[PL] description - R statistical package

Grod

Here is a description of the R statistical package for
consideration for PL nomination in October. The existing
categories seemed somehow not exactly right since
Calculators, Programming Languages and Graphics are all to
some extent applicable though not right on either. I
used Scientific / Statistics for that but please feel
free to revise those choices if appropriate.

CATEGORY: Scientific
SUBCATEGORY: Statistics
AUTHOR'S EMAIL ADDRESS (munged): r-help at r-project dot org

01 PROGRAM NAME: R
02 WARE DESCRIPTION: Freeware (GPL)
03 OS-WIN: Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP
04 OS-NOTES: -
05 OS-OTHER: Linux, UNIX including cpu-linux-gnu for the i386, alpha,
arm, hppa, ia64, m68k, mips/mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc, x86_64 CPUs,
i386-freebsd, i386-sun-solaris, powerpc-apple-darwin,
mips-sgi-irix, rs6000-ibm-aix, hppa-hp-hpux, sparc-sun-solaris,
Mac OS X (R version 1.7.1 and earlier also support Mac Classic).
06 LANGUAGES: English
07 DESCRIPTION AND NOTES: Comprehensive interactive statistical
and scientific computing package. Builtin object oriented
programming language, graphics, manuals, comprehensive help pages,
online RNews newsletter, books and other publications, annual
conference, active mailing lists, 400+ addon packages.
08 AUTHOR: R Development Core Team
09 COMPANY: R Foundation for Statistical Computing
10 LINK DESCRIPTION: R home page
11 LINK: http://www.r-project.org
(Typing the single letter R into google gets you there.)
12 FILE VERSION: R 1.9.1
13 RELEASE DATE: June 21, 2004
14 LANGUAGE: English
15 FILE NAME: rw1091.zip
16 FILE SIZE: 21,688,072 bytes
17 LINK DESCRIPTION: Download Page
18 LINK: http://cran.r-project.org

Susan Bugher

Grod said:
[...]

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005BUSINESS-HOME.php#3479

(Freeware) (open source: GNU GPL)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
Other OS: Mac OS X; Linux; Unix
Languages: English
computing package. Builtin object oriented programming language,
graphics, manuals, comprehensive help pages, online RNews newsletter,
books and other publications, annual conference, active mailing lists,
400+ addon packages.
Company: R Foundation for Statistical Computing Author: R Development
Core Team
Home Page:
http://www.r-project.org
download page v 1.9.1 (2004-06-21) (rw1091.zip) (21 688 072 bytes)
http://cran.r-project.org
(desc. rev.: 2004-09-18)

=========

Please review. TIA

Susan

Grod

: Grod wrote:
:
: > Here is a description of the R statistical package for
: > consideration for PL nomination in October. The existing
: > categories seemed somehow not exactly right since
: > Calculators, Programming Languages and Graphics are all to
: > some extent applicable though not right on either. I
: > used Scientific / Statistics for that but please feel
: > free to revise those choices if appropriate.
: >
[...]
: =========
:
: Please review. TIA
:
: Susan

This looks good to me. If its to go under BUSINESS-HOME I wonder if that
whole category should be relabelled OFFICE-LAB-HOME to signify its breadth?

Susan Bugher

Grod said:
Susan Bugher <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
: R
: http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005BUSINESS-HOME.php#3479

This looks good to me. If its to go under BUSINESS-HOME I wonder if that
whole category should be relabelled OFFICE-LAB-HOME to signify its breadth?

IMO BUSINESS-HOME is *more* general than OFFICE-LAB-HOME. It's not *the*
perfect name as the category includes everything that doesn't fit
anywhere else. Maybe we should just call it Category "0". ;)

R looks very interesting. Thanks for the info about it.

Susan

Grod

Susan Bugher said:
IMO BUSINESS-HOME is *more* general than OFFICE-LAB-HOME. It's not *the*
perfect name as the category includes everything that doesn't fit
anywhere else. Maybe we should just call it Category "0". ;)

Yes, perhaps it should be EVERYTHING-THAT-DOES-NOT-FIT-ANYWHERE-ELSE.

At any rate, consider government and educational offices and labs.
These are not businesses, at least as I understand the term, yet
likely account for a significant percentage of the user base of
freeware.

By the way, for the same reason I suggest changing COMPANY to
the more inclusive ORGANIZATION in the description form at the
bottom of:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/2005PL-Procedures.php

Susan Bugher

Grod said:
Yes, perhaps it should be EVERYTHING-THAT-DOES-NOT-FIT-ANYWHERE-ELSE.

:) or IF-YOU-CANNOT-FIND-IT-LOOK-HERE.
At any rate, consider government and educational offices and labs.
These are not businesses, at least as I understand the term, yet
likely account for a significant percentage of the user base of
freeware.

By the way, for the same reason I suggest changing COMPANY to
the more inclusive ORGANIZATION in the description form at the
bottom of:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/2005PL-Procedures.php

The Program Index pages use Author as a heading in the column that shows
both "company" and author. "Publisher" or "Author" are the most common
notations I've seen on software sites when only one field is used. IMO
it would be more accurate to say "copyright holder".

I'm not sure if "organization" is a better choice than "company" in the
program descriptions where the company/organization/university etc.
and the author (who may also be the copyright holder) are listed
separately. It's more inclusive but perhaps not as readily understood.

Susan