OT: HD replacement in Dell Vostro 200

RJK

Hi, any tips on replacing 500gb hard disk in Dell Vostro would be
muchly
appreciated.

i.e. is it okay to replace it with a different brand - something like
Seagate 500gb - i.e. a hard-disk that's going to last a lot longer
than
Samsungs' 12 months+1 day !

(The owner thinks that this "Vostro" system is about 13 months old).
i.e. one would want to image the entire hd onto a new one so that all
partitions are replicated - so that Dells' destructive and non-
destructive
restore/s still work ? !

It has a Samsung 500gb hd in it, which went flaky a couple of months
ago,
and a month or so before that it managed again to lose it's MBR.

...so here it is on my spare bench again, hoping that Spinrite 6, in
'Recover
unreadable data' mode, can save the day yet again, (Spinrite 6 has
been
scouring through Drive 0, Item 4 (487,455mb's), .oO on the first
"dot," for
the past 10 or 20 minutes ! ...oooh! it just took off from 353mb's,
and
whizzed along, (leaving 3 "blocks" [indicating 'processed']), and has
started "scouring" again at 1853 ...1854 mb's ...1858 and still
struggling
!.

Anyhow, ...will it cause any problems in replicating the Dell / Vista
installation onto a diff. brand but, same size hd, (with regard to
destructive, and non-destructive "restores"), if the system detects
different make and model of hard-disk ?

Here's hoping that a mirror-imaged drive will do the job ?

....any tips appreciated.

regards, Richard

(...much more used to working on PC's that have been built using
quality
components, than this DELL type of thing ! )

Bill Yanaire, ESQ

You must really be excited about changing your hard drive. You keep posting
about it.

DL

You seem to have gone haywire with your mouse Btn judging by the number of
identical posts

A drive can fail at anytime, Samsung HD generally have a two year warranty
You can replace it with any brand or size that takes your fancy, so long as
its complient with the controler type

Mike Hall - MVP

RJK said:
[...]

HDD brand should make no difference at all..

RJK

Sorry this post ending up all over the place - not sure exactly what
happened,
....I usually use OE but, thanks to my rubbish ISP - Tiscali - there is
no nntp for most of the day - midday onwards,, and I was using Google
Newsgroups to post, ...I did "suspend" this PC while in the middle of
the post, and came back to it later on, ...perhaps that's where things
went berserk ! ?
....and I had to try the "verification" word several times ! ?

regards, richard

RJK

[...]

components, than this DELL type of thing ! )- Hide quoted text -

It's not "my" hard-drive" and, I have said 'sorry' for whatever caused
multiple posts, (wiith differing Subjects I notice !), ...prolly my
unfamiliarity with having to resort to using Google NG's !

regards, Richard

DL

So whats wrong with setting up OE or Mail for newsgroups and adding the ms
newserver
Much easier

[...]

....always do use OE for NG's, have done for years, as I ALREADY said,
on this thread, in as many words, my ISP strangles nntp around midday
to midnight !!!
SOooo, I have to have a go with Google NG's whereas it's so much
simpler in OE, get me ? !!!!!!!

:) ...regards, Richard

DG

...always do use OE for NG's, have done for years, as I ALREADY said,
on this thread, in as many words, my ISP strangles nntp around midday
to midnight !!!
SOooo, I have to have a go with Google NG's whereas it's so much
simpler in OE, get me ? !!!!!!!

:) ...regards, Richard

set up a new news account in OE and use "msnews.microsoft.com" as server,
it's free and no need to log in.

VanguardLH

RJK said:
Hi, any tips on replacing 500gb hard disk in Dell Vostro would be
muchly
appreciated.

i.e. is it okay to replace it with a different brand - something like
Seagate 500gb - i.e. a hard-disk that's going to last a lot longer
than
Samsungs' 12 months+1 day !

(The owner thinks that this "Vostro" system is about 13 months old).
i.e. one would want to image the entire hd onto a new one so that all
partitions are replicated - so that Dells' destructive and non-
destructive
restore/s still work ? !

It has a Samsung 500gb hd in it, which went flaky a couple of months
ago,
and a month or so before that it managed again to lose it's MBR.

..so here it is on my spare bench again, ...

You degenerate into a "pile of CRAP" rant in your later posts (and
reposts and reposts and reposts) in the windowsxp.general group, and
about Vista which obviously is NOT the topic of that group. You don't
deserve any help. I feel sorry for your customers, er, victims.

RJK

VanguardLH said:
You degenerate into a "pile of CRAP" rant in your later posts (and
reposts and reposts and reposts) in the windowsxp.general group, and
about Vista which obviously is NOT the topic of that group. You don't
deserve any help. I feel sorry for your customers, er, victims.

Ooooh, having a bad day ? ...that certainly helped !
....and thanks to your superb help,
Spinrite 6 has recovered the Dell Vostro 200 | Samsung 500gb hard-disk
sufficiently well enough to mirror the Vista Home Premium dung-heap onto a
replacement hard-disk.
As for "reposts, and posts," already said 'sorry', was posting using IE8 |
Google NG's, because my ISP strangles NNTP, (for my OE6), mid-day to
midnight, and the repeats were an accident - still don't know what caused
that - and unhelpful comments from an ignorant little s**t, like yourself,
don't help at all !
My "off-topic" subject, loosely, was a question about replacement hard disk
compatibility / implications in a Branded PC, and there's often lots of very
helpful, and knowledgeable people in here - of which, (on this thread at
least), you are obviously not one ! Why waste your foul breath pointing out
the obvious, if you have nothing useful to contribute ?

regards, Richard

RJK

RJK said:
[...]

....almost forgot to killfile VanguardLH , ...(so satisfying, knowing that
I've had the last word :)

regards, Richard

VanguardLH

RJK said:
...almost forgot to killfile VanguardLH , ...(so satisfying, knowing that
I've had the last word :)

regards, Richard

Yep, this super-intelligent has really scared me considering that would
mean I get the last word plus there is no killfile feature with Google
Groups. Duh! Now it's time to take out your voodoo doll and start
sticking it with pins. No tongue!

Oh yes, your "pile of CRAP" rant posts just must be my fault. Wow,
imagine my power to telekinetically move his fingers on the keyboard.
Alas, my power is not yet strong enough to keep his fingers from
touching THAT thing!

Hmm, "accidental" repeats, uh huh. And accidental "CRAP" posts, too, uh
huh. Tourette syndrome, perhaps? Bummer.