Oplocks

(this is a repost: sorry, e-mail alias in previous post was wrong)

Hi all,
I have question about the known issue of opportunistic locking for old
database applications running with obsolete engines (Superbase and Paradox,
the problem is very similar). Client-server apps, Windows 2000 (up-to-date
with SPs and critical updates) both client and server.

I have found the first official answer in "296264: Configure opportunistic
locking in Windows". The suggestion is to set entry OplocksDisabled to 1 in
this client registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters\

or to set entry EnableOplocks to 0 this one:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

More infos are in "219022: Improving Performance of MS-DOS Database
Applications" about in particular entry EnableOpLocks, in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

Good. BUT in Windows 2000 Registry Reference, at
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...s/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/58913.asp

I've found more registry entries, UseLockReadUnlock and
UseOpportunisticLocking,
in this registry key:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

So, I'm getting a bit confused. Which entries are to be set for better
performance? I've got to set them on client computer, on server computer or
both?!

Thanks.

Jason Tan

Hi,

Thanks for posting!

I would like to make some clarification on the description here.

You may refer to Q296264 to configure opportunistic locking on both client
and server as the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters\

Or to set entry EnableOplocks to 0 this one:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

Additionally, you may refer to following to improve performance when an
application locks data and then immediately reads the data, or writes data
and then immediately unlocks it.

UseLockReadUnlock
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/
en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en
-us/regentry/58913.asp

However, Q 219022 is only applied to Microsoft BackOffice Small Business
Server 4.0 and Microsoft BackOffice Small Business Server 4.5. It cannot
apply to Windows 2000 environment here.

If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?dHJhYg==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Oplocks
| Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 09:12:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
|
| (this is a repost: sorry, e-mail alias in previous post was wrong)
|
| Hi all,
| I have question about the known issue of opportunistic locking for old
| database applications running with obsolete engines (Superbase and
Paradox,
| the problem is very similar). Client-server apps, Windows 2000
(up-to-date
| with SPs and critical updates) both client and server.
|
| I have found the first official answer in "296264: Configure
opportunistic
| locking in Windows". The suggestion is to set entry OplocksDisabled to 1
in
| this client registry entry:
|
| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters\
|
| or to set entry EnableOplocks to 0 this one:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

| More infos are in "219022: Improving Performance of MS-DOS Database
| Applications" about in particular entry EnableOpLocks, in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

| Good. BUT in Windows 2000 Registry Reference, at
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/
en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en
-us/regentry/58913.asp

| I've found more registry entries, UseLockReadUnlock and
| UseOpportunisticLocking,
| in this registry key:
|
| HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
|
| So, I'm getting a bit confused. Which entries are to be set for better
| performance? I've got to set them on client computer, on server computer
or
| both?!
|
| Thanks.

Thanks, all seems clear in your answer. In case of more doubts I'll surely
let you know!

Trab

Jason Tan

Hi Trab,

Thanks for your update soon!

If you have any concerns or questions, please feel free to let me know. I
am glad to be of assistance!

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?dHJhYg==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Oplocks
| Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 01:41:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
|
| Thanks, all seems clear in your answer. In case of more doubts I'll
surely
| let you know!
|
| Trab
|
| "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
|
| > Hi,
| >
| > Thanks for posting!
| >
| > I would like to make some clarification on the description here.
| >
| > You may refer to Q296264 to configure opportunistic locking on both
client
| > and server as the following:
| >
| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters\
| >
| > Or to set entry EnableOplocks to 0 this one:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

| > Additionally, you may refer to following to improve performance when an
| > application locks data and then immediately reads the data, or writes
data
| > and then immediately unlocks it.
| >
| > UseLockReadUnlock

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/

en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en
| > -us/regentry/58913.asp
| >
| > However, Q 219022 is only applied to Microsoft BackOffice Small
Business
| > Server 4.0 and Microsoft BackOffice Small Business Server 4.5. It
cannot
| > apply to Windows 2000 environment here.
| >
| > If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so

| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?dHJhYg==?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Oplocks
| > | Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 09:12:02 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
| > |
| > | (this is a repost: sorry, e-mail alias in previous post was wrong)
| > |
| > | Hi all,
| > | I have question about the known issue of opportunistic locking for
old
| > | database applications running with obsolete engines (Superbase and
| > Paradox,
| > | the problem is very similar). Client-server apps, Windows 2000
| > (up-to-date
| > | with SPs and critical updates) both client and server.
| > |
| > | I have found the first official answer in "296264: Configure
| > opportunistic
| > | locking in Windows". The suggestion is to set entry OplocksDisabled
to 1
| > in
| > | this client registry entry:
| > |
| > |
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters\
| > |
| > | or to set entry EnableOplocks to 0 this one:
| > |
| > |

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

| > |
| > | More infos are in "219022: Improving Performance of MS-DOS Database
| > | Applications" about in particular entry EnableOpLocks, in
| > |
| > |

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

| > |
| > | Good. BUT in Windows 2000 Registry Reference, at

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/

en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en
| > -us/regentry/58913.asp
| > |
| > | I've found more registry entries, UseLockReadUnlock and
| > | UseOpportunisticLocking,
| > | in this registry key:
| > |
| > | HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
| > |
| > | So, I'm getting a bit confused. Which entries are to be set for
better
| > | performance? I've got to set them on client computer, on server
computer
| > or
| > | both?!
| > |
| > | Thanks.
| > |
| > |

Hi Jason,
Since you are glad, here is a more specific scenario from one of my
customers. ;-)

2-nodes cluster, Windows 2003 Adv. Server hosting:
- Exchange Server 2003
- users home directories
- user profiles
- file share for obsolete database application

Are you aware of problems while setting these parameters on each cluster
node?

Thanks.

Trab

P.S. About my original confusion: you can understand I was a bit perplexed
in reading to set LanmanServer\Parameters on clients too...

Jason Tan

Hi Trab,

Thanks for update!

Please understand that our newsgroup is an issue based service, meaning we
usually respond to one question/issue per post. This will lessen the
confusion for both of us, as well as ensure that our results are accurate
and not a result of a test for a different question. Therefore, regarding
the issue, I suggest you open a new post so that the dedicated MS engineer
can help you on it in a more efficient manner. Thanks for your
understanding and support!

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?dHJhYg==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Oplocks
| Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 06:16:08 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
|
| Hi Jason,
| Since you are glad, here is a more specific scenario from one of my
| customers. ;-)
|
| 2-nodes cluster, Windows 2003 Adv. Server hosting:
| - Exchange Server 2003
| - users home directories
| - user profiles
| - file share for obsolete database application
|
| Are you aware of problems while setting these parameters on each cluster
| node?
|
| Thanks.
|
| Trab
|
| P.S. About my original confusion: you can understand I was a bit
perplexed
| in reading to set LanmanServer\Parameters on clients too...
|

| "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
|

| > Hi Trab,
| >
| > Thanks for your update soon!
| >
| > If you have any concerns or questions, please feel free to let me know.
| > am glad to be of assistance!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so

| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?dHJhYg==?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Oplocks
| > | Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 01:41:02 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
| > |
| > | Thanks, all seems clear in your answer. In case of more doubts I'll
| > surely
| > | let you know!
| > |
| > | Trab
| > |
| > | "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
| > |

| > client

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

| > data

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/

en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en

| > Business
| > cannot

| > so

| > rights.

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > old
| > | > |
OplocksDisabled
| > to 1
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters\
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

| > | > |
Database
| > | > |
| > | > |

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

| > | > |

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/

en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
| > | > |
| > better
| > computer
| > | > |