Out of the BSOD

Reaction score
Hi all, suddenly it seems I have a gremlin and I've no clue what exactly caused it.

To start my specs : Dell Dimension B110 Desktop - I recently upgraded from a 2.4GHz Celeron to a 2.6 Ghz P4 HT (478-pin, 800 MHz FSB). 1 GB (2x512 DIMM), 2x 80GB WD EIDE :( HDs (I recently added the second, they are on the same cable but that is to change). I am running XP Home. BFG GeForce 6800 (128) Graphics card.

I initially purchased this box with the intention of upgrading and eventually getting a new mainboard and box.

I added a 2nd 80GB HD that I happened to have in a friend's computer and began archiving some of the info on it to DVD-Rs. Midway through the process I thought I might stop and play a game (LOTRBFME)

Once the game is loaded, I notice some slowness (very suddenly) and then the system crashes. On reboot, I get the message from CHKDSK that my F drive volume (the new HD) is dirty. I've researched a bit on this site and I did find what appears to be a fix (to be attempted this evening).

I let CHKDSK run, logged on and started the game up again to see if this would be a persistent issue.

Wham, BSOD - Out of memory stop at 0x0000008E.

Not a happy message, it references a DLL tied to my graphics card, so I uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers and even moved it to another (PCI) slot (1st one). Still getting an out of memory error on occasion and the PC is running at a snail's pace while trying to do any multiple tasks.

My question is, could this have anything to do with the HD that is giving me issues? Everything ran fine until that was put in, I'm seriously considering getting a new mainboard and box with a higher capacity power supply but I want to make sure I wouldn't just be spinning my wheels with a dying RAM stick or graphics card. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yep, it is probable that the new HD has got something to do with your problem ... at least we need to eliminate it as a possible cause.

The easy way to do that, is to remove it, no need to do that physically, but merely remove it's power & pull the ribbon cable off of it ... not while you have it plugged into the wall socket though. ;)

If, that then "fixes" the problem, you're half way there.

Did you make sure that the small black jumper's on both HDs are set to Master & Slave, respectively ... and are you using an 80col ribbon cable?

:user:

Reaction score
I'll disconnect it tonight and see if there is a difference.

Master/Slave jumpers correctly configured, and I'm sure the cable is correct.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
pokeybill said:
I'll disconnect it tonight and see if there is a difference.

Master/Slave jumpers correctly configured, and I'm sure the cable is correct.
Just remembered ... if the ribbon cable is correct, it should be colour coded ... Black is for Master, Grey is for Slave and the MB end is usually Blue, but I have seen other colours on that end ... the other two are always Grey & Black

It is that way for a reason and should be followed.

:user:

Reaction score
I removed the dirty HD - did not fix it.

I went ahead and took out the BFG and plugged the monitor into the onboard and it works fine now. I purchased the BFG a month ago, is it possible this isn't a bad card and there is some underlying issue that I have yet to discover?

Reaction score
pokeybill said:
I removed the dirty HD - did not fix it.

I went ahead and took out the BFG and plugged the monitor into the onboard and it works fine now. I purchased the BFG a month ago, is it possible this isn't a bad card and there is some underlying issue that I have yet to discover?

Outdated/incorrect graphics drivers?
Insufficient power supply?

Thats if it really has got anything to do with the BFG card..

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
Insufficient power supply?
I'll have to double check on that, it is a possibility. I was going to get a new case anyway.

I'm sure the video drivers are correct and up to date, I downloaded them yesterday to be sure.

I'm inclined to think the BFG card probably isn't the issue, the PC is a refurbished model so any piece of the original system (memory sticks, mainboard, HD, DVD-R) could be on its way to failure. I'll do some more digging.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Reaction score
Let us know how you get on
happywave.gif

Ask a Question