Open file and set numbers of decimal points

BlackSun

Hi,
I have a problem: if I open an xls file (2003) the numbers are, by
default, shown with 2 decimal point (eg: 189,47).
If I want to see then with only 1 decimal point (189,5) how can I do?
I can't use VBA :(

Thanks in advance

Cheers BlackSun

AB

Perhaps i'm oversimplifying things but how about formatting the cell
to 2 decimals?
right click>format cells>Number>Number>Decimal Places=1
?
Bear in mind that this would affect only the way you 'see' the value
while the value will still as it was.

BlackSun

Hi,
it's not what I need unfortunately... I need that this action must be
automatic when I open _every_ file in excel.

Thanks again

Cheers BlackSun

Donald Guillett

Hi,
it's not what I need unfortunately... I need that this action must be
automatic when I open _every_ file in excel.

Thanks again

Cheers BlackSun

The only thing I can recommend for all you won't like.
tools>options>edit>check fixed decimals>set to 1
Now when you enter 2 you will get .2, 22 - 2.2, 222=22.2, etc.

Jim Cone

It is possible to create a macro, that you would only have to use one time.
It would open every workbook in every folder and change the "Normal" style for that workbook and
save the workbook.
Once that was done, only brand new workbooks would require a style change before saving.
(no, I am not offering to write it for you)
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"BlackSun" <[email protected]>

Gord Dibben

If you want all NEW workbooks and worksheets to have format of 1 DP you can
alter the default workbook Excel uses as "New"

Open a new workbook and format all cells on all sheets to to 1 DP

File>Save As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select. Name
your workbook "BOOK"(no quotes). Excel will add the .XLT to save as
BOOK.XLT.

Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

This will be the default workbook for File>New or the Toolbar button
File>New or CTRL + n

WARNING for Excel 2003................Do not use File>New...Blank Workbook
or you will get the Excel default workbook.

NOTE: Existing workbooks are not affected by these settings.

You can also open a new workbook and delete all but one sheet. Customize as
you wish then save this as SHEET.XLT in XLSTART folder also. It now becomes
the default Insert>Sheet.

More can be found on this in Help under "templates"(no quotes).

Instructions are for Excel 2003 and earlier.

2007 is similar except you would save as BOOK.xltx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP