ping Leonard Grey

Twayne

Leonard,

I'm curious; you seem to know something about this individual, yet don't
think there is anything you can do about it. You say there is nothing
you can do about it, but there actually may be things you can do about
it.
Do you actually have a name and description of this individual or are
you simply rationalizing that information as a possiblity? If so, how
did you come by his name and description?

You say you don't use MS but then I see in your headers:

Also, your posting host is on a blocklist or two:
Ref: http://www.robtex.com/ip/65.112.5.1.html for a few details.

Where do you think he is located? Are you sure it's a "he"?

Are you a student or employee at the University? Or are you simply
using their equipment?

Have you ever attempted to get an email from this individual? To a
throw-away account, of course; don't use your personal main accounts for
such a thing.

If I follow up the geographical injection point of the posts (yours and
his) will I find you are in the same geographical area?

There are ways to follow these things up, even as forged as they appear
to be. Certain lines can not be forged beyond funtionality although
they can have things added to them.

What have you tried so far?

Twayne

-------your ref post ---------------
Obviously, I would never say such a thing.

To bring people up to date:

I am the real Leonard Grey. The rude post copied below was not created
by me. It was created by a disturbed individual named Murphy.

Murphy is a very angry person, and he is apparently suffering side
effects from taking Rimonabant (brand name: Zimultri, produced by
Sanofi-Adventis.) Rimonabant is an anti-obesity drug that has been
documented by the United States FDA to cause severe depression.

Murphy's game is to try to impersonate people in these newsgroups, and
then make rude and even revolting posts in their names. He's done it to
nass, he's done it to me, and to others. Unfortunately, there's nothing
anyone can do about it, AFAIK.

It's not hard to tell the difference between posts made me - the real
me - and Murphy's impersonation. I never make posts like the ones Murphy
makes in my name. And I don't post from the MS web interface, as Murphy
does.

I won't post to this thread again, so any subsequent posts in this
thread that have my name on them are coming from Murphy.

To the OP: I'm sorry this mess has gotten in the way of your getting the
answer you need. Please understand there's nothing I can do about it.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Leonard said:
Rubbish!
I say it is a Malware issue.
Get Malewarebites, or whatever it is called.

Your headers:=================
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:28:58 -0400
From: Leonard Grey <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: 8000-10000 page faults per second
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

His headers:===================
From: =?Utf-8?B?TGVvbmFyZCBHcmV5?=
<[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 01:33:00 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

Leonard Grey

Dear OP:
Do not be fooled by the idiots/con artists that frequent these Newsgroups.

My name, "Leonard Grey", is just one of the many aliases that
spammers/spoofers use here.

You will have noticed the "subtle" way they are trying to push their weight
loss product rubbish.

Any posts from he/she, totally ignore for your own Net safety.
If you read between the lines of the reply, you will recognise the "True" me!

Regards.

Leonard Grey

Oh well. This is the fourth night in a row that Murphy is impersonating
me, and making posts under my name.

To the OP: I am the real Leonard Grey. I - and others in these
newsgroups - are being victimized by a poor soul by the name of Murphy.

Murphy's little game is to try to impersonate people in these
newsgroups, and then make ridiculous and even revolting posts in their
names - posts that we would never make on our own. Unfortunately,
there's nothing anyone can do about it.

It's not hard to tell the difference between posts made me - the real
me - and Murphy's impersonation. I never make posts like the ones Murphy
makes in my name. And I don't post from the MS web interface, as Murphy
does.

Murphy is a very angry person, and he is suffering side effects from
taking Rimonabant (brand name: Zimultri, produced by Sanofi-Adventis.)
Rimonabant is an anti-obesity drug that has been documented by the
United States FDA to cause severe depression.

I'm very sorry that your question has become wrapped up in this mess. I
won't be making any more posts to this thread, so any subsequent posts
that you read that have my name on them were not made by me.

To Murphy: I want to believe that you would not be making such a fool of
yourself were it not for Rimonabant, and whatever else you may be taking
to manage the side effects. Take yourself off these drugs, Murphy. You
don't need to hurt yourself any longer.

Leonard Grey

Hi Twayne:

I'll try to answer all your questions. Please see inline.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est
Leonard,

I'm curious; you seem to know something about this individual, yet don't
think there is anything you can do about it. You say there is nothing
you can do about it, but there actually may be things you can do about
it.

I say there isn't anything I can do because this is an unmoderated
public newsgroup and, as I understand it, there's no way to prevent
someone from posting to the newsgroup. There's also no way to prevent
someone from adopting the identity of someone else.
Do you actually have a name and description of this individual or are
you simply rationalizing that information as a possiblity? If so, how
did you come by his name and description?

I do not know the individual personally (obviously). I only know what I
read in his posts. Before he started impersonating people he called
himself Murphy. His first name may be Mick or Nick - he's used both in
the past. He may live in Australia - some of his early posts under his
own name had 'Australia' in the signature.

My involvement in this scandal began when someone calling himself Nick
Murphy began making disgusting posts about someone who helps out here -
name unimportant - who is of Pakistani heritage. No need to repeat the
vile things Murphy said about this individual. I came to the
individual's defense, and that put me on Murphy's hit list.

Several of Murphy's posts impersonating me and others have made mention
of Rimonabant and how he apparently thought it would help him lose
weight. I found out that Rimonabant is an anti-obesity drug which can
have ugly side effects, including severe depression. The FDA does not
allow it to be sold in the United States. (So he's probably posting from
outside the United States.)

Another reason I believe Rimonabant is affecting Murphy is that over
time his posts become more and more erratic, and eventually he sounds
like a raving madman.
You say you don't use MS but then I see in your headers:

Also, your posting host is on a blocklist or two:
Ref: http://www.robtex.com/ip/65.112.5.1.html for a few details.

What I said is that I don't use the Microsoft web interface to post to
these newsgroups. I use a newsreader (Thunderbird). I post to the
Microsoft newsgroups from several locations during the day, some of
which use servers owned by Harvard University to access the internet.
Where do you think he is located? Are you sure it's a "he"?

Are you a student or employee at the University? Or are you simply
using their equipment?

I think I answered those questions. I'm not a student at Harvard.
Have you ever attempted to get an email from this individual? To a
throw-away account, of course; don't use your personal main accounts for
such a thing.

I don't want to correspond with Murphy. I just want him to stop his
impersonations.
If I follow up the geographical injection point of the posts (yours and
his) will I find you are in the same geographical area?

I don't think so, and I understand that headers can be spoofed in any event.
There are ways to follow these things up, even as forged as they appear
to be. Certain lines can not be forged beyond funtionality although
they can have things added to them.

What have you tried so far?

So far I have not been threatened by Murphy, just impersonated. As long
as people realize that I am being impersonated, I'm okay. Sticks and
stones and all that. I don't have the patience or the skills to try and
chase this guy down. I just hope that some day he'll stop for his own
reasons.

Leonard Grey

Murphy...you've hit a new low by impersonating pcbutts. Now I'm really
disappointed in you.

Instead, show us how strong you are: Take yourself off the medication.
Deal with what you have to deal with. Take charge of your life. You can
be a role model, and maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to shake your hand.

Leonard Grey

Twayne, now you see what I am up against.
I use the Web interface. It is easier, and all I have to do is log into the
MS servers.
But, I DO have to log in!

This SPOOFER admits(the gall of it) to posting from different locations.
There has NEVER been a Nick Murphy post here!

A Mick Murphy DOES post here; but only helpful and informative posts to the
OPs.
Go through the various posts yourself.
Where this weight thing comes from, I have no idea, other than his and
another fake poster "nass".

This fake "grey" has all the properties of a Troll:

http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile/anti_troll_faq.htm

I have read all the stereotypes of a Troll above, and this "grey" fits most
of them.
As you can see, all we can do, is put up with it, and HOPE that he just GOES
AWAY!

Thank you for your time.

Leonard Grey

PCbutts, now you see what I am up against.
[...]

Give it up, Murphy. We're all on to you.

This is the last post that I will make to this thread. Any further
posting to this thread that carries my name is being done by Murphy, not me.

Goodnight, Murphy.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Leonard said:
Twayne, now you see what I am up against.
etc. etc.

Leonard Grey

Twayne; his agenda appears to be stopping me posting to OPs here, by
discrediting me.

Ken Blake, MVP

pcbutts, now you see what I am up against.
I use the Web interface. It is easier, and all I have to do is log into the
MS servers.

I'm staying out of the spoofing issue, but I'm addressing the last
sentence above. I'm amazed that you think that the web interface is
easier than using a newsreader. From my point of view, you have it
exactly backwards; the web interface is the slowest, poorest, most
likely to result in a problem way to participate in newsgroups.

If you really think it's easier, my guess is that you have very little
experience using a newsreader. Do yourself a favor and at least
temporarily, but long enough so you can really evaluate it, switch to
a newsreader, such as Outlook Express, which comes with Windows. See

Twayne

Leonard said:

Whether you're the real one or not doesn't matter; the real one, which
seems to be you, may still be interested in this:
Inline:
Hi Twayne:

I'll try to answer all your questions. Please see inline.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

I say there isn't anything I can do because this is an unmoderated
public newsgroup and, as I understand it, there's no way to prevent
someone from posting to the newsgroup. There's also no way to prevent
someone from adopting the identity of someone else.

What this poser is doing is violating several aup and tos policies. He
CAN be stopped by chasing down and reporting his abuse to his provider/s
and their upstreams. The other way to really PO a poser is often to
simply ignore them. They'll often get so mad they have a meltdown and
finally go elsewhere.
I do not know the individual personally (obviously). I only know what
I read in his posts. Before he started impersonating people he called
himself Murphy. His first name may be Mick or Nick - he's used both in
the past. He may live in Australia - some of his early posts under his
own name had 'Australia' in the signature.

If he is in Australia, they are very strict about any kind of internet
abuse. He can easily lost his accounts for abuse if he's in Oz; they
actually enforce their rules & regulations.
My involvement in this scandal began when someone calling himself Nick
Murphy began making disgusting posts about someone who helps out here
- name unimportant - who is of Pakistani heritage. No need to repeat
the vile things Murphy said about this individual. I came to the
individual's defense, and that put me on Murphy's hit list.

Several of Murphy's posts impersonating me and others have made
mention of Rimonabant and how he apparently thought it would help him
lose
weight. I found out that Rimonabant is an anti-obesity drug which can
have ugly side effects, including severe depression. The FDA does not
allow it to be sold in the United States. (So he's probably posting
from outside the United States.)

Anything he has said is likely to be false; nothng he says can be
assumed to have any truth to it. I've read the posts you refer to.
Another reason I believe Rimonabant is affecting Murphy is that over
time his posts become more and more erratic, and eventually he sounds
like a raving madman.

That's actually typical of any socio-path or psycho-path; it simply
means he is reacting to not achieving the amount of lost power he's
feeling. Unlike many who have no conscience he does actually read and
is apparently bothered by the responses although he tries not to show
it.
That's another reason ignoring him might hasten his demise here if
he's simply 100% ignored. Too bad to have to say it in the open like
this, but if I were you, I'd create another name to use (keeping your
current one) and use it for your more practical responses, the other for
less important ones. Don't let the old name disappear right away or
it'll be obvious who you actually switched to. It's really NBD to start
with a new monicker when you are a good participant to a group; you'll
be recognized for your contributions and just let that exist until it
(poser/s) disappear or more on.
What I said is that I don't use the Microsoft web interface to post to
these newsgroups. I use a newsreader (Thunderbird). I post to the
Microsoft newsgroups from several locations during the day, some of
which use servers owned by Harvard University to access the internet.

I think I answered those questions. I'm not a student at Harvard.

I don't want to correspond with Murphy. I just want him to stop his
impersonations.

In that case stop communicating with it entirely, completely and
permanently. Announce it if you wish, but then do it.
I don't think so, and I understand that headers can be spoofed in any
event.

Sort of right; sort of wrong. Only certain parts of headers can be
forged. Once a post has left his own ISP (and any server he might own,
which I doubt is the case), all following headers are accurate because
he never sees nor has access to them. It's just like e-mail envelopes.
Also, if you know what to do with them, there are a LOT of data in those
headers. Newsgroups give a lot of people a feeling of security but ...
it's not as secure as they think they are.
So far I have not been threatened by Murphy, just impersonated. As
long as people realize that I am being impersonated, I'm okay. Sticks
and
stones and all that. I don't have the patience or the skills to try
and chase this guy down. I just hope that some day he'll stop for his
own reasons.

In other words, you do not want any assistance:
Then you are part of the problem and a self fulfilling prophecy. Such
an attitude can not be assisted - it becomes a complete waste of time.
To refuse assistance that way signifies something, I'm not sure what,
but it is a little suspicious to boot.
Too bad.

Twayne

PCbutts, now you see what I am up against.
I use the Web interface. It is easier, and all I have to do is log
into the MS servers.
But, I DO have to log in!

I'm confused. You have said before you don't use MS applications?, and
here you say you're using the Web Interface, and yet, your HEADERS
clearly show that you're using ThunderBird, the Mozilla e-mail client.

If you're using the Web interface, you're not useing TB.
If you're using TB, you're not useing the Web interface.

Are there symantics/syntax problems here, or what? Which is it?
Whether you're the poser or the real, that's pretty bad for consistancy.
Also it looks like the poser's headers more than the real one.

Twayne

Yeah, it's probably not wise to get into this one unless it's just for
the challenge/entertainment value. I've looked back through a bunch of
the headers & put them thru comparators vs content and I'm not certain
this isn't actually just all from only one person writing to himself.
If you look back at the post you responded to, it's pretty clearly sent
with ThunderBird, Moz's email client where for a Web interface it should
have been FireFox, not TB. Other sets of posts show that same
discrepency and some other funnies.
You have to make some assumptions about forged or not, from Leonard
at least, and if you follow the .edu header awhile back it looks more
like an injection or open proxy than it does a legitimately used
connection.
Personally I think my interest is gone; whether I'm right or wrong,
I'm quickly losing interest. Too many things just don't match up and the
OP as much as said he doesn't want any assistance. .

Regards,

Twayne

Ken Blake said:

Leonard Grey

Hi Twayne:

I want to thank you sincerely for the interest you have taken in my
problem and the assistance you have provided.

I made a post earlier where I actually did follow your advice, in that I
am now ignoring any posts that Murphy makes in my name.

Essentially, what I said is that I have been posting in the Microsoft
newsgroups long enough that the regulars and almost-regulars can
probably distinguish posts made by me, the real Leonard Grey, from phony
posts made in my name. My attitudes and the way I express myself, for
better or worse, are a known quantity.

Murphy now has free reign to say anything he wants in my name, no matter
how ludicrous or repulsive. Let him be his own undoing.

I hope you won't feel too upset with me for not pursuing Murphy any
further. As long as I am safe from harm, it's just sticks and stones.
And to be quite blunt: I don't feel it's a productive use of my time and
energy to chase down some lowlife who's not even worth the electrons
he's wasting.

Thank you again for your concern.

Ken Blake, MVP

Yeah, it's probably not wise to get into this one unless it's just for
the challenge/entertainment value. I've looked back through a bunch of
the headers & put them thru comparators vs content and I'm not certain
this isn't actually just all from only one person writing to himself.
If you look back at the post you responded to, it's pretty clearly sent
with ThunderBird, Moz's email client where for a Web interface it should
have been FireFox, not TB. Other sets of posts show that same
discrepency and some other funnies.
You have to make some assumptions about forged or not, from Leonard
at least, and if you follow the .edu header awhile back it looks more
like an injection or open proxy than it does a legitimately used
connection.

Yes, I knew that I might be replying to a forged message, but I didn't
bother to check the headers. I assumed that what I wrote would be
available to Leonard, as well as to other participants here.

Top