Outlook 2007 only starts in safe mode. Normal mode hangs

G

Outlook hangs when started in normal mode. It will only work in safe mode. I
have uninstalled, then reinstalled ms office. I have removed all add ins. I
have ran the scanspt tool. I have renamed outcmd.dat and extend.dat. Has any
one experienced this problem?

M

mbamcse

I am having the same problem, but I have found an unsatisfactory work-around. After a couple of times trying to start Outlook, and seeing nothing happen, I checked the Task Manager. There I found that there were several instances of Outlook.exe running (not in applications, but only in process tab). I then stopped all the processes and started Outlook again, and it started normally.

Unless I am starting Outlook after a reboot, I now simply start Outlook and then go to the Task Manager and see two processes, and then stop one. Here I learned something else... if you stop the right one Outlook pops right up and runs normally. If you choose the wrong one you get the message that Outlook should start in Safe Mode. What I have discovered is that you need to stop the instance which is using the larger amount of memory to get the "fresh" instance to start.

OK - I can work around the problem, but does anyone have a clue as to WHY this is happening??? I run Office 2007 Enterprise on Vista Ultimate... no addins.

EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Ask a Question