Outer Space Program

DangMan

I think I saw a post in here about a free program like Google Earth but
it's for viewing stuff in space. I think it was called Celestial or
something like that. I've been trying like crazy to find it on a Google
search and can't. Anyone know of this thing?

John Rampling

I don't think you mean Google Moon so are you possibly thinking of Cybersky?
Not freeware AFAIK.

John Corliss

DangMan said:
I think I saw a post in here about a free program like Google Earth but
it's for viewing stuff in space. I think it was called Celestial or
something like that. I've been trying like crazy to find it on a Google
search and can't. Anyone know of this thing?
*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***

You're thinking of Celestia, which is sponsored by NASA.

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

The site is not working at the moment, but I just downloaded and
installed the latest version a few days ago. Most likely, they're only
working on their servers. I can't see them taking this site down.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett, Doc (who uses sock puppets)

Dang man

Thanks to you all. That's the one i was looking for.

Sorry for the double post. Brian dead today. Geez.

Susan Bugher

or on the project download page.

Program: Celestia
Author: (Chris Laurel)
Ware: (Freeware) (open source: GNU GPL)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/celestia/

latest version for Windows:
Celestia-win32-bin 1.4.1 February 16, 2006

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Program: Celestia
Author: (Chris Laurel)
Ware: (Freeware) (open source: GNU GPL)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/celestia/

latest version for Windows:
Celestia-win32-bin 1.4.1 February 16, 2006

and. . .

Program: NASA Customized Celestia
Author: NASA
Ware: Freeware
http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/exp/index.html
http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/exp/NASAsetup.exe
80.8 MB

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

John Corliss

Author: NASA
Ware: Freeware
http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/exp/index.html
http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/exp/NASAsetup.exe
80.8 MB

Thanks for posting this, Susan. The home page at www.shatters.net hasn't
been loading for some reason.

I wonder what's meant by "NASA Customized".

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett, Doc (who uses sock puppets)
or Roger Johansson, for instance. No adware, cdware, commercial
software, crippleware, demoware, nagware, PROmotionware, shareware,
spyware, time-limited software, trialware, viruses or warez for me, please.

Susan Bugher

Thanks for posting this, Susan. The home page at www.shatters.net hasn't
been loading for some reason.

It's been down for a quite a while now. . . can't give you an exact
date but it's been way more than a few days.
I wonder what's meant by "NASA Customized".

I haven't the foggiest. ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

John Corliss

Susan said:
It's been down for a quite a while now. . . can't give you an exact
date but it's been way more than a few days.

Well, I can tell you that I accessed the site and downloaded the newest
version on March 23, 2006, so it's been down at most about three weeks.
I haven't the foggiest. ;)

Guess I'll just have to give it a try and find out. And of course, for
those who already have Celestia, there's this page for downloading addons:

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett, Doc (who uses sock puppets)
or Roger Johansson, for instance. No adware, cdware, commercial
software, crippleware, demoware, nagware, PROmotionware, shareware,
spyware, time-limited software, trialware, viruses or warez for me, please.

Jast

Don't forget http://www.stellarium.org/

Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows
a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye,
binoculars or a telescope.
It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and go

gman

DangMan said:
I think I saw a post in here about a free program like Google Earth but
it's for viewing stuff in space. I think it was called Celestial or
something like that. I've been trying like crazy to find it on a Google
search and can't. Anyone know of this thing?
*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***

for outerspace
celestia
stellarium