Outlook Express Email Receiving Problem

K-Bob

Someone in my address book all of a sudden is having problems sending emails
to me. It just started about a month ago. Following is the message they
receive:

"Your message was not delivered because the destination computer was not
reachable within the allowed queue period. Most likely there is a network
problem that prevented delivery, but it is also possible that the computer is
turned off, or does not have a mail system running right now."

What is strange is that some emails from the person are received and some
are not. Is it a firewall or spyware protection program that is
interferring? I currently have the email scanning feature turned OFF on the
Norton Protection Program installed which came free with my AT&T DSL service.

I use Outlook Express 6, operating system is Windows XP.

N. Miller

Someone in my address book all of a sudden is having problems sending emails
to me. It just started about a month ago. Following is the message they
receive:

"Your message was not delivered because the destination computer was not
reachable within the allowed queue period. Most likely there is a network
problem that prevented delivery, but it is also possible that the computer is
turned off, or does not have a mail system running right now."

What is strange is that some emails from the person are received and some
are not. Is it a firewall or spyware protection program that is
interferring? I currently have the email scanning feature turned OFF on the
Norton Protection Program installed which came free with my AT&T DSL service.

I use Outlook Express 6, operating system is Windows XP.

Best asked in an Outlook Express 6 group. I am cross posting this to
'microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress'.

This is your correspondent's SMTP relay agent telling you that it can't find
the domain gateway (MX) server for your email domain. If you have signed up
for AT&T DSL Service, it would help to know:

Is this the former SBC DSL service (SBC Yahoo! DSL Service), or older? There
are nine legacy email domains in use.

Is this AT&T Worldnet DSL Service, or AT&T FastAccess DSL Service?

Email to the first service goes to 'prodigy.net' MX servers, to the second
goes to 'att.net' MX servers. There are some differences in how each handles
incoming email.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

K-Bob said:
[...]

You left out the useful part of the error message. The part with the server
names and the error codes.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

OE-specific newsgroup:

K-Bob

Sorry for posting this to the wrong area. I was in a hurry and didn't do my
research. My DSL service is: SBC Yahoo. Hope this helps you out.

N. Miller

Sorry for posting this to the wrong area. I was in a hurry and didn't do my
research. My DSL service is: SBC Yahoo. Hope this helps you out.

SBC Yahoo! DSL Service changed name to at&t Yahoo! HSI some time after SBC
bought AT&T, which purchase went into effect on Jan. 1, 2006.

Your email domain is probably 'sbcglobal.net', though there are eight
others. The MX servers for that domain are actually in the 'prodigy.net'
domain; but automatically transfer email to Yahoo! Mail Plus POP3 servers.

Since your correspondent is receiving the message about the server not being
"available", that would point to a problem with the 'prodigy.net' MX
servers. Sam Spade tells me that the servers for 'sbcglobal.net' are of the
form, 'sbcmx{N}.prodigy.net', where {N} is a numeral from '1' to '9'.

You might want to send an email to the postmaster for the 'swbell.net'
domain, according to Sam Spade. You should have your correspondent forward
the entire Delivery Status Notice (use "Forward as Attachment"), and you
should forward that attachment when you get it. The Postmaster will want to
see the entire DSN, including its full headers.

If your email domain is not 'sbcglobal.net', then the MX servers will be
named different, and on different IP addresses. Also, the 'postmaster@'
email domain may be different. I have the 'pacbell.net' domain, and the
postmaster for that domain is in the 'pbi.net' domain.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,
~now in the air the spring is coming.
~Sweet, blowing wind,
~singing down the hills and valleys.

K-Bob

I had received a delivery failure notice from MY email provider due to a full
mail box so I went ahead and sent an attached copy of my contact's error
message to that email address. Is that what I should have done?? Or how do
I find the email address for the postmaster at swbell.net?

N. Miller

I had received a delivery failure notice from MY email provider due to a full
mail box so I went ahead and sent an attached copy of my contact's error
message to that email address. Is that what I should have done?? Or how do
I find the email address for the postmaster at swbell.net?

Your provider? I thought you said your provider was at&t Yahoo! HSI
(formerly called, 'SBC Yahoo! DSL Service'). At this point, it is pretty
clear that your problem is not with any Microsoft product, but either your
ISP (which has its own tech help groups), or your correspondent's ISP.
Perhaps this would be better handled by posting your problem to an AT&T
specific newsgroup:

Because you are using the abominable "Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000" news
reader, I don't know how you are configured for a news client, or even what
part of the 13-state, legacy SBC region you are posting from. The server
names point to the same farm, but do have regional names.

For help setting up a news client, check here:

http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=387

The server names are listed here:

http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=287

When you do post there, be sure to explain your problem with care (who is
getting the Delivery Status Notice, and from which entity ("MAILER-DAEMON@";
and whatever domain follows the '@'). And also, which email domain you are
using (there are nine possible).

You should also know that there is a difference between legacy users, who
never migrated to the co-branded Yahoo! Mail service, and new users, who are
a part of that service. All those details should be easily handled by the
at&t Yahoo! HSI experts in the AT&T newsgroups. Sorry, no web interface to
those groups (that I know of). The web isn't the whole of the Internet,
after all.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,
~now in the air the spring is coming.
~Sweet, blowing wind,
~singing down the hills and valleys.

Michael Santovec

If you are sending a message to someone and you get the return message
that the mailbox is full, that means that the recipient's server mail
box is full. The recipient is the one who needs to fix the problem. If
you have some other way to contact him, let him know.

If you received notice that Your mailbox is near full or full, then you
need to clear out your server mail box. You wouldn't get that notice on
a delivery failure unless you were sending to yourself from another
e-mail address that you have. If you mail service offers web mail
access, that is the easiest way to clear out your server mail box.

K-Bob

Finally found a Yahoo newsgroup and this is what I found:

"Yahoo has been having major server issues since at LEAST Jan. 10, seemingly
just with particular servers. And what's happening to you is unfortunately
one of the many problems that people are having because of them, and Yahoo
doesn't seem to be in any particular hurry to solve them. I've had to use
another acct.provided free by my ISP to send/rcv important e-mails since Jan.
10, and it's been working just fine the whole time. If you don't have another
acct.w/another provider besides Yahoo, I'd strongly advise to get one; it
makes a good backup in case of problems like this. Since that original
posting, they've also sent another e-mail that they've escalated the problem
(or should I say problems!) to their engineering department, which is an
indication of major problems, and not just a minor S/W "glitch." This would
indicate to me that there are also compatibility issues btwn. the H/W and
S/W, besides the server problems. So it's not anything you're doing, your
computer, or your internet connection, and don't let anyone tell you
otherwise."

So thank you so much for your time and responses. Guess it is strictly up
to AT&T Yahoo to resolve this issue I am experiencing. You were correct when
you mentioned the server problems.

N. Miller

So thank you so much for your time and responses. Guess it is strictly up
to AT&T Yahoo to resolve this issue I am experiencing. You were correct when
you mentioned the server problems.

AT&T and Yahoo! are only related by a contract wherein Yahoo! provides email
service to AT&T customers. If your problem is with email sent from an AT&T
domain ('sbcglobal.net' is just one of nine), then the problem is with
Yahoo! (assuming you are using 'smtp.att.yahoo.com'). But received email,
though you are using 'pop.att.yahoo.com' to fetch it, does not go to the
Yahoo! MX servers, but to the AT&T MX servers. So it may still not be a
Yahoo! problem.

Send email from 'sbcglobal.net':

Subscriber client (MSOE) > Message submission server (smtp.att.yahoo.com) >
Internet...

Receive email to 'sbcglobal.net':

Internet > MX server for 'sbcglobal.net' (in 'prodigy.net' domain) > Mail
Delivery Agent (MDA; which will be accessed at 'pop.att.yahoo.com') >
subscriber client.

Yahoo! email will take a slightly different path, for Plus customers:

Internet > MX server for 'yahoo.com' > MDA (which will be accessed at
'plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com', per new instructions from Yahoo!) > subscriber
client.

This aspect of email is probably beyond what any person should be expected
to know; but, for at&t Yahoo! HSI subscribers, the knowing can help
understand which of the partners are likely to be at fault (AT&T, or
Yahoo!). I sent an email from an 'msn.com' account I have to each a
'pacbell.net' account (at&t Yahoo! HSI; 'pacbell.net' being one of the nine
legacy SBC domain names), and a pure Yahoo! Mail account.

To the at&t Yahoo! HSI account ('pacbell.net', one of the nine legacy SBC
domain names):

| From: "Proper Name" <%User_ID%@msn.com>
| To: <%User_ID%@pacbell.net>, <%User_ID%@yahoo.com>
| Subject: [TEST] Difference in routing.
| Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 23:42:25 -0800

To the pure Yahoo! Mail account (not fetched with a POP3 client; this is not
a "Plus" account):

| From: "Proper Name" <%User_ID%@msn.com>
| To: %User_ID%@pacbell.net, %User_ID%@yahoo.com
| Subject: [TEST] Difference in routing.
| Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 23:42:25 -0800

I edited the headers down to just enough relevant lines to demonstrate that
they are the same message, from the same source. The primary difference is
in the lines where the email is received from the Windows Live Hotmail SMTP
relay agent ('blu139-omc3-s24.blu139.hotmail.com') by the respective domain
gateway (MX) SMTP servers ('mta460.mail.mud.yahoo.com' for Yahoo! Mail; and
'flpi127.prodigy.net' for at&t Yahoo! HSI). It is these last two serves,
respectively, which would refuse to accept any email, forcing the SMTP relay
agent trying to send to have to return the email to the sender. Email
refused by 'mta460.mail.mud.yahoo.com' will be identified in the Delivery
Status Notice as having refused, as would email refused by
'flpi127.prodigy.net'. I don't know if they have similar, or different
policies on those servers.

If that seems confusing, well...it is. But it serves to illustrate that
email to any of the nine legacy SBC domains will take a slightly different
path to the user mailboxes than email to 'yahoo.com'.

In case you are curious, those nine legacy SBC domains are:

ameritech.net
flash.net
nvbell.net
pacbell.net