Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:16:10 -0300
From: "Pearlie Griffin" <[email protected]>
To: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: Can You Last 36 Hours? 38noj0

I do have the hotmail domain in my BLOCKED senders list, however this still
came to my inbox.

I'd really appreciate any help on this as I am support for around 600 users.

Thanks in advance!

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

How many is "a rather extensive list of blocked domains in my blocked
senders list" ? The max is about 2000 total for all lists (safe and blocked,
combined). It should warn you when you hit the limit, but it might fail
without notice. The blocked list should be very small and the safe lists
larger. A site with 600 users should have a real AV filter on the server to
block the bulk of the spam before it gets near the inbox.

For more information on using Safe and blocked lists, see
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2005/up050120.htm#rules
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2004/up040930.htm#safe
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2004/up040722.htm#safe

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Thanks for the feedback, but that did not address my question, which was: If
I have @hotmail blocked, why did it come through to my inbox? My spam
filters are up to date from microsoft and I'm using safe and blocked senders.

Diane Poremsky said:
How many is "a rather extensive list of blocked domains in my blocked
senders list" ? The max is about 2000 total for all lists (safe and blocked,
combined). It should warn you when you hit the limit, but it might fail
without notice. The blocked list should be very small and the safe lists
larger. A site with 600 users should have a real AV filter on the server to
block the bulk of the spam before it gets near the inbox.

For more information on using Safe and blocked lists, see
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2005/up050120.htm#rules
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2004/up040930.htm#safe
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2004/up040722.htm#safe

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Hospo said:
Our company is using using Outlook 2003 and Microsoft Exchange Server 6.5.
Although I have a rather extensive list of blocked domains in my blocked
senders list, I've begun to notice that emails that should go directly to
the
junk folder are instead going in to my inbox. Included is an example of a
junk email header that I just received:
Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:16:10 -0300
From: "Pearlie Griffin" <[email protected]>
To: (e-mail address removed)

I do have the hotmail domain in my BLOCKED senders list, however this
still
came to my inbox.

I'd really appreciate any help on this as I am support for around 600
users.

Thanks in advance!

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

It should warn you when you hit the limit, but it might fail without

if your 'extensive list' is close to the limit, it may be failing due to
size. If it fails, it's not going to block addresses on the list.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:16:10 -0300
From: "Pearlie Griffin" <[email protected]>
To: (e-mail address removed)

I do have the hotmail domain in my BLOCKED senders list, however this
still
came to my inbox.

I'd really appreciate any help on this as I am support for around 600
users.

Thanks in advance!

Brian Tillman

Hospo said:
Thanks for the feedback, but that did not address my question, which
was: If I have @hotmail blocked, why did it come through to my inbox?
My spam filters are up to date from microsoft and I'm using safe and
blocked senders.

I thought the Junk E-mail filter only works properly for Exchange 2003 (when
you're using Exchange for the message store).

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

It only works with exchange if you are using cache mode (default for
OL2003) - it works just fine using a pst too. It's better to block addresses
and domains on the Exchange server though - and it supports wildcards.
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2005/up050303.htm#ex

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]