Performance Problem witn WebService

Nikolay S

PocketPC 2002
VC#

I'm getting an webservice method from remote server on the Device, but the
execution is slow (I'm mean really slow)
And it is true for all my wegbservices, it doesn't metter if I give the IP
Address or The Server Name

Any Ideas?

Thx

Bardak

In general the first call to a web service will cause the biggest delay
(since all the code for the web service call is JITted in addition to
address resolution delays). Further call should be a lot faster
(propotional to the speed of actual data transfer).

To improve performance you can do the following:
1. Perform the initial call to the web service when the applicaiton starts
or in a background thread. This will absorb most of the delay for the
initial call.
2. Reduce the amount of data in the call itself (avoid using Datasets that
contains a LOT of metadata). If you need to transfer large database updates
you better use SQLCE and its update mechanism (more efficient).

Hope this helps.

Bar(d)ak Cohen
..NET For Devices
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
From: "Nikolay S" <[email protected]>
Subject: Performance Problem witn WebService
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:40:05 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

PocketPC 2002
VC#

I'm getting an webservice method from remote server on the Device, but the
execution is slow (I'm mean really slow)
And it is true for all my wegbservices, it doesn't metter if I give the IP
Address or The Server Name

Any Ideas?

Thx

-Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only
-This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Nikolay S

No the problem is not the compiling,
I'm almost sure it is a connecting to the server
It's look like forever.

And the Data Transfer is very simple
(login screen) nothing big.

I'm using ActiveSync as a transport not a real network connection.

And may be I'll try one to see.