Pallets w/varying sizes & weights need to fit in restricted space

Susan in Sacramento

I need to configure pallets of varying sizes & weight into a container. The
Containers are 53 by 8 feet long and can carry approximately 45,000 lbs.
Below is the pallets that need to be put into containers. I need something
that will return the best breakdown of what to put in a container; container
1, 2, 3 etc:

ITEM # Pallet Weight ea
270 4 1883
271 14 2038
404 6 2434
253 20 1040
286 2 2771
255 8 2267

Luke M

Take a good look at the Solver Add-in. It may take some work to setup, but
its very good at solving criteira based scenarios.

Jim Cone

You didn't specify the pallet size.
Can the pallets be stacked.
Do you want to maximize the weight or volume of pallets in the container.
Do some pallets have to be shipped together.
Do the heavier pallets have to be up front or ?
Other considerations ?
--
Try this...
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=configure+pallets+into+a+container+excel

"Susan in Sacramento" <[email protected]>
wrote in message I need to configure pallets of varying sizes & weight into a container. The
Containers are 53 by 8 feet long and can carry approximately 45,000 lbs.
Below is the pallets that need to be put into containers. I need something
that will return the best breakdown of what to put in a container; container
1, 2, 3 etc:

ITEM # Pallet Weight ea
270 4 1883
271 14 2038
404 6 2434
253 20 1040
286 2 2771
255 8 2267

Susan in Sacramento

Thank you for those excellent questions.
Trailer 53 x 8 feet
Maximum Weight = 45,000 lbs
Pallets cannot be stacked.
Weight Maxmiztion is preferable.
Pallets do not have to be shipped toghether
Heavier pallets upfront.
Sizes vary - see updated table

Item # of Plts Size/EA Weight/Ea
270 4 44x48 1883
271 14 44x46 2038
404 6 44x56 2434
253 20 28x44 1040
286 2 48x48 2771
255 8 40x48 2267

Jim Cone

What I would charge to do this job in Excel would cost far more than it is worth.
I have forgotten more than I now know about warehousing, trucks and distribution.
4 way pallets?, Will two 48's fit in an 8 ft wide trailer? The questions continue.
My Distribution Planning Mgr job was long ago and in another universe.

I recommend again that you do a search and find something already invented.
You might or might not end up using Excel.
'--
Jim Cone
(Special Sort... http://www.contextures.com/excel-sort-addin.html)

wrote in message Thank you for those excellent questions.
Trailer 53 x 8 feet
Maximum Weight = 45,000 lbs
Pallets cannot be stacked.
Weight Maxmiztion is preferable.
Pallets do not have to be shipped toghether
Heavier pallets upfront.
Sizes vary - see updated table

Item # of Plts Size/EA Weight/Ea
270 4 44x48 1883
271 14 44x46 2038
404 6 44x56 2434
253 20 28x44 1040
286 2 48x48 2771
255 8 40x48 2267

Dana DeLouis

Hi. Just a comment.
The total weight shipped is 95,146.
Two perfectly packed Trailers is only 90,000 lbs.
So, you will need 3 Trailers, with the 3rd one almost empty.

= = = = = =
Dana DeLouis

Jim Cone

Here is one possible, back of the envelope approach...

In truck 1, you would want to start the load with...
56" & 28" across
28" & 56"
56" & 28"
and so on...
The question becomes can the forklift driver actually do that?
'--

Truck 1
Plts Weight
0 0