Outlook MAPI32.DLL Error

Please can you help at all?
I have installed Windows Vista on my PC and after installing my Office 2003
Pro I find that I can't use Office Outlook 2003 as it says the MAPI32.DLL
file is corrupt please reinstall. It says it's because ive installed MSN or
something.

I have tried reinstalling it and it hasn't fixed it. Is there a solution to
this problem?

Also if it can't be fixed I am a beta tester for the Office 2007 with my own
License Key. I downloaded and installed the beta on my laptop then deleted
the downloaded files. The office 2007 beta is still on my Laptop. If all
else fails with the problem I have I may uninstall Office 2007 Beta from my
Laptop and install it on my PC. The only problem I have here is I no longer
have the downloaded office 2007 files, I only have the installed files on my
Laptop. Is there any links that will allow me to download it again. As I
say I have a key so just need the files or somehow re-use the installed files
off my laptop.

Vista rocks! love it, just need to iron out these little problems.

Cheers

Lee

Chad Harris

Did you install Office 2007 over Office 2003 + BCM? Have you installed BCM
2007 yet? I would certainly expect problems with BCM 2003 and Outlook 2007.
The Diagnostic Service in 2007 won't help. Also before I learned how to fix
this, uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook on XP or Vista doesn't help.
You can see it on both XP and Vista.

The best way to fix this error is to delete C:\Windows\System
32\IrisM32.dll. or whichever file path depending on what volume or drive the
problem is located on.

Did you first uninstall any previous versions properly, in which case I have
seen add/remove fail to remove a file I'm going to show you and cause this.

Often the Imapi error will put incessant multiple boxes in your face that
spring up no mattter how fast you kill them like the pods in the movie "Body
Snatchers."

This error has more than one cause but the major one I'm seeing has to do
with a file that is part of BCM (Business Contact Manager) that Add/Remove
doesn't remove when someone has had a previous version or previous
installation of the same version on a box. It has nothing to do with
installing MSN Messenger or MSN anything, and I believe a close look at the
error will not show MSN but if it does, please paste up the error in its
entirety.

Did any of this happen? Did you have a previous version of OL 03 on one of
your boxes, and in Beta testing OL 07 with Office 2007 did you uninstall the
previous version of Outlook--with Office 03?

On any box that this is happening I want you to try this.

1) Sue Mosher who is one of the best Outlook experts, authors and developers
has written on this error and Sue recommends disabling some add-ins"

Tools | Trust Center | Addins >> It's in the Manage drop-down list at the
bottom of the window.

2) She also recommends at
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1858724.php
If you don't see the Business Tools menu, BCM probably failed to load when
Outlook started. Run Regedit and go to the
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.eCRM.OutlookAddin.Connect.
1 key. If the value for LoadBehavior is something other than 3, make a
backup of the registry, edit LoadBehavior to set it to 3, then restart
Outlook.
You can also check Help | About Microsoft Outlook | Disabled Items.

Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

I have seen this deployed and done it on boxes with your problem and it
doesn't always fix this error. You can often use Outlook but the boxes are
in your face all over the desktop.

3) What I've found is key(and no reason not to try the above steps is to add
this:

Delete C:\Windows\System 32\IrisM32.dll. or whichever volumne that the
\Windows\System 32\IrisM32.dll. is found on --find it; delete it.

The culprit for me was C:\Windows\System 32\IrisM32.dll which is directly
associated with BCM 2003.

1) I used to have BCM 2003 in Add/Remove and it wouldn't remove. Finally it
disappeared. I am not sure however if uninstalling Office 2003 had any
impact on this, because in order to get in Outlook 2007 of course, I had to
uninstall Outlook 2003 in the first place. I realized this when Outlook
2007 would not install so I selectively uninstalled OL 2003 and reinstalled
Outlook 2007 with no trouble.

I had uninstalled Office 2003 which I had in concomitantly with Office 2007
(for comparison purposes) after your message. When I went looking for BCM
2003's files, .dlls I couldn't find them in the Office folders, and I had
used the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. When I installed the Office
2007 trial it does not contain BCM in its Office plus package, although they
do offer it as a Beta separately according to the listings of Beta 2007
installs from the Office site.

After many googles and reading many associations of this with anything from
Norton often to Quick Books, and several other 3rd party apps, I found an
association of this with C:\Windows\System 32\IrisM32.dll. After checking
the properties of this .dll , and seeing that it was associated with BCM
2003, (and since I had no need for that and you suggested that obviously BCM
any component 2003 was likely to cause problems with BCM 2007and setting a
restore point just in case, I deleted it and the problem vanished.

Good luck,

CH

I had serious problems installing office 2003 Pro in Vista. In particular
using BCM. The Microsoft forum recommends installing SP4. I found that the
fix was to install all the service packs in sequential order prior to
starting the application.

Chad Harris

Hi Phil G.--

Nuking that file worked for my particular problem. It was not a BCM install
problem if you read what I posted. It was a problem that I was getting tons
of Imapi error boxes in my face when I installed Outlook 2007 onto XP, and
this was caused because MSFT has never made Add/Remove competent. The file
I discussed, MAPI32.DLL, was left behind after the uninstall of Outllok 2003
with BCM--the first BCM MSFT made on the hard drive, and nuking it allowed
Outlook 2007 to function normally.

My post and the problem I solved had *NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with
installing BCM. It had to do with a file it left behind that *it should not
have, (but Add/Remove didn't function correctly) that is known to interfere
dramatically with Outlook after it is installed. I also recommend using the
Windows Installer Cleanup Utility anytime you remove one Office or any of
the 27 apps related to Office (now), but it didn't help in this case.

Your problem was one of installing BCM, the .net dependant add-on with
Outlook 2003. I have also seen problems when people Beta test a .net
framework that is a later edition of 1.1 in BCM 2003. It will keep BCM from
working properly and loading when you open OL and until you get rid of the
more advanced .net framework it will not work.

My solution had nothing to do with your problem--but I wasn't clear on what
it was, and was oiffering my experience for glitches I had seen with BCM.

I'm glad it's working. I always recommend installing every Office SP for
every edition of Office.

Good luck,

CH

A big shout out to federal law breaker Alberto Gonnnnne-zales and his law
breaking Deputy AG Paul J. McNulty who lied to Congress under oath and
manipulated prosecutions away from indicting Republican Congressmen like
Jerry Lewis and pretended to lie about it. They will both be gone soon
along with several others. Asking Alberto Gonzales to function as AG is
like asking Anna Nicole Smith to perform a coronary artery bypass. He had
not one second of federal litigation experience--the "Judge" as his homies
call him couldn't even write a clear opnion on the Texas Supreme Court. He
stands as a quintissential example of a twit-hack that the Bush
administration has in every major position except for the White House
counsel now tasked with cleaning up the mess--Fred Fielding who will be
hampered by his clients' intransigence and arrogance.

NZSchoolTech

If you got this because you installed 2007 over 2003 and relied on it
uninstalling Outlook 2003 for you, that doesn't work. You need to uninstall
Outlook 2003 yourself before installing Outlook 2007.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
See this article which sounds like your issue:
926196 Error message when you try to start Outlook 2003: "MAPI32.DLL is
corrupt or the wrong version"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;926196

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: Natomega <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Outlook MAPI32.DLL Error
|> Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 04:48:15 -0600
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup

HI there,
|> I have had the identical problem.
|> Running Vista Home Premium on Laptop Core2duo 2Gb Ram. Installed Office
2003 Enterprise ourlook doews not work give me message Mapi32.dll
corrupt etc etc.
|> Rebuilt system with recovery disks. Uninstalled Office 2007 trial,
went to rename Mapi32.dll receive message Destination Folder Access
Denied.
|> Went into CMD prompt and enabled real Administrator account. Still
receive message "You need permission to perform this action."
|> Can anybody please help as I am about to throw Laptop out the window.
Have only had it since Boxing Day.