PC slows up when printing

G

When I print anything (Word doc, Excel spreadhseet etc) the whole pc slows down. To give an idea of the impact, MP3 playback from WMP becomes jittery, apps take 3 - 4 times as long to load. The printer is a bog standard HP Deskjet which is connected to LTP1 and has its' own power supply.

Anyone got any ideas why this happens
Thx
MP

G

Hi
First of all make sure you have Updated Drivers for the printer and also make sure your machine is not infected with Virus infections. Install Antivirus application and update your virus definitions to date ( if you dont have any ) .

I also suggest complete uninstall of the driver and cleanup and then proper installation of the Printer ( With updated driver )

Thanks

G

Hi,
I have the latest drivers from HP. I also have an anti-virus package which I religiously keep up to date. I've had this problem with other PCs in the past whcih were connected to this printer. It's only now that I've decided that I should do something about it.

It almost seems like there is a bottleneck somewhere...either the printer job has got too high a priority or that the print buffer is too small...something like that

T

Thomas Ferguson

Yes.

The computer is running the print job in the background. Parts of the
printing process are CPU and others are disk-subsystem intensive. As these
occur, other tasks are starved of computing resources. This is especially
true using printers that use the Windows GDI/Windows rasteriser to produce
page images to be sent to the printer as graphics (ink jets, impact
dot-matrix, for example). Printers with generous memory of their own and
their own in-built rasterisers (Lasers, for example) are usually much
faster.

You can speed up the actual printing process by changing spooler settings to
send the job directly to the printer. However, the trade-off is that the
computer cannot multi-task until the print job is completed. So, printing is
faster but the computer does nothing else while printing.

Hope this helps.

Tom
MSMVP-DTS

Ask a Question