PING: John Corliss - PromiseWare?

TW

John,

I don't have a copy of the group charter; maybe you can answer this
one for us. Re the ongoing topic "Mandrake on the move", this
concerns the live CD that can be D/L from their site.

The downloader is asked to do one of 2 things:

1) Join the Mandrake Club for $60, or
2) Promise to join it later

Kind of odd, to me.

TIA,
Ted
e-mail modified, take the ** out to reply!

Regards, TW

kilocycles***@***yahoo.com

Ben Cooper

TW said:
John,

I don't have a copy of the group charter; maybe you can answer this
one for us. Re the ongoing topic "Mandrake on the move", this
concerns the live CD that can be D/L from their site.

The downloader is asked to do one of 2 things:

1) Join the Mandrake Club for $60, or
2) Promise to join it later

Kind of odd, to me.

Congratulations! You win!

Steven Burn

TW said:
John,

I don't have a copy of the group charter; maybe you can answer this
one for us. Re the ongoing topic "Mandrake on the move", this
concerns the live CD that can be D/L from their site.

The downloader is asked to do one of 2 things:

1) Join the Mandrake Club for $60, or
2) Promise to join it later

Kind of odd, to me.

TIA,
Ted
e-mail modified, take the ** out to reply!

Regards, TW

kilocycles***@***yahoo.com

Personally....... I'd leave it well alone if it's asking that.

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

John Corliss

TW said:
John,
I don't have a copy of the group charter;

There isn't one. I used to run an F.A.Q., but not any more. John
Fitzsimons is still running one here though:

http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq
maybe you can answer this
one for us. Re the ongoing topic "Mandrake on the move", this
concerns the live CD that can be D/L from their site.
The downloader is asked to do one of 2 things:

1) Join the Mandrake Club for $60, or
2) Promise to join it later

Kind of odd, to me.

I wonder how or if they can enforce such promises made by people.
Regardless, there are enough other distros of Linux out there that
this can be avoided thoroughly. I for one would never download their
software because of this requirement.

Joachim Ziebs

Hi John!

This is misquoted. See below.
I wonder how or if they can enforce such promises made by people.

They can't and I doubt they would ever try to.
The page says:

---
I agree to support Mandrake Linux, please send me to the Mandrake Linux
Users Club Registration page

I'm already a member of the Club or plan on registering soon, please send me
to the download page
---

Nobody forces you to join. You may click on the second link and pass to the
page with the download mirrors.
No further questions asked. No need to register...
Regardless, there are enough other distros of Linux out there that
this can be avoided thoroughly. I for one would never download their
software because of this requirement.

Which requirement?

Greetings,

Joachim

donutbandit

Nobody forces you to join. You may click on the second link and pass
to the page with the download mirrors.
No further questions asked. No need to register...

Doesn't this sound a lot like shareware that never "forces" you to pay?

Linux is hurting. A major emergency rewrite of the kernel because of
security issues in the past month, and numerous issues in the past 6
months.

Hey, Linuxheads - reality is now invading YOUR world.

John Corliss

Joachim said:
Hi John!

This is misquoted. See below.

They can't and I doubt they would ever try to.
The page says:

---
I agree to support Mandrake Linux, please send me to the Mandrake Linux
Users Club Registration page

I'm already a member of the Club or plan on registering soon, please send me
to the download page
---

Nobody forces you to join. You may click on the second link and pass to the
page with the download mirrors.
No further questions asked. No need to register...

Which requirement?

Joachim,
Guess there isn't one. Thanks for the clarification.

Alastair Smeaton

Joachim Ziebs wrote:

Joachim,
Guess there isn't one. Thanks for the clarification.

John,

Isn't often i would be more picky than you when talking about freeware
definitions :) But....

The language used by Mandrake is strange - you have to tell them that
you plan to register before you can download. Most other freeware will
either not ask for any donation or sign up, or give you the
opportunity to do so, but I have never seen any who ask you to promise
to do it -

Of course, in reality, you can get the distro without compromising
your privacy, and without paying cash etc - so I have no great
complaint - but there *is* a requirement - you have to say you *plan*
to register - which i think makes it promiseware - a bit like
postcardware - you need to say you will send a postcard :)

cheers

Joachim Ziebs

Hi Alastair!

Alastair Smeaton said:
Isn't often i would be more picky than you when talking about freeware
definitions :) But....

The language used by Mandrake is strange - you have to tell them that
you plan to register before you can download. Most other freeware will
either not ask for any donation or sign up, or give you the
opportunity to do so, but I have never seen any who ask you to promise
to do it -

If you google for "Mandrake Download mirrors" you might find exact the same
page without have to promise anything.
Or, surf ftp servers directly for ISOs.

Greetings,

Joachim

Joachim Ziebs

Hi!

donutbandit said:
Doesn't this sound a lot like shareware that never "forces" you to pay?

No.
Shareware is shareware by licence.
Linux is free by licence. However, no Linux distribution has to offer ISO
downloads (Suse doesn't, for example), but most of them do.
Linux is hurting. A major emergency rewrite of the kernel because of
security issues in the past month, and numerous issues in the past 6
months.

What are you talking about?
I did not hear about an emergency rewrite of any kernel.
If you try to poke on that 2.6 issue, have a look at what Linus had to say
about it. AFAIK it went: "yes, the issue is there, but it can't be
exploited."

Greetings,

Joachim

John Corliss

donutbandit said:
Doesn't this sound a lot like shareware that never "forces" you to pay?

As long as it doesn't nag you to do so, it would not be the same.
Linux is hurting. A major emergency rewrite of the kernel because of
security issues in the past month, and numerous issues in the past 6
months.

Hey, Linuxheads - reality is now invading YOUR world.

Right. But now with China, Korea and Japan cooperating to write a
distro, that may be a thing of the past shortly.

Alastair Smeaton

Hi Alastair!
If you google for "Mandrake Download mirrors" you might find exact the same
page without have to promise anything.
Or, surf ftp servers directly for ISOs.

Greetings,

Joachim

sure - I like mandrake, have used it in the past - I just think the
language is kinda strange.

Like :

Mum - "You can have an ice cream if you tidy your room afterwards"

Son - "Sure " :)

It's one of these things I guess - definitely on-topic here,
definitely freeware in my understanding - but some, possibly including
John, like to use other terms eg postcardware etc - the OP suggested
Promiseware - that's how it sounds to me :)

PS - if you know Mandrake, does the latest version automatically
detect usb adsl modems like alcatel speedtouch - that's what I am
waiting for before I try to migrate one more time :)

cheers

Joachim Ziebs

Hi Alastair!

Alastair Smeaton said:
sure - I like mandrake, have used it in the past - I just think the
language is kinda strange.

Being business language, it does not surprise me.
PS - if you know Mandrake, does the latest version automatically
detect usb adsl modems like alcatel speedtouch - that's what I am
waiting for before I try to migrate one more time :)

I have posted some links to get this beast working here.
But I don't think it will work out of the box. Get a real one (ethernet
connection) instead. This will work with any OS.
:)

Greetings,

Joachim

Alastair Smeaton

Hi Alastair!

Being business language, it does not surprise me.

Business language ? Take this software - but please promise to give us
some info or money later ? Don't think so :)
I have posted some links to get this beast working here.
But I don't think it will work out of the box. Get a real one (ethernet
connection) instead. This will work with any OS.
:)

Greetings,

Joachim

Thanks - just set up a new machine with XP - will come back to
Mandrake maybe in a few months

cheers

dszady

From: Alastair Smeaton <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Re: PING: John Corliss - PromiseWare?
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:20:25 +0000

Hi Alastair!

Alastair Smeaton <[email protected]> [So, 18 Jan 2004 um 14:50 GMT]:
[...]
Thanks - just set up a new machine with XP - will come back to
Mandrake maybe in a few months

cheers
New machine with XP tomorrow. I need speed. 366 to 2.7 :)