PC gaming market worth £29 billion in 2016

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
According to a new report, the worldwide gaming market was worth £74 billion in 2016, of which £29 billion related to PC gaming. PC Gamer has more:

Gaming "is growing at tremendous rates and incorporating new media and platforms, expanding its reach," the report says. "Going far beyond the traditional 'gamer' dynamic, the games and playable media audience is now one of the most valuable and engaged demographics, and brand owners are paying attention."

Premium game revenues on the PC hit $5.4 billion for the year, not too far off of the $6.6 billion earned across consoles. Overwatch led the way, earning $586 million, followed by CS:GO, Guild Wars 2, Minecraft, and Fallout 4. But the real money remains with free-to-play games: League of Legends once again tops that chart at $1.7 billion, followed by Dungeon Fighter Challenge, Crossfire, World of Tanks, and Dota 2, which brought in a relatively paltry $260 million.

Read more here.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
hmmmph, I'm still waiting to get paid for playing.

gamer.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm really pleased that PC Gaming has such a large market share - a few years ago I could have imagined PC gaming biting the dust in the near future (at least for AAA titles). Ironically, it is probably the similarity in console hardware that ensure we've got a huge selection of games to play :D.

Ask a Question