Only from mobile rack, PIO 0, NoDMA? Help?

Brutus

Hello guys!

I've run into some problems, maybe some have the answer for these:
First of all, I use SanDisk CF 256, Athens, so supports DMA. SanDIsk
sent me the DmaOnOff util, didnt work (fail #0). I've modified CF-IDE
adapter, so theoretically it supports DMA.
What the problem was: I couldn't boot either DOS or XPe from my CF:
boot immediately hung. After setting PIO 0 and UDMA off in BIOS, DOS
booted OK, XPe hung somewhere during booting. After the CF-IDE mod,
still setting PIO 0 and UDMA off in BIOS, XPe works OK. So, what is
the problem, you may ask…here it is: my CF only boots from a mobile
rack with PIO 0 and UDMA off… why from mobile rack? If connected
directly to IDE cable, boot immediately hangs… if PIO is set to auto
(PIO 4 is selected), boot hangs… what is happening here?

Thanks,

Brutus

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Brutus,

Do you want to run your image from CF connected on IDE?
Can you describe this hang thing?
Is it 7B error or something else?
Do you see XP load screen?
Can you tell us if ntldr is loaded and if it can load boot.ini?
How did you formatted your CF?
Etc...

Regards,
Slobodan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups? Tell
Microsoft!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroups
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brutus

Sure Slobodan!

Lets see:
I want to run a XPe image from a CF hard. I purchased the CF-IDE
adapter online.
The hang: if not in rack, or not PIO 0 or UDMA enabled, DOS hangs rite
after BIOS, when saying: Verifying Pool Data… (or what is it): the
cursor blinks, but the "Loading DOS…" doesn't appear.
XPe goes further a little bit further: the screen goes into graph
mode, then hangs: basically I see a big black screen.
This is definitely not 7b, and I cannot see XPe boot screen. It hangs
_way before_ that.
I don't know whether ntldr and boot.ini gets loaded, but I guess, yes!

The way I've formatted my CF: before making the DMA mode to my CF-IDE
adapter, I only could format it to FAT from DOS, and then _sometimes_
successfully run CONVERT from WinXP: CONVERT sometimes said "Corrupt
data" and stop running. After making the mod, I can easily format it
under XP to NTFS.
The outcome: after enabling DMA on my CF-IDE adapter, I can perfectly
boot into XPe, BUT PIO mode must be set to 0, UDMA must be disabled
from DOS, and I must connect my CF to IDE only via a mobile rack! If I
connect it directly, the boot procedure hangs immediately as described
above.

Please, help me!

Thanks,

Adam

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi,

I still have trouble to determine if ntldr is loading.
You mention graph mode?
This can mean two things that XPe is loading or that you have BIOS with
splash screen. Which case do you have?

To test if your NTLDR is working use boot.ini similar to following.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XPE1" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XPE2" /fastdetect

This will give you 30 seconds. If you have multi OS choice then describe
what is happening after you select OS.

If not then you have problem BIOS/disk geometry related.
Use DOS tools like fdisk, format, bootprep to make your CF bootable on your
target device.

Regards,
Slobodan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups? Tell
Microsoft!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroups
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adam

Hey Slobodan!

I think you misunderstood my problem! My bigges problem is, that
nevertheless XPe works great now, it (and DOS itself) only boots from a
mobile rack: if I connect my CF to CF-IDE, then the CF-IDE via a mobile rack
to the IDE cable, works OK. If I connect my CF to CF-IDE, then the CF-IDE to
the IDE cable itself (not via the mobile rack), the boot hangs. I guess
nothing to do with NTLDR and so on... not even DOS boots when connected
directly...

Brutus

Brutus said:
[...]

"Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Yes I have completely misunderstood your problem.

I thought that you are using two different access points on your boards :(

Only explanation I have for your problem is that your mobile rack is some
old model (not made for high speeds).

And when you connect CF IDE trough it BIOS will see it and use lower speeds
because a cable problem.
BTW: What cable are you using old or new type?
Some BIOS-es allows you to set type of cable you have so they won't attempt
fast UDMA transfers.

I have seen many different hard to explain problems related to old data
cable usage.

Regards,
Slobodan

Brutus said:
[...]

Well, my cable is new type (allows UDMA 133, tested). The rack itself allows
UDMA 133 as well, so basically, perfect rack. I just have no idea what
difference it makes...

Anyone else got some comment on it? I would really appreciate it...

thanks,

Brutus