Pitstop PC Matic

Reaction score
Greetings,

Hello to all in the PC security forum!

I have been trying to form an educated opinion on PC Pitstop's PC Matic Antivirus Software.

I have been doing some research and, in summary, have concluded that the software offers virus/malware/ransomware etc. protection using whitelisting technology, as opposed to blacklisting; also gathering a list of pros, cons, and opinions.

Wondering if anybody can offer any further insight into, opinions on, or personal experience with this program.

Any and all input very welcomed and appreciated,
Smithb2

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I haven't heard of that software before, where did you hear about it? Just had a quick Google and it appears to be one you have to pay for - is there a reason you want to try this one specifically? You can get good security software for free nowadays...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Long time, no see :D. Welcome back :)

I'd be a bit sceptical of how effective their AV software is. It's really hard to get bleeding-edge virus protection, so I don't see how it would be possible to get reasonable protection against 0-day threats (the ones to watch out for). I think one of the "big" vendors would be your best bet to protect against that sort of threat, or at least a vendor that licenses DBs from them.

That said, I've not tried it - so perhaps it's better than I expect. Unfortunately, testing AV effectiveness is hard to do - as if it's working then we won't see much happening.

I've had a look at their site and the app tests for some pointless things, so that makes me doubly-wary!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
IMHO ... wouldn't touch them with a 20 foot barge pole.

There are better, paid-for 'products' on the market, and some better Free offerings to.

Reaction score
I haven't heard of that software before, where did you hear about it? Just had a quick Google and it appears to be one you have to pay for - is there a reason you want to try this one specifically? You can get good security software for free nowadays...

Becky,

PC Matic has just gotten my attention due to some #1 ratings, the whitelisting tech, their advertising, and the claims that the software is produced and supported in the USA. I already renewed my subscription with the protection I currently use, rated #2 in one of the same tests mentioned above, but was considering giving PC Matic a go pending positive review.

Smithb2

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I understand that whitelisting is different that other anti-virus, but what if you whitelist a vulnerable app, and then it gets hacked? That app would be whitelisted! Would the PC Matic detect suspicious behavior from apps that are on the list?

Ask a Question