Takeadoe

Good morning. Sample of data going into pivot table:

Couny Year Type
Adams 1980 NON
Adams 1980 NON
Adams 1995 TYP
Athens 2001 TYP

Row Lable=County and Sum Value = County Column = Year
End result is a crosstab where row=county, column = year and the valuesrepresent the number of times the county was present for each year. All was working fine.

I appended some new records to the data source, expanded the range and hit refresh. I added a couple more lines for Adams and Athens counties. Excelseems to think the values for county in the new records are some how different from the old. They are not. I've cleared the formats. Cut and pasted to a new worksheet and nothing, I still end up with 2 entries for each county. To the naked eye, Adams looks like Adams, but the computer must somehow be seeing something different. And ideas at all?

Mike

T

Takeadoe

Good morning. Sample of data going into pivot table:

Couny Year Type
Adams 1980 NON
Adams 1980 NON
Adams 1995 TYP
Athens 2001 TYP

Row Lable=County and Sum Value = County Column = Year
End result is a crosstab where row=county, column = year and the values represent the number of times the county was present for each year. Allwas working fine.

I appended some new records to the data source, expanded the range and hit refresh. I added a couple more lines for Adams and Athens counties. Excel seems to think the values for county in the new records are some how different from the old. They are not. I've cleared the formats. Cut and pasted to a new worksheet and nothing, I still end up with 2 entries for each county. To the naked eye, Adams looks like Adams, but the computer must somehow be seeing something different. And ideas at all?

Mike

I got it. I used the trim function and it solved the mystery. Apparently,the spaces in the appended records was causing the problem.

Ask a Question