly quick enough
What I would like to do is set up a webservice to retrieve the updated list data, and populate the Dropdownlists on clientside without doing a Postback until the very end (when all row data is entered)

I have set up a test page to get the principle working before trying in a datagrid. My problem at the moment is that when I do a final postback, the server dropdownlist control seems to not have any items....all the items I entered on the Clientside are lost, and I have no SelectedValue etc. to work with!! Do I need to add the items somehow to the Viewstate from Clientside

Help!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

G

I'm about to try the same thing at least - I think its the same thing.

In my scenario I populate the three lists when the page loads
If there is an existing record then the three lists are populated and preselected appropriatyely
If there's no existing record but its a blank form ready to add a new record then I just display the first list and then successively populate and display the next list as each selection is made
I used to do this with remote scripting but now I need to move to using a webservice
I'd love to start from where you are!

Ask a Question