Outlook 2003 - Macros not operational

cpod

When I installed Office 2003 I wanted to retain Access 2000 so I
intalled Office 2003 in a folder other than the default folder.

The macros in Outlook 2003 were not operational. When I clicked on
Tool,Macros,Macros or Visual Basic or Security nothing would happen.

So I uninstalled Office 2003 and reintalled Office 2000, and then
reintalled Office 2003 retaining Access 2000 and Outlook 2000.

I can use the macros in Outlook 2000, but now when I try to access the
macros in Outlook 2003 I get an error message saying Outlook has
encountered an error and offering to sent an error report to
Microsoft.

I have tried renaming the VbaProject.otm file, but that did not help.

I have seen other references to this problem but no solutions. I
can't find anything about this on Microsoft's website.

Can anyone help me?

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

You can't have two versions of Outlook running on the same machine. You were
on the right track with your original installation -- using a separate
directory. Installing Office 2003 should have removed Outlook 2000.

The most common cause for this situation seems to be that some other program
is starting Outlook without any user interface. It could be PDA sync,
antivirus, or fax software. Close Outlook and use Task Manager to make sure
that it's really shut down. Then restart and try macros again.

Bill

Sue Mosher said:
You can't have two versions of Outlook running on the same machine. You were
on the right track with your original installation -- using a separate
directory. Installing Office 2003 should have removed Outlook 2000.

The most common cause for this situation seems to be that some other program
is starting Outlook without any user interface. It could be PDA sync,
antivirus, or fax software. Close Outlook and use Task Manager to make sure
that it's really shut down. Then restart and try macros again.

My Outlook 2002 macros won't work either -

I installed, used, then uninstalled a trial version of Outlook 2003.
All my existing VBA worked fine. I then uninstalled Outlook 2003,
then reinstalled Outlook 2002. Now, no macros.

When I open the Outlook VBA Editor, a message box tells me "Error in
when I try running any VBA procedure, even one as simple as "Dim i as
Integer".

All the VBA code is still there; VBAProject.OTM is intact.

I also get this message box when double clicking to open
ThisOutlookSession.

My security settings are OK, permissions OK, etc.

I repaired, uninstalled, reinstalled Office XP - to no avail.

Does anyone have an insight on this?

-- Bill

cpod

Thank you for responding.

I don't have a PDA or anything else that accesses Outlook. I do have
an anti virus program which I shut down. I then went to task manager
to make use Outlook was shutdown, it was. I opened Outlook 2003 and
tried to access my macros. I got the same error message.

I then tried Outlook 2000 and I could access my macros. I realize
there may be some deleterious interaction between the two Outlooks,
but even when I had only Outlook 2003 installed I still had the
problem.

Thank you for your help.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

If you have somehow managed to have both Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2003
installed on the same machine, I'm not surprised that you're still having
problems. (In fact, I'd expect more.)

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
You can't have two versions of Outlook running on the same machine. You were
on the right track with your original installation -- using a separate
directory. Installing Office 2003 should have removed Outlook 2000.

The most common cause for this situation seems to be that some other program
is starting Outlook without any user interface. It could be PDA sync,
antivirus, or fax software. Close Outlook and use Task Manager to make sure
that it's really shut down. Then restart and try macros again.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

cpod

OK. I uninstalled Office 2003 and reinstalled it allowing it to
delete Outlook 2000. I now have only Outlook 2003 install. My macros
are still not operational. I click on Tools,Macro and nothing
happens.

cpod said:
[...]

I would check Help | About Microsoft Outlook | Disable Items.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of