outlook over VPN?

S

Spencer Cook

i'm having a few problems with outlook 2003, if anyone can help.

I have an xp machine with 2003 cisco vpn client, and all mails work fine.

i have a new laptop with vista business with outlook 2003 and cisco vpn client, and i can send email, but outlook does not update from our exchange server.

i recently flattened vista and after rebuilding was chuffed to see that outlook now worked, and it would update from exchange. Then a few days later when i tried again back to stage 1. I can send emails but not retrieve any. During testing this last week, after having a vpn connection open for approx 3 hours, when i closed it down, and closed outlook one new message did appear (i'd had about 12 emails by that point). But further tests showed nothing had changed.

Outlook is running cached, and always has been.

is this just a "feature" of vista making it more unuseable? as i can't currently use Outlook Web Access, until our OPs' team get over their jealousy that i've got vista, and apply the patch to exchange for OWA.

Thanks for input

R

Roady [MVP]

You're firewall settings are not blocking UDP traffic either?
If you switch folders, does the folder get updated then?

It could very well be that your Cisco client isn't fully compatible with
Windows Vista. You might want to check for updates on that one too.

Additionally note that the Exchange updates for IE7 have been released about
a year ago. It makes me wonder what other critical updates and compatibility
updates haven't been applied yet.

I can successfully connect to an Exchange 2003 server with Outlook 2003 SP3
on Windows Vista by using the Microsoft VPN client software.

S

Spencer Cook

the vpn client was released as vista compatible, and everything else works. what i find strange is that after a rebuild outlook worked fine on the first vpn connection attempt.

then several days later didn't.

as I partly control the VPN/Firewalls/Network i know theres nothing in place that should be stopping it, just wondered if anyone knew of patches, as this must be a vista thing, due to everything working perfect on xp.

cheers for your input.

Ask a Question