Pirated Windows XP

Well, not sure what else to do since I can't really
contact microsoft about this. I was wondering what to do
with pirated software. The site I got it from is down so
there's nothing else I can do in that area, but what
about the pirated software I still have. Can't contact
microsoft because I don't have a PID. The worst part is I
didn't realize this until after I had sold it on eBay, I
never installed it so I didn't know. He's already
contacted his bank and Microsoft about this. Any help
would be grateful?

kurttrail

Well, not sure what else to do since I can't really
contact microsoft about this. I was wondering what to do
with pirated software. The site I got it from is down so
there's nothing else I can do in that area, but what
about the pirated software I still have. Can't contact
microsoft because I don't have a PID. The worst part is I
didn't realize this until after I had sold it on eBay, I
never installed it so I didn't know. He's already
contacted his bank and Microsoft about this. Any help
would be grateful?

Shut up & keep your head down. Personally, I think you should be
prosecuted to the full extent of the law, for reselling pirated
software.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Jim Macklin

You at least owe the person you sold it to a full refund,
including all shipping and insurance charges. You also owe
eBay a full report.

You may also owe the State a few dollars or weeks.

Any pirated software you now have should be shipped to
Microsoft with a letter explaining how you got it.

Ask an ethic teacher or a lawyer, you may need both.

| Well, not sure what else to do since I can't really
| contact microsoft about this. I was wondering what to do
| with pirated software. The site I got it from is down so
| there's nothing else I can do in that area, but what
| about the pirated software I still have. Can't contact
| microsoft because I don't have a PID. The worst part is I
| didn't realize this until after I had sold it on eBay, I
| never installed it so I didn't know. He's already
| contacted his bank and Microsoft about this. Any help
| would be grateful?

Well looks like I'm f*cked. I've contaced them about it
so I'll see what they say. I also tried offering the guy
a refund but he nearly flat out said no, mainly cause I
didn't have the money at the time.

Jone Doe

Well, not sure what else to do since I can't really
contact microsoft about this. I was wondering what to do
with pirated software. The site I got it from is down so
there's nothing else I can do in that area, but what
about the pirated software I still have. Can't contact
microsoft because I don't have a PID. The worst part is I
didn't realize this until after I had sold it on eBay, I
never installed it so I didn't know. He's already
contacted his bank and Microsoft about this. Any help
would be grateful?

Why can't you contact Microsoft? If the phone company turned off your
phone, you can always use a pay phone?

Give the buyer back his money, and whatever costs he got buying your bogus
merchandise.

Then explain to E-Bay what happened, and what you did to make it right.

sgopus

Your post doesn't make sense.
He said no to a refund cause you didn't have the money at
the time???
What's wrong with this picture!!!

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

What else it there to do? Simply refund the buyer's money and
apologize. And take care to purchase only legitimate software in the
future, of course.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:

having both at once. - RAH

Steve N.

kurttrail said:
Shut up & keep your head down. Personally, I think you should be
prosecuted to the full extent of the law, for reselling pirated
software.

Kurt, I think he means he bought the software from a site without
realizing it was pirated and didn't find out it was pirated until he'd
sold it to someone else, since he never tried to use it. He's also one
of the victims. If you unknowingly had a counterfiet $20 bill and
someone caught it at the checkout stand do you think you should be
prosecuted for it? No. If he was intentionally doing this do you think
he'd post here for advice? Probably not.

Steve

Alex Nichol

Well, not sure what else to do since I can't really
contact microsoft about this. I was wondering what to do
with pirated software. The site I got it from is down so
there's nothing else I can do in that area, but what
about the pirated software I still have. Can't contact
microsoft because I don't have a PID. The worst part is I
didn't realize this until after I had sold it on eBay, I
never installed it so I didn't know.

About all you *can* do is send him a refund, with apologies, and write
off what you paid. Bear in mind that not one cent has gone to
Microsoft.

You can let Microsoft know at
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.asp
but if the site is already down it sounds as if action has already been
taken.

kurttrail

Steve said:
Kurt, I think he means he bought the software from a site without
realizing it was pirated and didn't find out it was pirated until he'd
sold it to someone else, since he never tried to use it. He's also one
of the victims. If you unknowingly had a counterfiet $20 bill and
someone caught it at the checkout stand do you think you should be
prosecuted for it? No. If he was intentionally doing this do you think
he'd post here for advice? Probably not.

Steve

An unwitting victim? I'm not convinced by his post. He probably bought
it real cheap, and had at least a fleeting suspicion that it wasn't all
that kosher. And that he sold it on ebay without opening it, also is a
bit suspicious. It should come out in the wash of his day in court.
;-)

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

Jim Macklin

Kurt, here is the kicker from the OP, "Well, not sure what
else to do since I can't really
| contact microsoft about this. I was wondering what to do
| with pirated software. The site I got it from is down so
| there's nothing else I can do in that area, but what
| about the pirated software I still have. Can't contact
| microsoft because I don't have a PID. The worst part is I
| didn't realize this until after I had sold it on eBay" It
sounds as though he bought a bunch to resell on eBay and
"get rich" else why would he say "but what about the pirated
software I still have."

"kurttrail" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
| Steve N. wrote:
|
| > Kurt, I think he means he bought the software from a
site without
| > realizing it was pirated and didn't find out it was
pirated until he'd
| > sold it to someone else, since he never tried to use it.
He's also one
| > of the victims. If you unknowingly had a counterfiet $20
bill and
| > someone caught it at the checkout stand do you think you
should be
| > prosecuted for it? No. If he was intentionally doing
this do you think
| > he'd post here for advice? Probably not.
| >
| > Steve
|
| An unwitting victim? I'm not convinced by his post. He
probably bought
| it real cheap, and had at least a fleeting suspicion that
it wasn't all
| that kosher. And that he sold it on ebay without opening
it, also is a
| bit suspicious. It should come out in the wash of his day
in court.
| ;-)
|
| --
| Peace!
| Kurt
| Self-anointed Moderator
| microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
| http://microscum.com
| "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an
Oxymoron!
| "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

Steve Nielsen

sgopus said:
Your post doesn't make sense.
He said no to a refund cause you didn't have the money at
the time???
What's wrong with this picture!!!

Missing pieces of the converstation, I'm sure.

Steve

Steve Nielsen

Jim said:
You at least owe the person you sold it to a full refund,
including all shipping and insurance charges. You also owe
eBay a full report.

You may also owe the State a few dollars or weeks.

Any pirated software you now have should be shipped to
Microsoft with a letter explaining how you got it.

Ask an ethic teacher or a lawyer, you may need both.

I think you're jumping to conclusions here Jim.

Seems to me like the OP was a victim, too, otherwise why would he be
posting here about it? It also seems unreasonable to me for you to
assume that because he got duped into buying and unknowingly re-selling
pirated software that he's got more pirated software.

Steve

Jim Macklin

There was a bank robber who had his get-away car stolen with
the loot still inside, he called the police to report the
stolen car. [If it didn't really happen it sounds good.]

I think he bought a bunch from one crook to resell on EBay
and his first customer complained. He has a stock and is
afraid to sell it. Yes he is a victim of his own greed.

I recommend the old movie, THE FLIM-FLAM MAN with George C.
Scott.

message | Jim Macklin wrote:

| > You at least owe the person you sold it to a full
refund,
| > including all shipping and insurance charges. You also
owe
| > eBay a full report.
| >
| > You may also owe the State a few dollars or weeks.
| >
| > Any pirated software you now have should be shipped to
| > Microsoft with a letter explaining how you got it.
| >
| > Ask an ethic teacher or a lawyer, you may need both.
| >

| I think you're jumping to conclusions here Jim.
|
| Seems to me like the OP was a victim, too, otherwise why
would he be
| posting here about it? It also seems unreasonable to me
for you to
| assume that because he got duped into buying and
unknowingly re-selling
| pirated software that he's got more pirated software.
|
| Steve

Steve Nielsen

Jim said:
Kurt, here is the kicker from the OP, "Well, not sure what
else to do since I can't really
| contact microsoft about this. I was wondering what to do
| with pirated software. The site I got it from is down so
| there's nothing else I can do in that area, but what
| about the pirated software I still have. Can't contact
| microsoft because I don't have a PID. The worst part is I
| didn't realize this until after I had sold it on eBay" It
sounds as though he bought a bunch to resell on eBay and
"get rich" else why would he say "but what about the pirated
software I still have."

Ooops! Dang! I don't know how I missed that part! Ok, I retract
everything I said to you and Kurt about it. Sorry.

Steve

Steve Nielsen

kurttrail said:
Steve N. wrote:

An unwitting victim? I'm not convinced by his post. He probably bought
it real cheap, and had at least a fleeting suspicion that it wasn't all
that kosher. And that he sold it on ebay without opening it, also is a
bit suspicious. It should come out in the wash of his day in court.
;-)

You're right. I missed the part about the rest of his pirated software.
Well, I read it but somehow it slipped past my brain.

Steve