[OT] Jon Berry (was: POP3 LIST Command)

Alan Connor

From: Jon Berry <[email protected]>

No rank newbie would know enough to munge his From header's
email address like that.

Jon Berry
Results 1 - 12 of 12 posts in the last year
1 austin.food
1 borland.public.jbuilder.ide
1 borland.public.jbuilder.micro.mobileset
1 comp.mail.sendmail

That's an MTA (mail server). Not Windows, either. Linux/Unix.
Strangely out of place on this list.

1 comp.music.midi
1 comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
1 ibm.software.websphere.studio.device-developer
1 microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
1 microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.interop
1 microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup
2 microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

That's not the posting history of a rank newbie, either. This
guy knows the Usenet very well indeed.

Obviously, this is a troll's sockpuppet.

I doubt it. No Usenet pro would use that piece-of-crap
newsreader.
Newsgroups: comp.mail.misc
Subject: POP3 LIST Command

Yes. POP3 has a LIST command. Quite a few others, too.
TOP is my favorite.
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 04:04:22 GMT

<article not downloaded:
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/README.offline>

Don't help trolls. Especially trolls interested in MTAs, which
generally means _spammer_. Or wannabee spammer.

And I wouldn't want one to understand POP3 servers either.

Bet he has a sig written to make everyone think he hates spam.

Note: I won't be downloading any articles on this thread.

Alan

Anal Honor

Who is Alan Connor?

A troll and kook, you be better of just killfile him.

Alan Connor is the inventor and implementor of the final ultimate
solution to the spam problem, and everyone who dares claim otherwise
is a spammer.
That is basically the gist of the messages Alan sometimes spews into NANAE (1)

Alan Connor is appearently also trolling on many other newsgroups.

So what is he raving about?

A bunch of crap.

In reality, Alan's system is known as a challenge-response or C/R system;
it auto-answers incoming email with a challenge and only lets the email
through if it receives a valid response. There are several problems with
this concept, but Alan doesn't want to hear them. In addition,
Alan's system isn't even a very good implementation of the C/R concept,
as it fails to address the chicken-egg problem that is inherent to C/R:
What if your C/R system sends a challenge to an email address that is
also protected by a C/R system? Because of this, Alan and Timo Salmi,
another C/R advocate, are unable to email eachother. So basically Alan's
system is a broken implementation of a flawed concept.

http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/kooks/ac/

http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/kooks/ac/fga.shtml

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/challenge-response.html

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html#CR

(1) news.admin.net-abuse.email

Also in the headers for "Allan" to read.