PDF 2 DOC converter?

heldmar

Anyone knows a good PDF to DOC converter, even better if it has
batch process for manny files conversion. Thanks.

John Corliss

heldmar said:
Anyone knows a good PDF to DOC converter, even better if it has
batch process for manny files conversion. Thanks.

Heldmar,
I looked and looked, but there is no freeware one that I could find.
Most likely you would need to use something like PDF to HTML:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdftohtml

then open the generated webpage(s) in OpenOffice.org and save to some
other format.

Maybe somebody else has a better idea. I certainly hope so.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls, especially "Chrissy Cruiser". No adware,

mthatcher1234

heldmar said:
Anyone knows a good PDF to DOC converter, even better if it has
batch process for manny files conversion. Thanks.

Google for pdftxt1.zip

I keep the following batch file in the pdftxt1 folder:-
ren *.pdf convert.pdf
pdftxt1 convert.pdf

I then copy the file I want to convert to the pdftxt1 folder and run
the batch file. The txt file that you need will be created in the same
folder as pdftxt1.
It will be called 'convert.txt'

I then copy and paste into my word processor and save as a doc file.
I lose formatting but it is better than nothing.

If you don't understand batch files email me and I will explain more
about them

Margaret

John Corliss

Google for pdftxt1.zip

I keep the following batch file in the pdftxt1 folder:-
ren *.pdf convert.pdf
pdftxt1 convert.pdf

I then copy the file I want to convert to the pdftxt1 folder and run
the batch file. The txt file that you need will be created in the same
folder as pdftxt1. It will be called 'convert.txt'
I then copy and paste into my word processor and save as a doc file.
I lose formatting but it is better than nothing.
If you don't understand batch files email me and I will explain more
about them

Margaret, that's some pretty good stuff. However, one thing I notice
about that program is that it sometimes removes spaces between words
from the resulting files. If you're editing a large document, correcting
such things can be very tedious.

I would have to say that a good .pdf to .doc or (better yet) .rtf
converter is something that could easily be added to the Pricelessware
Wish List:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2003/freewarewishlist.htm

Incidentally, if Susan is reading this... is that list still up to date?

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls, especially "Chrissy Cruiser". No adware,
cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware, nagware,
PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware,
viruses or warez please.

heldmar

I understand your batch process, I appreciate your kindness but it
won't work for me, because what I need is to convert to DOC because my
PDF contains some tables I want to preserve like tables, anyway, thanks
for your response.

old jon

heldmar said:
Anyone knows a good PDF to DOC converter, even better if it has
batch process for manny files conversion. Thanks.
In Acrobat reader (not sure which versions), it is possible to Select
All\Copy and then paste into MS Word. Give it a try.
best wishes..OJ

sno

Not exactly a freeware solution...but if you have finereader
or omnipage pro on your computer, can load the pdf file into them and
then save as ms word....will do both the pic and txt in the
pdf file...

hope helps....sno

old said:
In Acrobat reader (not sure which versions), it is possible to Select
All\Copy and then paste into MS Word. Give it a try.
best wishes..OJ

--
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

This tag line is generated by:

SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)

old jon

Hi sno. Heldmar wanted to know, not me <g>.

sno said:
Not exactly a freeware solution...but if you have finereader
or omnipage pro on your computer, can load the pdf file into them and
then save as ms word....will do both the pic and txt in the
pdf file...

hope helps....sno

--
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

This tag line is generated by:

SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)

sno

Whoops.....hope he spots my reply....think he probably will..<grin>...

have fun......sno

old said:
Hi sno. Heldmar wanted to know, not me <g>.

--
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

This tag line is generated by:

SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)

Susan Bugher

John said:
I would have to say that a good .pdf to .doc or (better yet) .rtf
converter is something that could easily be added to the Pricelessware
Wish List:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2003/freewarewishlist.htm

Incidentally, if Susan is reading this... is that list still up to date?

It was updated recently (the last revision was on August 5, 2005). See this thread:

Subject: [ACF] Freeware Wish List
Date: Sun, 17 Jul

I asked people to "adopt" wishes => take responsibility for them. I removed wishes that were not
adopted. FWIW - the old list is here: http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/FreewareWishList-OLD.php

I think it would be helpful to add some notes about procedures to the web page. Perhaps:

1. any ACF participant may request the addition of a wish
2. before making a request the wish should be discussed in ACF to determine if a Freeware app
already exists that fulfills the wish
3. the wishmaker must furnish the wish description (as it should appear on the web page)
4. the wishmaker should respond to questions about it in ACF, update the wish description as needed
and request its removal if the wish is fulfilled

Note: Wishes may be adopted by someone else if a wishmaker stops participating in the ACF newsgroup.
Wishes that have no "owner" are removed.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

mthatcher1234

John said:
Margaret, that's some pretty good stuff. However, one thing I notice
about that program is that it sometimes removes spaces between words
from the resulting files. If you're editing a large document, correcting
such things can be very tedious.

Yes, pdftxt1 is abandonware - not the finished article. However,as my
mum used to say 'Beggars can't be choosers' It's the best I could find.

WOW! One person thanking me and another telling me it was good stuff!!
Much more civilised than the Computer Chess Bulletin Board I subscribe
to. Maybe you would disagree with that John........?

John Corliss

old said:
In Acrobat reader (not sure which versions), it is possible to Select
All\Copy and then paste into MS Word. Give it a try.
best wishes..OJ

I just started downloading OpenOffice.org to see if that idea will work
in it. Probably not, but I'll get back about it. The main problem I've
seen in the past is that paragraph breaks are lost.

Incidentally, I'm downloading the Developer Snapshot Build 1.9.m122. No
point in messing around with 1.4.

Geez, that was fast. Took a total of about 45 seconds to get a 76.5 mb
file! Cable sure beats dialup hands down.

I'll get back about this.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls, especially "Chrissy Cruiser". No adware,
cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware, nagware,
PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware,
viruses or warez please.

John Fitzsimons

I would have to say that a good .pdf to .doc or (better yet) .rtf
converter is something that could easily be added to the Pricelessware
Wish List:

Incidentally, if Susan is reading this... is that list still up to date?

Bye the way, Susan, can we add .....

TEXT : GUI spell checker for all files in a directory without needing
to open them one by one manually.

In other words automate the spell checking of every file BUT
automatically open/close all files that don't have spelling errors.
Leaving behind only files with spelling errors in. Then being able to
correct, close, move to the next file to correct easily.

No Existing Freeware. :-(

Regards, John.

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

John Corliss

John said:
I just started downloading OpenOffice.org to see if that idea will work
in it. Probably not, but I'll get back about it. The main problem I've
seen in the past is that paragraph breaks are lost.

Incidentally, I'm downloading the Developer Snapshot Build 1.9.m122. No
point in messing around with 1.4.

Geez, that was fast. Took a total of about 45 seconds to get a 76.5 mb
file! Cable sure beats dialup hands down.

I'll get back about this.

Well, that sucks. I opened a .pdf file I've been trying to convert as an
experiment, selected all the file and copied it to the clipboard. Then I
pasted it into the OO.o word processor module in a new document.
Although in the original .pdf document all paragraphs are indented at
the start somehow (by either spaces, a tab or some other means) that
formatting is lost in the process. And since (as usual) all lines wind
up with hard returns, there is absolutely no way to tell the paragraphs
apart.

Experiment was a failure. Now to see if I can get OO.o off my system. 80)>

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like "Chrissy Cruiser" or "Slowhand Hussein."

John said:
Bye the way, Susan, can we add .....

TEXT : GUI spell checker for all files in a directory without needing
to open them one by one manually.

In other words automate the spell checking of every file BUT
automatically open/close all files that don't have spelling errors.
Leaving behind only files with spelling errors in. Then being able to
correct, close, move to the next file to correct easily.

No Existing Freeware. :-(

Done.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

mthatcher1234

John said:
Well, that sucks. I opened a .pdf file I've been trying to convert as an
experiment, selected all the file and copied it to the clipboard. Then I
pasted it into the OO.o word processor module in a new document.
Although in the original .pdf document all paragraphs are indented at
the start somehow (by either spaces, a tab or some other means) that
formatting is lost in the process. And since (as usual) all lines wind
up with hard returns, there is absolutely no way to tell the paragraphs
apart.

Experiment was a failure. Now to see if I can get OO.o off my system. 80)>

Next time, if you use Portable Open Office, all you will have to do is
delete the folder. It claims that it does not touch the registry or
Documents and Setiings or Windows\System32. I have not verified this
myself yet.

John Corliss

Next time, if you use Portable Open Office, all you will have to do is
delete the folder. It claims that it does not touch the registry or
Documents and Setiings or Windows\System32. I have not verified this
myself yet.

Thanks for the tip, but it really wasn't so hard. I did the following:

1. Uninstalled OO.o via the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel module
2. Rebooted
3. Did a System Restore (which reboots the system of course)
4. Deleted a left over OOo subfolder in the C:\WINDOWS\Application Data
folder.

On second though, maybe it was a PITA. 80)>

Thanks again.

http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/portable_openoffice/

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like "Chrissy Cruiser", for instance.