Outlook 2007 data location

R

Ray

Okay, so I copied the contents of the folder {username here}\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook under Windows xp to a new Vista machine. I put it in {username here}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. I used outlook to import the .pst file located in that directory called "Outlook". However, I realized that not all my mail was copied over. I am unable to access information on the old XP machine anymore since the hard drive died :(.

However, I did realize that there was a 111,121KB file named "archive" under in a folder called "old" in the original folder that I copied over. It is not a pst file, and I'm not sure if it contains any of the old email I had. This is because previously I had a mailbox called "Archive", and this file coincidentally has the same name.

Anyhow I was just wondering what this file was, and if any of my old mail could be in it...

Thanks!

R

Roady [MVP]

You copied the wrong folder. pst-files on Windows XP are by default kept in;
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook

You should never just blind copy an entire settings folder to a new system.
It's only the pst-file that you want.

If you believe the .old file is actually a pst-file you can rename it to
..old. Note that you must have renamed this file before as Outlook doesn't do
this. Also don't expect it to hold your current items but it might contain
some old items that you want anyway.

Further, don't use the import feature to look what is in a pst-file. Use
File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... instead.

Ask a Question