Plotting a chart

T

Tammy

Hello,

I posted this question on 1/8/09, but can't find it, and haven't received a
response, so, now I'm wondering it I ever actually sent it, or possibly
posted it to the wrong group...

I have a user who sent me this request:

"Can you think of any way to draw the following kind of graph?

Horizontal axis = X, vertical axis = Y.

I want to plot 20 nations by X and Y. Each nation is plotted for two years,
1980 and 2005. Thus there would be 40 points on the graph, two for each
nations (one for 1980, the other for 2005).

I’d like the graph to show an arrow for each nation, running from its 1980
coordinates to its 2005 coordinates. It would be nice to label each arrow
with the name of the nation.

Any ideas?"

Here is a sample of his data:

Iceland Iceland Norway Norway Australia Australia
1980 2005 1980 2005 1980 2005
X 17 20 43 48 35 41
Y 5 7 8 12 9 15

I have only "basic" chart experience, and can't figure out how to even get
started arranging his data properly.

Does anyone know how we can achieve what he'd like to do?

Thanks for any suggestions to get us started.

T

Tammy

Thanks very much, David!

Is that a link below? I tried pasting it into a browser window, but received
a message saying that Window Mail can't be opened, there is a software
restriction.

Am I being dumb? Sorry! :(

T

Tammy

Hi David,

I guess what I'm asking is where is my post stored? I use this Discussion
group all the time, and receive notification when someone has answered my
post. I never received notification for Jon's response - maybe I didn't check
the "notify me of replies" checkbox, which would not be like me, but I could
have missed it this time.

when you said: "Your previous message is here, as is Jon's reply:

I don't know where "is. I've
never had to use Windows Mail to read a response before. That was just the
message that came up when I tried pasting
"into a browser window.

Really sorry to be a problem. I've looked through the excel charting group
and can't find my original post...so, if you can tell me what
"means, I'll continue searching.

Thanks, again, David.

David Biddulph said:
If you are asking how to use Windows Mail to read newsgroups, try
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Wi...f-fee2-472c-ad02-b14331571a521033.mspxAnother option for finding your previous thread is to search the newsgroup'sarchive in Google:http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/s...ugroup=microsoft.public.excel.charting--David BiddulphTammy wrote:> Thanks very much, David!>> Is that a link below? I tried pasting it into a browser window, but> received a message saying that Window Mail can't be opened, there is> a software restriction.>> Am I being dumb? Sorry! :(>> "David Biddulph" wrote:>>> Your previous message is here, as is Jon's reply:>> news:[email protected]>> -->> David Biddulph>>>> "Tammy" <[email protected]> wrote in message>> news:[email protected]...>>> Hello,>>>>>> I posted this question on 1/8/09, but can't find it, and haven't>>> received a>>> response, so, now I'm wondering it I ever actually sent it, or>>> possibly posted
it to the wrong group...>>>>>> I have a user who sent me this request:>>>>>> "Can you think of any way to draw the following kind of graph?>>>>>> Horizontal axis = X, vertical axis = Y.>>>>>> I want to plot 20 nations by X and Y. Each nation is plotted for two>>> years,>>> 1980 and 2005. Thus there would be 40 points on the graph, two for>>> each nations (one for 1980, the other for 2005).>>>>>> I'd like the graph to show an arrow for each nation, running from>>> its 1980 coordinates to its 2005 coordinates. It would be nice to>>> label each arrow with the name of the nation.>>>>>> Any ideas?">>>>>> Here is a sample of his data:>>>>>> Iceland Iceland Norway Norway Australia Australia>>> 1980 2005 1980 2005 1980 2005>>> X 17 20 43 48 35 41>>> Y 5 7 8 12 9 15>>>>>> I have only "basic" chart experience, and can't figure out how to>>> even get started arranging his data properly.>>>>>> Does anyone know how we can achieve what he'd like to do?>>>>>> Thanks for any suggestions to get us
started.

T

Tammy

Hi David,

I used the second link you provided, and found the post. At first the link
wasn't working because it included your name at the end.

Thanks, again for helping me on this!

David Biddulph said:
If you are asking how to use Windows Mail to read newsgroups, try
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Wi...f-fee2-472c-ad02-b14331571a521033.mspxAnother option for finding your previous thread is to search the newsgroup'sarchive in Google:http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/s...ugroup=microsoft.public.excel.charting--David BiddulphTammy wrote:> Thanks very much, David!>> Is that a link below? I tried pasting it into a browser window, but> received a message saying that Window Mail can't be opened, there is> a software restriction.>> Am I being dumb? Sorry! :(>> "David Biddulph" wrote:>>> Your previous message is here, as is Jon's reply:>> news:[email protected]>> -->> David Biddulph>>>> "Tammy" <[email protected]> wrote in message>> news:[email protected]...>>> Hello,>>>>>> I posted this question on 1/8/09, but can't find it, and haven't>>> received a>>> response, so, now I'm wondering it I ever actually sent it, or>>> possibly posted
it to the wrong group...>>>>>> I have a user who sent me this request:>>>>>> "Can you think of any way to draw the following kind of graph?>>>>>> Horizontal axis = X, vertical axis = Y.>>>>>> I want to plot 20 nations by X and Y. Each nation is plotted for two>>> years,>>> 1980 and 2005. Thus there would be 40 points on the graph, two for>>> each nations (one for 1980, the other for 2005).>>>>>> I'd like the graph to show an arrow for each nation, running from>>> its 1980 coordinates to its 2005 coordinates. It would be nice to>>> label each arrow with the name of the nation.>>>>>> Any ideas?">>>>>> Here is a sample of his data:>>>>>> Iceland Iceland Norway Norway Australia Australia>>> 1980 2005 1980 2005 1980 2005>>> X 17 20 43 48 35 41>>> Y 5 7 8 12 9 15>>>>>> I have only "basic" chart experience, and can't figure out how to>>> even get started arranging his data properly.>>>>>> Does anyone know how we can achieve what he'd like to do?>>>>>> Thanks for any suggestions to get us
started.

T

Tammy

Hi Jon,
Thanks very much - I will definitely check out the NNTP interface for the
newsgroup.
I would also like to thank you for the information regarding two XY series.
I have forwarded it to my user.
Thanks again for all of the valuable information you and David always provide.

Ask a Question