Password for Guest Account


B

Bubey

Is there anyway I, as the administrator, can put a
password on
the Guest Account. I tried by following the
directions posted
on this site but it didn't work. When you right
click on the
user name, the Make is Private is grayed out.
Help !
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Allan

Bubey said:
Is there anyway I, as the administrator, can put a
password on
the Guest Account. I tried by following the
directions posted
on this site but it didn't work. When you right
click on the
user name, the Make is Private is grayed out.
Help !
Are you sure you want to set a PW or do you just want to disable it because
it is not being used by anyone? It is more secure to simply disable the
Guest account unless you actually are using it.
 
G

Gordon

Bubey said:
Is there anyway I, as the administrator, can put a
password on
the Guest Account.

Unless you are using XP Home and need the guest account for networking,
disable it. It's a security hazard.
 
B

Bubey

Didn't work. The area of let user change password
I could not overtype a password.
I want to protect this account from outside
hackers. It is used when my grandchildren
come over and want to use the laptop.

"Anteaus" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Run... cmd
net user guest {yourchoiceofpassword}
 
B

Bubey

Yes, I want to protect it from outside hackers. I
use the Guest Account
for my grandchildren when they come to visit and
use the laptop.


Bubey said:
Is there anyway I, as the administrator, can put
a
password on
the Guest Account. I tried by following the
directions posted
on this site but it didn't work. When you right
click on the
user name, the Make is Private is grayed out.
Help !
Are you sure you want to set a PW or do you just
want to disable it because
it is not being used by anyone? It is more secure
to simply disable the
Guest account unless you actually are using it.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gordon

Bubey said:
Yes, I want to protect it from outside hackers. I
use the Guest Account
for my grandchildren when they come to visit and
use the laptop.

Then don't. Create a new Limited user account and call it "Visitor" or some
such and disable the Guest account. One of the reasons for this is that a
Limited account is far more controllable than the guest.
 
B

Bubey

Thanks, that will work.

message
Bubey said:
Yes, I want to protect it from outside hackers.
I
use the Guest Account
for my grandchildren when they come to visit and
use the laptop.

Then don't. Create a new Limited user account and
call it "Visitor" or some
such and disable the Guest account. One of the
reasons for this is that a
Limited account is far more controllable than the
guest.
 
J

ju.c

Try this and report the results:

Passwording Guest Account

1. Go to Computer Management.
2. Select the "Users" folder under "Local Users and Groups".
3. Right click on the "Guest" account and click "Set Password".

When a dialog comes up warning you of the possible consequences
click "Proceed". You will then be given a dialog that lets you set
a new password.

I have always considered security a top priority and considering
the ease of doing this I would highly recommend that everyone sets
a Guest account password. Even though the Guest account is disabled
by default, why not do this just for the extra bit of security?

ju.c
 
A

Allan

ju.c said:
Try this and report the results:

Passwording Guest Account

1. Go to Computer Management.
2. Select the "Users" folder under "Local Users and Groups".
3. Right click on the "Guest" account and click "Set Password".

When a dialog comes up warning you of the possible consequences
click "Proceed". You will then be given a dialog that lets you set
a new password.

I have always considered security a top priority and considering
the ease of doing this I would highly recommend that everyone sets
a Guest account password. Even though the Guest account is disabled
by default, why not do this just for the extra bit of security?
If it is disabled what is the point? I don't think this will increase your
security at all unless the Guest account is enabled.
 
J

ju.c

From: http://www.petri.co.il/disable_the_guest_account_in_windows_xp.htm

If you turn off the Guest Account you don't turn really turn off
the Guest Account at all. All you did is to turn off is the "Guest
Account" icon on the Welcome screen. That's all. So people who
walk up to the computer in question can't click Guest Account
and immediately start using the computer. Even if you've
followed the instructions and turned off the Guest Account,
people who connect to the computer over the peer-to-peer
network are still authenticated as Guests.

ju.c
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Allan

ju.c said:
From: http://www.petri.co.il/disable_the_guest_account_in_windows_xp.htm

If you turn off the Guest Account you don't turn really turn off
the Guest Account at all. All you did is to turn off is the "Guest
Account" icon on the Welcome screen. That's all. So people who
walk up to the computer in question can't click Guest Account
and immediately start using the computer. Even if you've
followed the instructions and turned off the Guest Account,
people who connect to the computer over the peer-to-peer
network are still authenticated as Guests.
Does the OP have a network or is it a standalone computer? He did not
mention having a network.
Thanks for the link, it was interesting.
I have the Guest account disabled on a standalone computer with dialup
connection.
 
A

Allan

Sorry "ju.c" I meant to say that according to the article if it is XP HE
(non-networked) there is no reason not to disable the Guest account. Or if
it is XP Pro in a domain again this concern does not apply. I agree that if
it is XP HE, or XP Pro in a non-domain network, disabling the Guest account
is not indicated.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

ju.c

Description of the Guest account in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300489


Windows XP Baseline Security Checklists
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/security/chklist/xpcl.mspx?mfr=true

From Windows XP Baseline Security Checklists:
----------------------------------------------------------
Make sure the Guest Account is Disabled

This setting recommendation applies only to Windows XP
Professional computers that belong to a domain or to
computers that do not use the Simple File Sharing model.

On Windows XP Professional systems that are not connected
to a domain, users who attempt to log on from across the
network will be forced to use the Guest account by default.
This change is designed to prevent hackers attempting to
access a system across the Internet from logging on by
using a local Administrator account that has no password.
To use this feature, which is part of the Simple File
Sharing model, the Guest account must be enabled on all
Windows XP computers that are not joined to a domain. For
those computers that are joined to a domain, or for
unjoined computers that have turned off the Simple File
Sharing model, the Guest account should be disabled. This
will prevent users attempting to log on to the computer
from across the network from using the Guest account.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top