P4C800-E Deluxe vs. P4P800-E Deluxe?

Eli

Pros and cons of one vs. the other?

I know that ECC memory is possible on the P4C800-E Deluxe due to the
875P chipset. And, of course, there's the price difference.

What other significant differences are there?

Which is considered the better overclocker?

Walt

From a test comparison done by PC Quest ...

865 vs. 875
The 875 is the clear performance king here but the edge
it has over the 865 is only 1-4 %, which is not very great.

This might also be of interest ...

The 875 and 865 also support the latest Serial ATA drives
with the 875 also having support for SATA Raid-0 (striping).

Edward Mendelson

A vendor who probably would prefer to remain anonymous told me that he got
more returns of the P4C... boards than he did of the P4P... boards; also
that the P4P.. had fewer compatibility problems. I've got a P4P800-E Deluxe
and an original P4P800-E running here with absolutely no trouble.

Edward Mendelson

Shawn Barnhart

Edward Mendelson said:
A vendor who probably would prefer to remain anonymous told me that he got
more returns of the P4C... boards than he did of the P4P... boards; also
that the P4P.. had fewer compatibility problems. I've got a P4P800-E Deluxe
and an original P4P800-E running here with absolutely no trouble.

Too bad he's not willing to stand up and be counted.

The increased return rate could be a zillion things -- dicey rev0 boards,
extremists unhappy with overclocking performance, and so on. Or it could be
total BS, and that he just makes better margins on P4Ps and wants to sell
more of them.

banger

Too bad he's not willing to stand up and be counted.

The increased return rate could be a zillion things -- dicey rev0 boards,
extremists unhappy with overclocking performance, and so on. Or it could be
total BS, and that he just makes better margins on P4Ps and wants to sell
more of them.

Well, I'd say the P4P800-E Deluxe is the best bang for the buck.

Louise

A vendor who probably would prefer to remain anonymous told me that he got
more returns of the P4C... boards than he did of the P4P... boards; also
that the P4P.. had fewer compatibility problems. I've got a P4P800-E Deluxe
and an original P4P800-E running here with absolutely no trouble.

Edward Mendelson
Interesting, I have a 2 month old P4C and have run into compatibility
problems with an internal modem and Winfax Pro.

I replaced the modem with an old high quality USR.

But then I ran into compatibility problems with the drivers for my
Handspring Visor and syncing often led to the BSOD. Now I turn off
WinFax Pro before I sync and it works without a BSOD about 80% of the
time.

I have wondered whether this motherboard is...shall we say..."finicky"?

Louise

James Bald

banger wrote in message ...
Well, I'd say the P4P800-E Deluxe is the best bang for the buck.

I second that motion., rev 1.02 board here. 2.8C @ 3Ghz, no sweath,
FSB 881Mhz rock solid...Temperature barely higher under torture tests, than stock speed.
Kingston VALUE RAM, 2x512KB sticks. Win2k. ATI radeon 9800Pro.
Original BIOS works wonders; I read an upgrade to 1016 would get better RAID features.

I would not think the P4C800-E delux is much different in terms of quality.
P4C buyers are often more demanding on their setup and push the hardware to the limits
with RAID arrays and high-end 3D cards. Worst are those who upgrade the BIOS with betas,
or hoping to get 1 fps more... Even worst are those who play with overclocking without
doing stability tests, and temperature measurments.
Think also that P4C800 healthy owners are tempted to put a HOT P4E under the hood and
don't realize the power requirements and higher ventilation standards.
A big P4C800E with raid setup and P4E would certainly call for a 450+ PSU.
Hence, more complaints potential.

Never been happier since Intel BX440 chipset. Die VIA die.

Tim

Louise,

The problems you mention sound like application / device driver issues and
nothing to do with the board itself. You would probably have the same issues
regardless of mobo if you achieved the same software setup. Check for
application s/w updates, run sigverif.exe and check to see what unsigned
drivers are there and for each unsigned driver look for an update. WinFax is
possibly the victim too, not part of the cause.

For internal modes, you are best to avoid what are often called
'win-modems'. These have chunks of the modem functionality (DSP stuff)
implemented in the device driver so are much more complex software wise and
are more prone to run-time bugs. They are not recommended. Check for updates
for the driver if you are ever going to put it back in.

- Tim

Pros and cons of one vs. the other?

I know that ECC memory is possible on the P4C800-E Deluxe due to the
875P chipset. And, of course, there's the price difference.
What other significant differences are there?
Which is considered the better overclocker?

I have both of them. The performance is virtually identical. I run the p4c as a
w2k server (ecc memory etc) and the p4p as on xp. I think the p4p is a much
better deal and unless you really think you need ecc memory I'd go that route.
The promise controller on the p4c sucks anyway I have never been able to get
stable drivers for it. I actually disabled it and added an plug-in promise
controller card so that I could add more drives to the server. I lost a ton of
data on that crap-ball built in promise controller. The SATA raid controller on
the p4p is fine. I have 2 160g WD drives on it and have not had a single
problem. I bought the p4c-delux when they first came out and wasn't all that
impressed. My p4p is the bottom end version and I'm pretty happy with the
performance. I'd keep the extra few coins in my pocket and go with the 865 board
but you can't go wrong either way.

-good luck

Louise

Louise,

The problems you mention sound like application / device driver issues and
nothing to do with the board itself. You would probably have the same issues
regardless of mobo if you achieved the same software setup. Check for
application s/w updates, run sigverif.exe and check to see what unsigned
drivers are there and for each unsigned driver look for an update. WinFax is
possibly the victim too, not part of the cause.

For internal modes, you are best to avoid what are often called
'win-modems'. These have chunks of the modem functionality (DSP stuff)
implemented in the device driver so are much more complex software wise and
are more prone to run-time bugs. They are not recommended. Check for updates
for the driver if you are ever going to put it back in.

- Tim
I returned the modem and went back to my old hardware one.

But the software/device driver issue confuses me because I had the same
software running on my previous Win XP machine (a Dell 8200), without
any conflicts and without any BSODs.

I know that the device driver for the Palm (really a Handspring Visor),
is somewhat out of date although it is the newest available and is
supposedly compatible with XP. Palm bought Handspring and only made one
last update to the driver software.

But frankly, I'd rather have it be the Palm/Handspring software and
device drivers rather than the motherboard - so in fact, even though
it's a nuisance, it will pass into history way before my new computer
does - or at least I hope so :)

Louise