Outlook 2007 saving Attachments fails

• Thread starter Chris Newby-Robson
  • Start date
C

Chris Newby-Robson

Hi, We are using Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2003. We have faxes being delivered to a Public folder by our fax messaging system.

We have a couple of users who have the task of opening these messages, viewing the attached tif or pdf of the actual fax, and then saving the attachment into a folder with a different file name so that a batch process can uplift the fax document and insert it into a database.

When these users were using Outlook 2003 they could carry out this process on hundreds of faxes at a time. Since upgrading one of the users to Outlook 2007 we find that after saving a number of attachments in this way the process fails with an error message telling the user that they do not have access rights to the directory concerned and to contact their administrator (ME !!). When this has happened I have checked and ascertained that if the user opens explorer and browses to the directory concerned they CAN create a text file and edit and save it successfully. So I conclude that there is not an issue with security/rights on the actual folder. Since the only change has been the replacement of their PC with one that has Outlook 2007 installed I conclude that this must be a bug in Outlook 2007.

I wonder whether anybody else had seen this behaviour when using Outlook 2007 and whether they had found a solution to it.

Presently the only solution I can think of is to regress this user to Office 2003 until a solution is found to this issue.

Thanks

Chris

R

Roady [MVP]

It's not a bug and it is not specific to Outlook 2007. They've opened the
attachment directly from Outlook instead of saving the attachment directly.
When all the files have the same names, they will get renamed with (1), (2),
(3), etc behind the filename. This goes up to (99). After that you'll need
to empty the SecureTemp folder.

See http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/securetemp.htm

C

Chris Newby-Robson

Actually they have the preview pane open, and then right hand click the attachment and do a "Save As".

I assume that merely previewing the message may open a temp file, because I notice that Outlook 2007 has changed the behaviour of email messages.

I mean by this that when you open a message any attachments that Outlook is capable of rendering are shown as tabs alongside the main email message tab.

I assume that this requires Outlook to generate the temporary file you speak of. I guess that it is this behaviour which is a change from earlier versions of Outlook that is tripping us up.

And yes the files all have identical names. So we need a process that will flush this temporary folder while the user is carrying out the fax saving process.

Thanks for your insights

Chris

R

Roady [MVP]

Yes, previewing the file will create a temp-file as well. See the link I
gave you on how to find and flush it.

Ask a Question