P8700 or T9400...which one, how much does it matter?

Crunch

Hey guys

The Intel P8700 is a Core 2 Duo, 3MB L2 cache, 1,067MHz-FSB, wherea

The T9400is a Core 2 Duo, 3MB L2 cache, 1,067MHz-FSB

The only difference is the L2 cache. 3MB vs. 6MB, as far as I know. However, what's with the Pxxx vs. Txxx?? Is there any other difference based on that

Thanks everyone! :)

Mike Brannigan

Hey guys,

The Intel P8700 is a Core 2 Duo, 3MB L2 cache, 1,067MHz-FSB,
whereas

The T9400is a Core 2 Duo, 3MB L2 cache, 1,067MHz-FSB.

The only difference is the L2 cache. 3MB vs. 6MB, as far as I know.
However, what's with the Pxxx vs. Txxx?? Is there any other difference
based on that?

Thanks everyone! :)

And looking on Intel's website was too much trouble for you ?
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37006
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35562
add them to the Compare Queue and then have a look.
There area couple of technical differences and one major usage/scenario
difference.

Eric

Hey guys,

The Intel P8700 is a Core 2 Duo, 3MB L2 cache, 1,067MHz-FSB,
whereas

The T9400is a Core 2 Duo, 3MB L2 cache, 1,067MHz-FSB.

The only difference is the L2 cache. 3MB vs. 6MB, as far as I know.
However, what's with the Pxxx vs. Txxx?? Is there any other difference
based on that?

Thanks everyone! :)

really? which one has 6MB? you wrote 3MB for both.

To compare 2 CPUs from the same manufacturer, check the manufacturer's
website.

R. C. White

Hi, Bill.

It wasn't Crunch's fault. He posted it to VistaForums. The "forum" relayed
it to THIS newsgroup on the Microsoft public news server - apparently
choosing the newsgroup at random. Crunch probably had no idea his message
would be relayed to ANY newsgroup.

It sure is frustrating having to deal with all these out-of-the-blue
bare-naked posts from various "forums" somewhere on the World Wide Web,
isn't it. :>(

And no matter how well or how many times we explain it, the next newbie
along hasn't gotten the word. And other readers in these newsgroups don't
understand how these frequent naked, off-topic posts get here. So we try to
give an intelligent, helpful response, that too often does no good at all.

Just like this message, which I'm working so hard on. It will scroll off in
a day or two and nobody will remember it. :>(

Whose idea was it to let "forums" relay posts to the Usenet, anyhow?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Bill Daggett said:
Crunch said:
Hey guys,

[snip]

Hey Crunch,

Not a Vista question. Find a hardware group for this.

Eric

What a strange idea.

1) vistaforums.com has 4 sections. One of them is actually called "Vista
Newsgroups" and shows the name of the group under each. I would guess only
that section is relayed here.

2) This newbie apparently thought this was a general question, which could
be a common mistake since it's the first group listed. Everything is
general if you don't bother to look beyond the general to see if there's a
specific one which applies. On vista related groups, I'd list this question
under microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment.

3) Is vistaforums.com also run by Microsoft, or could they be allowing some
independant group to link to their newsgroups?

Bill Daggett said:
Crunch said:
Hey guys,

[snip]

Hey Crunch,

Not a Vista question. Find a hardware group for this.

nomore

The real world answer you will not get from Intel's web site: there is no
performance difference you will see between these two CPUs.
All things being equal, for example clock speed, the CPU with the larger
on-board cache should perform better in measurements.
All things are not equal, particularly in lower end laptops, because of
issues related to hard drives, chip sets, RAM etc.
These issues are particularly relevant for Vista because it is such a
bloated, inefficient resource hog. Low end laptop vendors package Vista 64
on these machines because that extra gb of RAM may make up for some of the
inefficiency of the OS.

Eric

nomore said:
The real world answer you will not get from Intel's web site: there is no
performance difference you will see between these two CPUs.
All things being equal, for example clock speed, the CPU with the larger
on-board cache should perform better in measurements.
All things are not equal, particularly in lower end laptops, because of
issues related to hard drives, chip sets, RAM etc.
These issues are particularly relevant for Vista because it is such a
bloated, inefficient resource hog. Low end laptop vendors package Vista 64
on these machines because that extra gb of RAM may make up for some of the
inefficiency of the OS.
I wouldn't say "no performance difference" but I agree the performance
difference wouldn't be noticeable to the average user.
At least for the average user, CPU speed is one of the least important specs
these days.

If there's a choice between a 2GHz dual dore with 4GB RAM or a 2.5GHz dual
core with 2GB RAM, go with the 2GHz.

If there's a choice between a 2GHZ CPU for $99 or a 2.5GHz CPU for $119
(hypothetical comparison without checking current real world prices), you
might want to save your money.

Cache size is one significant difference, architechture is another. I've
heard for instance a "core duo" is faster than a "dual core".
I didn't even look at CPU speed when I bought my PC earlier this year. I
assumed the speed would be sufficient because it had all the other specs I
was looking for. I don't know how much you'd notice the difference on RAM
speed either.

Real questions to ask for PC purchase:
desktop or laptop?
what OS?
single, duo, quad core?
how much RAM?
wireless-G? N?
CD drive? CDRW? DVD? DVDRW? Blu-ray?
hard drive size?
screen size?
full keyboard? (most laptops leave out numpad)
10/100 LAN? 1000?
memory card reader?
# USB ports?
eSata port?
HDMI port?
firewire port?
blue tooth?

R. C. White

Hi, Eric.

Sorry for the late response, but I just now came across your post...
3) Is vistaforums.com also run by Microsoft, or could they be allowing
some independant group to link to their newsgroups?

NO! Vistaforums.com - and many other such sites that use Vista or other
Microsoft-owned names so freely - has no more connection to Microsoft than
you probably do. That is, they use Microsoft products - and likely make
money with them. But they have no ownership except the licenses acquired by
buying the software packages.

These Microsoft newsgroups - just like the hundreds of thousands of other
newsgroups out there - are all a part of Usenet. It would take a lot of
words and time to explain Usenet, even if I were an expert on it, which I
certainly am not. Google or Bing can find lots of information about Usenet;
here's the article on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

....and from the "official" Usenet Information Center:
http://www.usenet.com/

The bottom line is that Usenet is essentially free to all, so anybody
anywhere in the world with an Internet connection can freely read - and post
to - any newsgroup. So my post - and YOURS! - may even now be stored in a
user's file in China or Australia, and it might remain there forever unless
that user, intentionally or not, deletes it.

So, it's not a matter of Microsoft "allowing" vistaforums.com to relay
messages to and from these newsgroups. It's simply the nature of the Usenet
beast, to coin a phrase. Those "forums" do provide a useful service in
providing focal points for users to find information on specific subjects,
and many true experts frequent those sites and give excellent expert advice.
I just WISH that such sites would make it clear to their users what is
actually happening. But those "forum" managers are happy to present the
illusion of exclusive access to "insider" information for their "members" -
when all they are really doing in most cases is relaying to/from the
Microsoft newsgroups, and collecting advertising revenue along the way. The
less those managers tell their users, the more ad revenue they are likely to
generate.

Enough of my rant for today. In summary, those "forums" perform a useful
service, but too many of them hide the true nature of the service they are
providing. Therefore, too few of their users understand what is really
happening to their questions and the true source of the help they
receive..while the forum owners pocket the ad revenue from advice freely
given by others.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Bill Daggett said:
Crunch wrote:

Hey guys,

[snip]

Hey Crunch,

Not a Vista question. Find a hardware group for this.

Gene E. Bloch

Well ranted :)

IMO, you were accurate, clear, and calm, so maybe a few people will get the
picture. We can hope.

R. C. White

Hi, Gene.

Thanks. As you said, we can hope.