One workgroup file for frontend and backend not updating

heidii

Hello All:

I have hit a snag.

I have a Database with a FrontEnd, BackEnd and a Seond Front End,
called Master that I do changes on.

I used to be able to into the Master FrontEnd and make permission
changes to groups, then Log Into the Regular Front End and see the
permission changes I did.

Now when I log into the Regular Front End and the changes are not
there. I seem to have to completely overwrite the file with a new
copy to see any changes.

I have double and triple checked my shortcuts and which workgroup they
are pointing to. Everything is the same.

Any ideas from anybody on what could have changed.

Thanks much

Heidi

Joan Wild

:
: I have a Database with a FrontEnd, BackEnd and a Seond Front End,
: called Master that I do changes on.
:
: I used to be able to into the Master FrontEnd and make permission
: changes to groups, then Log Into the Regular Front End and see the
: permission changes I did.

No you didn't. The permissions are stored in the mdb file. You might have added a user, or changed the groups a user was a member of (that is stored in the mdw), and seen the change, but not permissions.

: Now when I log into the Regular Front End and the changes are not
: there. I seem to have to completely overwrite the file with a new
: copy to see any changes.

Yes, that's the only way.

heidii

To your comment-
"You might have added a user, or changed the groups a user was a
member of (that is stored in the mdw), and seen the change, but not
permissions."

That is what I did. I added a new user and then added them to certain
groups. Those changes are not showing reflected into the other front
end.

Joan Wild

If that's the case, then you are using a different mdw with 'the other frontend'

--
Joan Wild
Microsoft Access MVP
"You might have added a user, or changed the groups a user was a
member of (that is stored in the mdw), and seen the change, but not
permissions."

That is what I did. I added a new user and then added them to certain
groups. Those changes are not showing reflected into the other front
end.

a a r o n _ k e m p f

sounds to me like it's just a flaky ass setup.

Move to SQL Server if you care about security.
Case closed.

-Aaron

"heidii" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
:
[...]

Yes SQL is better @ security but.. This is a newsgroup for helping
others find answers to problems, not trashing people with unfactuated
opinions, Your Quote - ("sounds to me like it's just a flaky ass
setup.")

Thanks to the other helpful people.

Keith Wilby

"a a r o n _ k e m p f " is a sad individual who gains pleasure from
trolling the Access newsgroups. "a a r o n _ k e m p f " is the proverbial
"broken record", repeating the same worthless garbage over and over. "a a r
o n _ k e m p f " should be ignored.

heidii

"a a r o n _ k e m p f " is a sad individual who gains pleasure from
trolling the Access newsgroups.  "a a r o n _ k e m p f " is the proverbial
"broken record", repeating the same worthless garbage over and over.  "a a r
o n _ k e m p f " should be ignored.

why has he not been booted or banned by moderators?

Douglas J. Steele

Because there ARE no moderators for these newsgroups.

While Microsoft has, on occasion, deleted his posts from their server, the
fact that the newsgroups are replicated on thousands of other servers makes
it impossible to delete his posts from every server that carries these
newsgroups.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP

(no private e-mails, please)

why has he not been booted or banned by moderators?