Partitoning Harddrive with PartitionMagic v8

Charlie Chapman

I have a new computer on order with a 120GB Harddrive. I want to partition into 3
partitions. It's been a few years since I performed this activity, so I want to ensure I
get it right. The system will have the latest version of WinXP Home Edition installed.

I reviewed the FAQs on Powerquest site but did not locate the instructions I was looking
for. I want to partition the 120GB C drive into:
C - 20GB
D - 50GB
E - 50GB

If I understand PMv8 Quick Start Guide, I would:
- select the C drive (will only have the 120GB C drive)
- select Create a partition, and then create a 100GB Extended Partition? (Leaving the C
drive as Primary Partition at 20GB?)
- select the Extended Partition and select the operation to create a logical partition
within the extended partition - 50GB D drive
- select the Extended Partition again and select the operation to create another logical
partition within the extended partition with the remaining Unallocated space - 50GB E
drive

Does this appear to be the correct procedure? ANY thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

A second question, the system will come with 2 CD drives, probably assigned as drives D &
E - I will first need to reassign those to higher drive letters to allow PartitionMagic to
assign D & E to the new partitions. What's the best (and safest) way to reassign these
drive letters?

Thanks for any and all insights.
Charlie
Charliec
NOTE: Remove "NOSPAM" to respond via Email

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Solution: PartitionMagic 8.0 "Instructional Videos"
http://www.powerquest.com/support/primus/id3918.cfm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP