Oracle Connection String

Carlos Hernandez

I am using Oracle as my database source. My webservice is running on a
machine different than the database. I can connect to my oracle database if
my database is in the same server as my webservice, but in this case the
databse server is apart. What needs to be add to the connection string to
connect to a different machine??
Thanks.

Rico Wind

I am using Oracle as my database source. My webservice is running on a
machine different than the database. I can connect to my oracle database if
my database is in the same server as my webservice, but in this case the
databse server is apart. What needs to be add to the connection string to
connect to a different machine??
Thanks.
What driver do you use to connect?

/Rico Wind

Rico Wind

"Carlos Hernandez" wrote in message
Oracle Client for .Net

OK, but what driver do you use in your .Net enviroment? OleDB for oracle,
Oracle dataprovider .Net?
Can I see the connection string you use when you connect localy?

/Rico Wind

Paul Clement

¤ I am using Oracle as my database source. My webservice is running on a
¤ machine different than the database. I can connect to my oracle database if
¤ my database is in the same server as my webservice, but in this case the
¤ databse server is apart. What needs to be add to the connection string to
¤ connect to a different machine??
¤ Thanks.
¤

Sounds like a configuration issue to me. Is there a trust relationship between the web server and
database server? Has the tnsnames.ora been configured properly.

Paul ~~~ (e-mail address removed)
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Carlos Hernandez

I am using the Orcale dataprovider for .Net..?
Rico Wind said:
"Carlos Hernandez" wrote in message

OK, but what driver do you use in your .Net enviroment? OleDB for oracle,
Oracle dataprovider .Net?
Can I see the connection string you use when you connect localy?

/Rico Wind

Carlos Hernandez

There is no trusted relationship. Yesterday we discover that fil, the
tnsnames.ora, and we changed it, know it works..! But is this the only way
mofifying this ORA file, or can I do it like Sql server that I can specify
the ip and port number in my connection. Thanks.

Paul Clement

¤ There is no trusted relationship. Yesterday we discover that fil, the
¤ tnsnames.ora, and we changed it, know it works..! But is this the only way
¤ mofifying this ORA file, or can I do it like Sql server that I can specify
¤ the ip and port number in my connection. Thanks.

Not that I am aware of. The Oracle client software looks for this information in tnsnames.ora.

Paul ~~~ (e-mail address removed)
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)