Page File Bug?

G

I’ve been trying to sort out a page file issue for a few days now but have had no luck and would appreciate some help

After using my PC for about an hour it starts to slow down and I get the standard “increasing virtual memory†message.

I’ve performed system monitor (perfmon.msc) and have noticed that even with no applications running the page file seems to be in use and is continually increasing in size. I am assuming that this is what is causing the slow down and virtual memory problems

Why is the page file getting bigger and bigger if I’m not using any applications

I have 512mb RAM. I have not installed any new software and I have plenty of disc space left.

Cheer

W

Will Denny

Hi

Have a look at the following article by MVP Alex Nichol:

"Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| I’ve been trying to sort out a page file issue for a few days now but have had no luck and would appreciate some help.
|
| After using my PC for about an hour it starts to slow down and I get the standard “increasing virtual memory†message.
|
| I’ve performed system monitor (perfmon.msc) and have noticed that even with no applications running the page file seems to be in use and is continually increasing in size. I am assuming that this is what is causing the slow down and virtual memory problems.
|
| Why is the page file getting bigger and bigger if I’m not using any applications?
|
| I have 512mb RAM. I have not installed any new software and I have plenty of disc space left.
|
| Cheers
|
| D
|

C

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

Look in the processes section of task monitor. Set up the columns so that
you can see virtual memory size. Then look for the process that continually
grows in size.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

A

Alex Nichol

daemotu said:
After using my PC for about an hour it starts to slow down and I get the standard “increasing virtual memory†message.

I’ve performed system monitor (perfmon.msc) and have noticed that even with no applications running the page file seems to be in use and is continually increasing in size. I am assuming that this is what is causing the slow down and virtual memory problems.

Why is the page file getting bigger and bigger if I’m not using any applications?

You have some nasty program loading at boot and running in the
background, constantly asking for bigger allocations of memory space.
If you have one of the things that purport to 'manage' or 'free up'
memory that is most likely the thing that is doing it. Uninstall it and
trash it.

Ask a Question