David H. Lipman

From: <[email protected]>

| Are these legit?

| C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Application
| Data\Microsoft\CardSpace\CardSpaceSP2.db: Permission denied
| C:\pagefile.sys: Permission denied
| C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default: Permission denied
| C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM: Permission denied
| C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY: Permission denied
| C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software: Permission denied
| C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system: Permission denied

Totally !

You can't scan them because they are being used by the OS and their respective File
Handles are held open.

The Central Scrutinizer

Which is why you have to boot with a CD to be able to scan these files.
Avast BART
CD routinely will find malware/virii in the pagefile. You cannot scan your
disk from
the OS that may be compromised. Anyone who does may be incompetent :)

Greg

The Central Scrutinizer

Um is what legit? the filenames??? Or the fact that something says
permission denied? You do not even give the context.

David H. Lipman

From: "The Central Scrutinizer" <[email protected]>

| Which is why you have to boot with a CD to be able to scan these files.
| Avast BART
| CD routinely will find malware/virii in the pagefile. You cannot scan your
| disk from
| the OS that may be compromised. Anyone who does may be incompetent :)

| Greg

There is NO reason to scan these files for "virii" 'cause there isn't such a thing as
'viri' or 'virii'.

FromTheRafters

Are these legit?

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\CardSpace\CardSpaceSP2.db: Permission denied
C:\pagefile.sys: Permission denied
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default: Permission denied
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM: Permission denied
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY: Permission denied
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software: Permission denied
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system: Permission denied

The last five are registry storage files, the second is the virtual
memory paging file, and the first appears to a
be a database file. All are being protected by the OS which is
completely normal.

Dustin Cook

Um is what legit? the filenames??? Or the fact that something says
permission denied? You do not even give the context.

You really should know those filenames... Even if you know nothing else,
those you should know. I'll give you a hint. Some of them make up the
registry in windows. *grin*.

Gufus

From: Gufus
Subj: Re: Permission DeninedWed, 17 Mar 2010 16:37:46 -0600

From: David H. Lipman---? To: (e-mail address removed)
Subj: Re: Permission DeninedMon, 15 Mar 2010 22:07:24 -0400

Hello, David!

You wrote on Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:07:24 -0400:

??|> Are these legit?

??|> C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Application
??|> Data\Microsoft\CardSpace\CardSpaceSP2.db: Permission denied
??|> C:\pagefile.sys: Permission denied
??|> C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default: Permission denied
??|> C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM: Permission denied
??|> C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY: Permission denied
??|> C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software: Permission denied
??|> C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system: Permission denied

DHL> Totally !

DHL> You can't scan them because they are being used by the OS and their
DHL> respective File Handles are held open.

Had that same problem...

Took me awhile to see that they were open.

Gufus

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com