Pls help with Form not able to enter data

TotallyConfused

I am having trouble with my main form. I have a main form and subform.
Subform consists of a Tab and a subform in each tab. I am able to enter data
in the subform but not on the Main form. I reviewed by relationships and
query that is being used for the main form. What is the cause of not being
able to enter data into the main form. Thank you in advance for any help you
can provide.

Gina Whipp

TotallyConfused,

You said you reviewed the query attached to your Main form but did you check
if you could edit it. Since the form only allows you to view the data in
the query then the problem is the query.

--
Gina Whipp

II

TotallyConfused

Thank you for responding. Yes I have "YES" for Allow Edits, Allow Deletions,
Allow Additions in my main form's query. Is there anything else. What may
be causing my main form not to accept data? Thank you.

Gina Whipp

TotallyConfused,

I am not asking about the form but the query that is the RecordSource on the
form. Go to the form in Design View - then Properties. In the Properties
Window go to RecordSource and click the build button [...]. Onve the query
window opens 'Run' it and see if you can edit, enter information there. I
suspect that you will not be able to. That is where you need to fix the
problem. Once you fix the query so it is updateable you will be able to
enter data via the form.

You are mistaking the form as the issue. It is a form, it simply allows you
to view the data in your query but it is not where your data resides.

--
Gina Whipp

II

TotallyConfused

Thank you. I fixed it. My query is updatable now. However, may I ask
another question? When I enter data on my subform. It changes all the rows,
instead of just the field/row that I edited. My subform and mainform are
linked by the Doc ID. On my main form is the doc info. On my subform/Tab
lists all pt associated with this doc. If I enter something into one of the
subform rows, it changes all the rows in the same column. I only want it to
change the row/field that I entered the data. What is the cause of this?
Thank you. Appreciate your time and patience.

TotallyConfused said:
Thank you for responding. Yes I have "YES" for Allow Edits, Allow
Deletions,
Allow Additions in my main form's query. Is there anything else. What
may
be causing my main form not to accept data? Thank you.

Bob Quintal

=?Utf-8?B?VG90YWxseUNvbmZ1c2Vk?=
Thank you. I fixed it. My query is updatable now. However, may
I ask another question? When I enter data on my subform. It
changes all the rows, instead of just the field/row that I edited.
My subform and mainform are linked by the Doc ID. On my main
form is the doc info. On my subform/Tab lists all pt associated
with this doc. If I enter something into one of the subform
rows, it changes all the rows in the same column. I only want it
to change the row/field that I entered the data. What is the
cause of this? Thank you. Appreciate your time and patience.

The fact that all the rows change means that the text/list/combobox
is not bound to a field in the query or table that is the record
source of your subform.

Gina Whipp said:
TotallyConfused,

I am not asking about the form but the query that is the
RecordSource on the form. Go to the form in Design View - then
Properties. In the Properties Window go to RecordSource and
click the build button [...]. Onve the query window opens 'Run'
it and see if you can edit, enter information there. I suspect
that you will not be able to. That is where you need to fix the
problem. Once you fix the query so it is updateable you will be
able to enter data via the form.

You are mistaking the form as the issue. It is a form, it simply
allows you to view the data in your query but it is not where
your data resides.

--
Gina Whipp

"I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!"
- Tremors II

:

wrote in message
I am having trouble with my main form. I have a main form
and subform.
Subform consists of a Tab and a subform in each tab. I am
able to enter
data
in the subform but not on the Main form. I reviewed by
relationships and
query that is being used for the main form. What is the
cause of not being
able to enter data into the main form. Thank you in advance
for any help
you
can provide.

TotallyConfused

Thank you for responding. I checked my form/fields and they are bound to the
query. Bound meaning the field is the "Record Source" in the query. It
seems that the fields that do this are only fields associated with one of the
tables in the query. I check the fields property that do not copy all the
way down against the fields property that individually accepts the change and
the properties are the same. Can you please tell me why this is happening to
only some fields? Thank you.

wrote in message
I am having trouble with my main form. I have a main form
and subform.
Subform consists of a Tab and a subform in each tab. I am
able to enter
data
in the subform but not on the Main form. I reviewed by
relationships and
query that is being used for the main form. What is the
cause of not being
able to enter data into the main form. Thank you in advance
for any help
you
can provide.

Gina Whipp

TotallyConfused,

Sounds like you are using a continuous form and are trying to update
different rows in your table but your query is not set up like that. Post
the SQL of your query so we can have a look.
--
Gina Whipp

II

wrote in message
I am having trouble with my main form. I have a main form
and subform.
Subform consists of a Tab and a subform in each tab. I am
able to enter
data
in the subform but not on the Main form. I reviewed by
relationships and
query that is being used for the main form. What is the
cause of not being
able to enter data into the main form. Thank you in advance
for any help
you
can provide.

TotallyConfused

Thank you again very much for your help. Any help/advise will be greatly
appreciated. Here is the sql for the subform where some of the fields after
entering updates all the rows not just the specific one.

SELECT tblCNTRLNO.ID, tblPT.[PT ID], tblVISITS.[DOC ID], tblPT.[PT DOB],
tblPT.[PT LNM], tblPT.[PT FNM], tblPT.[PT LTR], tblPT.[PT RSPNS],
tblCNTRLNO.PROD, tblCNTRLNO.[FILE/CLSD], tblCNTRLNO.ASST, tblCNTRLNO.DIS,
tblVISITS.[FX CNTCT], tblVISITS.[INV 1 SENT], tblVISITS.[INV 1 DUE],
tblVISITS.[INV 1 RCV], , tblCNTRLNO.[CNTRL NUM], tblVISITS.[MAIL SENT],
tblVISITS.[MAIL RCVD], tblPRVDRNO.[DOC NM], tblDOC.CNFRM, tblDOC.[DOC PH],
tblDOC.[DOC FX], tblVISITS.[INV CPLTD], tbl tblCNTRLNO.FLG,tblDOC.[DOC CMTS],
tblDOC.GRP
FROM tblPT INNER JOIN ((tblVISITS INNER JOIN tbl tblCNTRLNO ON
tblVISITS.[DOC ID] = tbl tblCNTRLNO.[DOC ID]) INNER JOIN tblDOC ON
tblVISITS.[DOC ID] = tblDPC.[DOC ID]) ON tblPT.[PT ID] = tblCNTRLNO.[PT ID]
WHERE (((tbl tblCNTRLNO.FLG)=1 Or (tbl tblCNTRLNO.FLG)=2 Or (tbl
tblCNTRLNO.FLG)=3 Or (tbl tblCNTRLNO.FLG)=4))
ORDER BY tbl tblCNTRLNO.[CNTRL ID], tbl tblCNTRLNO.FLG;

wrote in message
I am having trouble with my main form. I have a main form
and subform.
Subform consists of a Tab and a subform in each tab. I am
able to enter
data
in the subform but not on the Main form. I reviewed by
relationships and
query that is being used for the main form. What is the
cause of not being
able to enter data into the main form. Thank you in advance
for any help
you
can provide.

Gina Whipp

TotallyConfused,

Please exlpain the tables... I would also like to know what you are trying
to update. My initial perusal says your database tables are set up
incorrectly.

--
Gina Whipp

II

wrote in message
I am having trouble with my main form. I have a main form
and subform.
Subform consists of a Tab and a subform in each tab. I am
able to enter
data
in the subform but not on the Main form. I reviewed by
relationships and
query that is being used for the main form. What is the
cause of not being
able to enter data into the main form. Thank you in advance
for any help
you
can provide.

Gina Whipp

TotallyConfused,

This can't be a copy/paste because the below won't even run. (And that was
just by skim reading the SQL.) Please provide a copy/paste of the EXACT SQL
of the query. To get that go to Design View of the query, in the upper left
hand corner from the drop down select SQL. In that window copy/paste what
is in there.

SELECT tblCNTRLNO.ID, tblPT.[PT ID], tblVISITS.[DOC ID], tblPT.[PT DOB],
tblPT.[PT LNM], tblPT.[PT FNM], tblPT.[PT LTR], tblPT.[PT RSPNS],
tblCNTRLNO.PROD, tblCNTRLNO.[FILE/CLSD], tblCNTRLNO.ASST, tblCNTRLNO.DIS,
tblVISITS.[FX CNTCT], tblVISITS.[INV 1 SENT], tblVISITS.[INV 1 DUE],

**** There are double comma's??? tblVISITS.[INV 1 RCV], ,
tblCNTRLNO.[CNTRL NUM]

tblVISITS.[INV 1 RCV], , tblCNTRLNO.[CNTRL NUM], tblVISITS.[MAIL SENT],
tblVISITS.[MAIL RCVD], tblPRVDRNO.[DOC NM], tblDOC.CNFRM, tblDOC.[DOC PH],
tblDOC.[DOC FX], tblVISITS.[INV CPLTD], tbl tblCNTRLNO.FLG,tblDOC.[DOC
CMTS],
tblDOC.GRP
FROM tblPT INNER JOIN ((tblVISITS INNER JOIN tbl tblCNTRLNO ON
tblVISITS.[DOC ID] = tbl tblCNTRLNO.[DOC ID]) INNER JOIN tblDOC ON

**** Do both tables have the the PT ID??? tblPT.[PT ID] = tblCNTRLNO.[PT
ID]

tblVISITS.[DOC ID] = tblDPC.[DOC ID]) ON tblPT.[PT ID] = tblCNTRLNO.[PT ID]
WHERE (((tbl tblCNTRLNO.FLG)=1 Or (tbl tblCNTRLNO.FLG)=2 Or (tbl
tblCNTRLNO.FLG)=3 Or (tbl tblCNTRLNO.FLG)=4))

**** tblControlNo seems to have several ID's???
1) tblCNTRLNO.[CNTRL ID]
2) tblCNTRLNO.[PT ID]
3) tblCNTRLNO.ID

wrote in message
I am having trouble with my main form. I have a main form
and subform.
Subform consists of a Tab and a subform in each tab. I am
able to enter
data
in the subform but not on the Main form. I reviewed by
relationships and
query that is being used for the main form. What is the
cause of not being
able to enter data into the main form. Thank you in advance
for any help
you
can provide.

TotallyConfused

Thank you for responding. Sorry I messed up the SQL. I was trying to dummy
up the contents due to content and privacy issues.

My query consists of tables with tblControlNO have 3 IDs and a primary ID of
auto. tblControlNO has a many to one relationship to Visits table. Visits
talbe has one to one to DOC tble and tblControlNO has a one to many
relationship with the PT tbl.

I am confused because. My main form and subform are data entry forms and
you can't have to many table in your query because then it is not updateable.
Everything else works fine in my main form except for the some fields in the
subform that are not working right.

Thank you.

Gina Whipp said:
TotallyConfused,

Sounds like you are using a continuous form and are trying to update
different rows in your table but your query is not set up like that.
Post
the SQL of your query so we can have a look.
--
Gina Whipp

"I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" -
Tremors
II

message Thank you for responding. I checked my form/fields and they are bound

wrote in message
I am having trouble with my main form. I have a main form
and subform.
Subform consists of a Tab and a subform in each tab. I am
able to enter
data
in the subform but not on the Main form. I reviewed by
relationships and
query that is being used for the main form. What is the
cause of not being
able to enter data into the main form. Thank you in advance
for any help
you
can provide.

Gina Whipp

TotallyConfused,

Data is private, field names should not be private. I am limited as to what
I can do without seeing the SQL of the query. It SOUNDS like you have a
many-to-many which is why you are getting the results you are but without
the SQL not much I can do.

Just as a side not, it's no so uch how many tables are in the query as it is
how they are joined in the query and what you are trying to update.

--
Gina Whipp

II