Opening Attatchments Outlook Express

Sally Ann Walker

I am unable to open attatchments message reads

OE removed access to the following unsafe attatchments in
your mail.

How do I rectify this

lanmanjs

You don't, it's a "feature". MS is stripping attachments with certain
extensions to try and help you protect your systems from "bad" people.
According to what I've read from MS you can't change this setting even with
a registry hack - though someone will probably get around it eventually. If
you really want the attachment have the sender rename the extension to
something else that won't be stripped, resend the mail with the newly named
attachment and then you can download and rename it back so you can open it.
That's about all you can do that I know of.

lanman

William Tatum[MSFT]

Turn off the Option to Use the Unsafe File List
To turn off the "Do not allow attachments to be saved or
opened that could potentially be a virus" option:

1. Start Outlook Express.

2. On the "Tools" menu, click "Options".

3. Click the "Security" tab, click to clear the "Do not allow
attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus"
check box under "Virus Protection", and then click "OK".

--------------------
From: "Sally Ann Walker" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Sally Ann Walker" <[email protected]>
Subject: Opening Attatchments Outlook Express
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 02:14:01 -0800

I am unable to open attatchments message reads

OE removed access to the following unsafe attatchments in
your mail.

How do I rectify this

William R. Tatum III - MCSE, MCSA
Partner Technical Lead - Outlook/Office Setup
Microsoft Tecnnical Support
for Platforms and Business Applications

Had same problem, fixed it as follows: In Outlook Express select Tools, then select Options, then Security. Untick the option that says "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus".