Please help! Remote rollovers takes too long

I've tried preloading the images, inserting them onto the page as 1x1 pixel images, and reducing their size. Still, the nav buttons take too long to switch between images. It looked fine before publishing, but each image seems to have to download no matter what I do. Here's the page for reference

http://www.bbiverson.co

Any ideas as to how I could get the remote rollovers for the nav buttons to work smoothly?

For anyone else that is experiencing this problem, it appears to be a caching setting in IE that causes this. A four-year-old newsgroup search result turned up a post that addressed this issue. Turning tools/internet options/temporary internet files settings to "everytime you start Internet Explorer" makes the rollovers cache more readily, producing a smoother interface. Still, I would prefer a better solution, as there may be a lot of users who have IE set to "every visit to the page", as I did. Any ideas?

MD Websunlimited

Hi BB Iverson,

Our solution was to abondon Image based menu systems and to go strictly with CSS based ones. Image based navigation systems do not
scale.
See http://www.websunlimited.com/order/Product/CssMenu/css_menu.htm

--
Mike -- FrontPage MVP '97-'02
http://www.websunlimited.com

BB Iverson said:
I've tried preloading the images, inserting them onto the page as 1x1 pixel images, and reducing their size. Still, the nav
buttons take too long to switch between images. It looked fine before publishing, but each image seems to have to download no
matter what I do. Here's the page for reference:

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

They load fast for me. I like it too, looks good.

| For anyone else that is experiencing this problem, it appears to be a caching setting in IE that causes this. A four-year-old newsgroup search result turned up a post that addressed this issue. Turning tools/internet options/temporary internet files settings to "everytime you start Internet Explorer" makes the rollovers cache more readily, producing a smoother interface. Still, I would prefer a better solution, as there may be a lot of users who have IE set to "every visit to the page", as I did. Any ideas?

Thomas A. Rowe

That is not the default setting of IE, so a user must actually set IE to check each page, which I
also have done.

The best solutions is to use text link or CSS.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

BB Iverson said:
For anyone else that is experiencing this problem, it appears to be a caching setting in IE that
causes this. A four-year-old newsgroup search result turned up a post that addressed this issue.
Turning tools/internet options/temporary internet files settings to "everytime you start Internet
Explorer" makes the rollovers cache more readily, producing a smoother interface. Still, I would
prefer a better solution, as there may be a lot of users who have IE set to "every visit to the
page", as I did. Any ideas?

I'm unfamiliar with CSS. Can I use CSS to facilitate the remote rollover processing? If so, where can I learn about how to do this?

Stefan B Rusynko

Probably yes, but you if are dealing w/ image rollovers, you still face the actual image file sizes on pre-load or load
What are you trying to facilitate?

--

<BB Iverson> wrote in message | I'm unfamiliar with CSS. Can I use CSS to facilitate the remote rollover processing? If so, where can I learn about how to do
this?

I wanted to make it easier for a user to see the remote rollovers. It sounds like I can't do that, without asking them to change a default setting in IE. Unless, using CSS means that the remote rollovers process smoothly after the page has loaded, regardless of the IE setting. If not, would creating an interface in flash, that would incorporate the remote rollovers, be a better alternative?

Stefan B Rusynko

Image rollovers are just client side JavaScript and html
- if they have JavaScript turn off you can't do anything

Explain "remote rollovers" or provide a link to a page using them

<BB Iverson> wrote in message | I wanted to make it easier for a user to see the remote rollovers. It sounds like I can't do that, without asking them to change
a default setting in IE. Unless, using CSS means that the remote rollovers process smoothly after the page has loaded, regardless
of the IE setting. If not, would creating an interface in flash, that would incorporate the remote rollovers, be a better
alternative?

I already provided the link and remote rollover problem in the first post of this thread. I also posted the cause of my problem from a 4 year old message I found. Now, I'm looking for a solution

To recap

1. I am having problems getting remote rollovers, images appearing and disappearing upon mouseover of an interactive button, to run smoothly on my site, www.bbiverson.com

2. Apparently, the default setting of IE under Tools/Internet Options/Temporary Internet files/Settings is "Every visit to the page". This causes each image to load everytime there is a mouseover of the button, regardless of preloaded images. Changing the IE setting to "Every time you start Internet Explorer" solve the problem, but that is rather inconvenient to visitors

3. I'm wondering if a flash button interface, incorporating the images appearing and disappearing into it, would solve my dilemma

Any advice regarding this matter would be much appreciated.

Thomas A. Rowe

Note: Many of us do not keep read messages, so you should always continue posting to the same thread
and leave all prior content.

#2 The default setting of IE for caching pages is "Automatic", a user would have to specifically
change it.

#3 Flash solve the issue, however it still has to download and users can disable it, and in which
case they would not be able to navigate your site, nor will search engines be able to index your
site by following the hyperlinks.

BB Iverson said:
[...]

Thank you for clarifying those issues. With the IE default setting of "Automatically", I no longer have a problem. Remote rollovers work smoothly at that setting. Also, I'm glad you made me aware of the search engine not being able to index my site, under a flash navigation interface. Now, I can continue to move forward developing my site. Again, thanks

----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: ----

Note: Many of us do not keep read messages, so you should always continue posting to the same threa
and leave all prior content

#2 The default setting of IE for caching pages is "Automatic", a user would have to specificall
change it

#3 Flash solve the issue, however it still has to download and users can disable it, and in whic
case they would not be able to navigate your site, nor will search engines be able to index you
site by following the hyperlinks
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
WEBMASTER Resources(tm
http://www.ycoln-resources.co
FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc
To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see
http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.as

BB Iverson said:
I already provided the link and remote rollover problem in the first post of this thread. I als
posted the cause of my problem from a 4 year old message I found. Now, I'm looking for a solutionfiles/Settings is "Every visit to the page". This causes each image to load everytime there is
mouseover of the button, regardless of preloaded images. Changing the IE setting to "Every time yo
start Internet Explorer" solve the problem, but that is rather inconvenient to visitors

Stefan B Rusynko

IMHO
Your problem isn't w/ the six 3 KB buttons (x 2 for the rollovers),
- but with your 51KB animated logo and your 1.88MB audio file
Do some serious compression of your animated gif and Can the Audio

--

<BB Iverson> wrote in message |
| Thank you for clarifying those issues. With the IE default setting of "Automatically", I no longer have a problem. Remote
rollovers work smoothly at that setting. Also, I'm glad you made me aware of the search engine not being able to index my site,
under a flash navigation interface. Now, I can continue to move forward developing my site. Again, thanks.

| ----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: -----
|
| Note: Many of us do not keep read messages, so you should always continue posting to the same thread
| and leave all prior content.
|
| #2 The default setting of IE for caching pages is "Automatic", a user would have to specifically
| change it.
|
| #3 Flash solve the issue, however it still has to download and users can disable it, and in which
| case they would not be able to navigate your site, nor will search engines be able to index your
| site by following the hyperlinks.
| --
| ==============================================
| Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
|
| FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| ==============================================
| To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
|
| | > I already provided the link and remote rollover problem in the first post of this thread. I also
| posted the cause of my problem from a 4 year old message I found. Now, I'm looking for a solution.
| >> To recap:
| >> 1. I am having problems getting remote rollovers, images appearing and disappearing upon mouseover
| of an interactive button, to run smoothly on my site, www.bbiverson.com.
| >> 2. Apparently, the default setting of IE under Tools/Internet Options/Temporary Internet
| files/Settings is "Every visit to the page". This causes each image to load everytime there is a
| mouseover of the button, regardless of preloaded images. Changing the IE setting to "Every time you
| start Internet Explorer" solve the problem, but that is rather inconvenient to visitors.
| >> 3. I'm wondering if a flash button interface, incorporating the images appearing and disappearing
| into it, would solve my dilemma.
| >> Any advice regarding this matter would be much appreciated.

I optimized the logo as much as I could, without losing quality, to 37kb. I don't want to remove the audio from the homepage. Is there any way to optimize it, or have it load after all of the graphics

----- Stefan B Rusynko wrote: ----

IMH
Your problem isn't w/ the six 3 KB buttons (x 2 for the rollovers)
- but with your 51KB animated logo and your 1.88MB audio fil
Do some serious compression of your animated gif and Can the Audi

SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
"Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-
To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see

<BB Iverson> wrote in message
| Thank you for clarifying those issues. With the IE default setting of "Automatically", I no longer have a problem. Remot
rollovers work smoothly at that setting. Also, I'm glad you made me aware of the search engine not being able to index my site
under a flash navigation interface. Now, I can continue to move forward developing my site. Again, thanks

| ----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: ----

| Note: Many of us do not keep read messages, so you should always continue posting to the same threa
| and leave all prior content

| #2 The default setting of IE for caching pages is "Automatic", a user would have to specificall
| change it

| #3 Flash solve the issue, however it still has to download and users can disable it, and in whic
| case they would not be able to navigate your site, nor will search engines be able to index you
| site by following the hyperlinks
| --
| =============================================
| Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| WEBMASTER Resources(tm
| http://www.ycoln-resources.co
| FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc
| =============================================
| To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.as

| | > I already provided the link and remote rollover problem in the first post of this thread. I als
| posted the cause of my problem from a 4 year old message I found. Now, I'm looking for a solution
| >> To recap
| >> 1. I am having problems getting remote rollovers, images appearing and disappearing upon mouseove
| of an interactive button, to run smoothly on my site, www.bbiverson.com
| >> 2. Apparently, the default setting of IE under Tools/Internet Options/Temporary Interne
| files/Settings is "Every visit to the page". This causes each image to load everytime there is
| mouseover of the button, regardless of preloaded images. Changing the IE setting to "Every time yo
| start Internet Explorer" solve the problem, but that is rather inconvenient to visitors
| >> 3. I'm wondering if a flash button interface, incorporating the images appearing and disappearin
| into it, would solve my dilemma
| >> Any advice regarding this matter would be much appreciated

Steve Easton

A browser loads web page components in the order they are listed on the page. Therefore,
since the sound file is load using the body tag it will be among the first things
downloaded.

A background sound file with a size of 1.88 megabytes is to put it mildly.... ridiculous.
You need to edit the file to make it smaller, and or find the same file in a format other
than an .au file.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

<BB Iverson> wrote in message |
| Thank you for clarifying those issues. With the IE default setting of
"Automatically", I no longer have a problem. Remote
rollovers work smoothly at that setting. Also, I'm glad you made me aware of the
search engine not being able to index my site,

Russell

You also have 6 x 72x72 images totaling a massive 114KB of neon
representations of each of your button functions that I compressed for you
to a total of 14 KB, if you must use them. I converted your almost 2MB .au
music file to a 483KB .mp3 file, but I recommend that you don't have this at
all, or at least give the person browsing your page the option whether or
not to play audio. If you just go with a logo without animation, you could
lessen the file size by 20 KB or so without losing image quality.

Your new compressed versions can be found at
http://tastycomputers.com/_private/bbiverson/bbiverson.htm if you want to
use them.

Hope this helps,
Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

<BB Iverson> wrote in message |
| Thank you for clarifying those issues. With the IE default setting
of "Automatically", I no longer have a problem. Remote
rollovers work smoothly at that setting. Also, I'm glad you made me
aware of the search engine not being able to index my site,
under a flash navigation interface. Now, I can continue to move
forward developing my site. Again, thanks.

| ----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: -----
|
| Note: Many of us do not keep read messages, so you should
always continue posting to the same thread
| and leave all prior content.
|
| #2 The default setting of IE for caching pages is "Automatic",
a user would have to specifically
| change it.
|
| #3 Flash solve the issue, however it still has to download and
users can disable it, and in which
| case they would not be able to navigate your site, nor will
search engines be able to index your
| site by following the hyperlinks.
| --
| ==============================================
| Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
|
| FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| ==============================================
| To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
|
| | > I already provided the link and remote rollover problem in
the first post of this thread. I also
| posted the cause of my problem from a 4 year old message I
found. Now, I'm looking for a solution.
| >> To recap:
| >> 1. I am having problems getting remote rollovers, images
appearing and disappearing upon mouseover
| of an interactive button, to run smoothly on my site, www.bbiverson.com.
| >> 2. Apparently, the default setting of IE under
Tools/Internet Options/Temporary Internet
| files/Settings is "Every visit to the page". This causes each
image to load everytime there is a
| mouseover of the button, regardless of preloaded images.
Changing the IE setting to "Every time you
| start Internet Explorer" solve the problem, but that is rather inconvenient to visitors.
| >> 3. I'm wondering if a flash button interface, incorporating
the images appearing and disappearing

Thank you for pointing out the glut of my site. I finally got around to optimizing the graphics and changed the sound file to a small mid file. While some of the optimized graphics looked good in IE, they didn't in Mozilla. Those graphics, animated gifs for the most part, I switched back to their higher resolution originals.