Password lockout.

larry

I am running XP PRO on a compaq presario for the last few months
and yesterday when I booted up it looked for a log on password.I have never
used
one to log on.I had a look at the Microsoft Knowledge base and thought I
found a fix,
"to open the setupact.log "but it kept telling me bad command.Need some help
aat this stage.Tnks in advance.

Sharon F

I am running XP PRO on a compaq presario for the last few months
and yesterday when I booted up it looked for a log on password.I have never
used
one to log on.I had a look at the Microsoft Knowledge base and thought I
found a fix,
"to open the setupact.log "but it kept telling me bad command.Need some help
aat this stage.Tnks in advance.

If you installed the DotNET framework update, it adds a user account to
the system. Although it doesn't display on the Welcome screen, its
presence will cause a stop there and you are prompted to logon. You can
regain the automatic logon by:

-- Installing TweakUI and setting up your account for autologon
OR
-- Use Start> Run and type in CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 Uncheck the box
next to "all users must enter username and passwords. You will be asked
which user to logon automatically. Answer the prompts to finish up.

Sharon F
MS MVP [Shell/User]

Ronnie Vernon MVP

larry said:
The problem is that I cannot log on to do any of that.

MVP??

Larry

Reboot the system and start tapping the F8 key when the system initializes
until you see a menu appear. Select the Safe Mode option using the arrow
keys and press ENTER. Log on with the System Administrator account. (This
account should not require a password) Make the necessary changes there.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Joined
Apr 30, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
xp password lockout

Ronnie,
THANK YOU!!! I followed your instructions to a "T" and have regained control. You are the BEST!! Thank you for sharing your expertise with those of us who probably shouldn't even own a computer. BUT, knowing there are guy's like you and sites like this gives us the courage to grow. MUCH appreciated.

Ronnie Vernon MVP said:
larry wrote:
> The problem is that I cannot log on to do any of that.
>
> MVP??

Larry

Reboot the system and start tapping the F8 key when the system initializes
until you see a menu appear. Select the Safe Mode option using the arrow
keys and press ENTER. Log on with the System Administrator account. (This
account should not require a password) Make the necessary changes there.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User