password

Henry

Hello: When I log on windows is asking for a new
password.I have forgotten the old one, before I can
create a new one they want the old one. Please advise.
Thanks for your help.
HJB

Paul [MSFT]

Hi Henry,

If a user password is lost, forgotten, or unknown, the only *supported*
method to reset the password is for the administrator or a user with
administrative access to log on and reset the password using Computer /
User Management. There is no other *supported* method in the Windows
XP/2000 security model to bypass, disable, or reset the password.

Q: Have you tried logging in using the default Administrator account?

POSSIBLE STEPS:

Windows XP Pro:
1. At the log-in screen, press Ctrl/Alt/Del twice quickly
2. For user type "Administrator"

Windows XP Home:
1. Reboot, tapping F8 each second.
2. Select Safe Mode at the menu.
3. Select Administrator,

Password:
1. Leave password blank.
2. Try obvious passwords such "password" a Maiden name, child's name or
pet name.

If you are able to log in,
1. go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
2. Select the user and change the password.

NOTE: If you are using Windows XP Pro and have encrypted data, you may
permanently lose access to the encrypted data.

If the administrator password is lost, forgotten, or unknown, access to the
computer may not be obtainable and the operating system may need to be
reinstalled.

There may be an unsupported method of recovering your password, which you
might find documented on the Internet, but it would be irresponsible from a
security standpoint to document these methods here.

MORE INFORMATION:

Microsoft KB:
321305 How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your
Password Expired
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321305

Jupiter Jones' Security Site:
Steps Lost / Forgotten / Expired Passwords
[Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE