Page cannot be Displayed in IE. Firefox works fine.

I have a Dell Dimension that is pre-installed with IE6. For some reason it
doesn't work anymore. Now I just use Firefox, although I really need IE for
some things. HELP! Any suggestions? I use a cable modem.

Scorpion2k5

Have you tried to reinstall IE 6??? If so clear out your history and
your cache... This should help...

Don Varnau

Hi,
What are the symptoms? Any error messages? Is the Operating System XP SP2?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

theresa said:
I have a Dell Dimension that is pre-installed with IE6. For some reason it
doesn't work anymore. Now I just use Firefox, although I really need IE for
some things. HELP! Any suggestions? I use a cable modem.

Yes it's XP2. The message I get is "Page cannot be displayed". Firefox connects fine to the internet. So I know my computer is connected ok.

I tried re-installing IE6 but Dell won't let me. Dell has it permanently
installed, making it impossible to uninstall. I read that on their website. I
can repair it possibly using the disks that came with my computer. I wasn't
going to do that unless I really had to.

JoeM said:
disable all adons, also try netsh winsock reset if you are using xp sp2

I will try your suggestion... although I will have to look up how to do it because I'm new to Windows....

JoeM

Addons are located in this location tools-->internet options-->Programs
tab-->Manage Add-ons-->Here you can select the addons that are running, on
your machine.

Also you can try "netsh winsock reset" if you are using xp sp2 you will type
this command at the run menu choice.

Don Varnau

connects fine to the internet. So I know my computer is connected ok.
I tried re-installing IE6 but Dell won't let me. Dell has it permanently
installed, making it impossible to uninstall. I read that on their website. I
can repair it possibly using the disks that came with my computer. I wasn't
going to do that unless I really had to.

Hi,
Chances are that another program (possibly malware) is causing this. Some
suggestions...

First, clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

As Joe recommended...
From IE> Tools> Manage add-ons. Disable non-microsoft add-ons to see if one
of them is the culprit.

Disable (for diagnostic purposes) programs such as pop-up blockers,
security, toolbars and other add-ons for IE, anti-virus, etc. Take a look at
any program that might be interfering with IE. You may have to reinstall, or
not reinstall, a program. The culprit is probably not your firewall, but
turn on the Windows Firewall (from Control Panel or Security Center) before
disabling a third-party firewall.

If not caused by a legitimate program, you should download, update and run
Ad-aware, Spybot and (if running WinXP) MS Anti-Spyware (Beta.)
See these sites for help:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Note that for
difficult infestations, you may want to post a HijackThis log.

Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Reregistering the DLLs listed in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
may help.

- - -
This section...
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
1. Quit all programs that are running.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message,
click OK.
If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of
the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file
names below): • Shdocvw.dll
• Actxprxy.dll
• Oleaut32.dll
• Mshtml.dll
• Browseui.dll
• Shell32.dll
- - - - -

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Wow... I have some work to do! Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try
them tommorow and let you know how it goes.

Don Varnau said:
"theresa" <theresa[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

From IE> Tools> Manage add-ons. Disable non-microsoft add-ons to see if one
[...]

All I've done so far is disable add-ons and IE isn't working. I did a Dell
scan to see if IE needed to be repaired, and supposedly it's fine. Should I
do a "netsh winsock reset" now or should I install the adware software.... or
I'm a little scared to do this:

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
1. Quit all programs that are running.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message,
click OK.
If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of
the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file
names below): • Shdocvw.dll
• Actxprxy.dll
• Oleaut32.dll
• Mshtml.dll
• Browseui.dll
• Shell32.dll

I guess I'll try some more tomorrow... any suggestions about what order I
should do these in? -T

JoeM

doing a "netsh winsock reset" can't hurt. If netsh winsock reset does not
work try using MSAS and ad-aware, but make sure you do a full scan and have
them fully updated. Also before you do a scan disconnect from the internet.

Don Varnau

Hi,
The order isn't really important. I tried to list easier steps first. Joe's
suggestion is an easy step.
- - -
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
netsh Winsock reset
- - -
There are even more possibilities at
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/16.html

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

JoeM

Don't feel bad, anyone who can help is good.

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
The order isn't really important. I tried to list easier steps first.
Joe's
suggestion is an easy step.
- - -
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

theresa said:
[...]

Well, I installed Norton Internet Security 2006, and it seems I can use IE
now. Some pages still don't come up though. Weird??? At least I can use it
now...