(OT) Binary Newsgorups question

casey.o

I dont have access to the binary newsgroups. I'm just wondering if any
of them are still active? (from those of you who may have access).

thanks

J. P. Gilliver (John)

David H. said:
They are filled with crap and malware.

Many are installers for legitimate software but have been re-package
with malware.

Binary groupos that are worthwhile are those specific to art, crafts
and specific trades.
Example types are Photography and Woodworking.

And specific interests: I know someone who spends a lot of time
downloading videos of steam trains around the world, and certain types
of music from the '40s, for example, from binary 'groups.
There are 10's of thousands of News Groups and there are many good
active ones in the alt.binaries hierarchy.

"One of my dearest memories is playing the leader of a gang of gay Hell's
Angels
thundering across the Golden Gate bridge on a motorbike in fog, wearing full
Nazi regalia with a young man in a purple dress on the pillion petrified we'd
crash into the bay." Christopher Lee (1997). ["It was in _The Serial_."]

casey.o

If you go to giganews or any other real news serve there are hundreds
of very active binary groups.

Just be careful getting executables. About half of them are infected
with something. (from the somewhat benign adware to nasty stuff)

If I had access to them, I'd avoid the executables. My main thing, when
I did have access to them, was to download old music from the 40s thru
60s, and music types outside the usual rock & country categories, such
as folk and bluegrass. I am considering getting access by paying
giganews or another server, but only if I can get access from WIFI.
It's just too damn slow on dialup. (Even though I think binary
newsgroups are faster on dialup compared to the WEB).

Hot-Text

| (e-mail address removed) wrote:
| > I dont have access to the binary newsgroups. I'm just wondering if
| > any of them are still active?

YES

Good
active binary newsgroup
alt.binaries.karaoke,
alt.binaries.sounds.karaoke,
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.karaoke

News @ ABK
goblin2!
goblin.stu.neva.ru!
cyclone02.ams2.highwinds-media.com!
voer-me.highwinds-media.com!
peer02.iad.highwinds-media.com!
news.highwinds-media.com!
feed-me.highwinds-media.com!
post02.iad.highwinds-media.com!
fx14.iad.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: (e-mail address removed)
Newsgroups: alt.binaries.karaoke
Subject: New Seq/Kar: - Rod Stewart - Good Morning Little School
Girl(1964)[1].kar (0/1)
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 17:27:31 +0700

| > (from those of you who may have
| > access).

Just click the Link for your free Access too:
< >

We be looking for you at
alt.binaries.karaoke

| > thanks

No Bob'' All Thanks to you

| 10 seconds using google
| http://usenetstats.com/

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <[email protected]>,
[]
If I had access to them, I'd avoid the executables. My main thing, when
I did have access to them, was to download old music from the 40s thru
60s, and music types outside the usual rock & country categories, such
as folk and bluegrass. I am considering getting access by paying
giganews or another server, but only if I can get access from WIFI.

When you sign up with a news provider (other than one provided by the
connection provider), then provided the connection you use doesn't block
certain ports and/or traffic types, you can access them from any
connection.
It's just too damn slow on dialup. (Even though I think binary
newsgroups are faster on dialup compared to the WEB).
What do you mean by "the WEB"? Oh, hang on: you mean you think binary
newsgroups are faster on dialup than the web is on dialup. Well, for a
basic file transfer, encoding it via a newsgroup will involve a
_percentage_ overhead: the usenet system (and email!) was designed for
text only, so to send non-text information, it has to be encoded into
something that will pass through a text-only system. There are two main
methods - UUcoding and MIME; I forget what the (average) coding
overheads are. So, a binary file encoded for sending through usenet (or
as an email attachment!) will be bigger - and thus slower to send - than
that same file sent raw, *all things being equal*. However, depending on
what means you find to get the "raw" file, that may be slower: it could
be a slower server, or (especially if it's part of a web page), even if
the file transfer itself is fast enough, there may be lots of ad.s or
similar sent along with it.