percentage not working right

winnieluvpooh

I have a 21 column worksheet. Once a month the managers send in there
evolutions. Once they come in I mark them as complete and then add up
the number that we received and come up with the % that is complete for
the month.

I finally made this in an excel spearsheet, but the % calulations comes
out wrong. example: if we had 6 out of 21 come in then the percentage
should be 30%. Well it comes back as 600%. I have tried to fix it,
but it won't work. What am I doing wrong?

winnie is :confused:

Dave Peterson

You may want to post more of your formulas.

Somewhere along the line, you should have a formula that looks like:

=6/21
=A17/B17
or something that gets divided by something else)
(with the cell formatted as percentage.)

Alan

This doesn't add up,
If you format cells as 'Percentage'
6 divided by 21 is 28.57%
21 divided by 6 is 350%
To get a percentage, divide the lesser number by the greater number, but
your examples are strange,
If the figures you are using come from formulas then you may have a rounding
issue but this would not put the figures that far out,
Are you using numbers in cells formatted as text? Where does the data come
from, ie is it from the web?
Regards,
Alan.

"winnieluvpooh" <[email protected]>