One step shutdown

Fran

Using XP home & IE. Is there a way to properly shut down my computer
without having go to Start>Turn Off Computer --->to another prompt to Turn
Off Computer? Is there a one-step method that is practical and safe?
Thanks in advance, Fran

JS

shutdown -s -t 15

Note: You will need a space between the -t and 15 (values from 00 to 99
seconds are allowed)
Then use a shortcut on your desktop to execute the shutdown command.

For a list of the commands available open a command window and at the prompt
just enter shutdown (without any switches).

I personally have not used this method so how safe I can't answer.

JS

John Nice

Fran said:
Using XP home & IE. Is there a way to properly shut down my computer
without having go to Start>Turn Off Computer --->to another prompt to Turn
Off Computer? Is there a one-step method that is practical and safe?
Thanks in advance, Fran
I use the button on the front.
(Dell Dim 5150)

John

Phil Weldon

'John' wrote:
| I use the button on the front.
| (Dell Dim 5150)
_____

Which does not properly shut down your system; it will either turn off the
system (unsafe if it has not already been shut down) or hibernate the system
(does not turn off the system) depending on settings.

Phil Weldon

"John Nice" <johnDOTniceATbtinternetDOTcom> wrote in message

| | > Using XP home & IE. Is there a way to properly shut down my computer
| > without having go to Start>Turn Off Computer --->to another prompt to
Turn
| > Off Computer? Is there a one-step method that is practical and safe?
| > Thanks in advance, Fran
| >
| I use the button on the front.
| (Dell Dim 5150)
|
| John

John Nice

_____

Which does not properly shut down your system; it will either turn off the
system (unsafe if it has not already been shut down) or hibernate the
system
(does not turn off the system) depending on settings.

Phil Weldon

"John Nice" <johnDOTniceATbtinternetDOTcom> wrote in message

| | > Using XP home & IE. Is there a way to properly shut down my computer
| > without having go to Start>Turn Off Computer --->to another prompt to
Turn
| > Off Computer? Is there a one-step method that is practical and safe?
| > Thanks in advance, Fran
| >
| I use the button on the front.
| (Dell Dim 5150)

RTFM

"When I press the power button: do nothing, stand by, hibernate, shut down"

ps, don't top-post

John

Ronnie Vernon MVP

John

Phil is correct about this. Pressing the power button is considered an
improper shutdown and does not give Windows time to close all running
software, services, and etc, before the computer disconnects. This can cause
file corruption or even worse, a system that refuses to boot.

Bob B

Press the windows key on the keyboard and the U key twice. Not one button
but nearly!

Bob

Bob B

Better I expand on my directions press the windows keyboard then take your
finger off the key...then press u twice

Bob

Phil Weldon

'John Nice' wrote:
| RTFM
|
| "When I press the power button: do nothing, stand by, hibernate, shut
down"

| ps, don't top-post
_____

Wrong on both counts. I suggest you read your manual to better understand
what you are doing.

Phil Weldon

"John Nice" <johnDOTniceATbtinternetDOTcom> wrote in message

| | > 'John' wrote:
| > | I use the button on the front.
| > | (Dell Dim 5150)
| > _____
| >
| > Which does not properly shut down your system; it will either turn off
the
| > system (unsafe if it has not already been shut down) or hibernate the
| > system
| > (does not turn off the system) depending on settings.
| >
| > Phil Weldon
| >
| > "John Nice" <johnDOTniceATbtinternetDOTcom> wrote in message
| > | > |
| > Turn
| > | >
| > | I use the button on the front.
| > | (Dell Dim 5150)
|
| RTFM
|
| "When I press the power button: do nothing, stand by, hibernate, shut
down"

| ps, don't top-post
|
| John

Vanguard

in message
'John Nice' wrote:
| "When I press the power button: do nothing, stand by, hibernate,
shut
down"

Wrong on both counts. I suggest you read your manual to better
understand
what you are doing.

No, you are wrong ... on how Ronnie configured his power options. ATX
systems don't have a *power* switch anymore. They have a *soft*
switch which goes to the motherboard, NOT to the power supply. You
can configure Power Options, Advanced settings, so the soft switch
will:

- Do Nothing (which often means its action is under BIOS control)
- Ask me what to do (you get the same popup window as when clicking
Start -> Shutdown menu).
- Standby (puts you into low-power standby mode).
- Hibernate (saves memory into a disk file and DOES power down).
- Shut down (same as Start -> Shutdown, select Shutdown, click OK).

The first option might end up with a hard power kill on the computer
depending on what you have configured in BIOS. The rest of the power
options are graceful and safe since the OS intercepts and handles the
soft switch event.

Have a glance at the Power Options applet in Control Panel. You might
find some interesting settings.

Ayush

On the desktop or on Start Menu. Make a shortcut by right click > New >
Shortcut
Type in
shutdown -s -t 00
Click Next , Name it, Finish
Now right click it > Properties > In the Shortcut key > Press the hotkey you
want ,e.g. Ctrl + Shift +s OR Num. Key *
If you want a one click solution, move the shortcut to quick launch
--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]

For any query, search > www.Google.com
Want to know about a term > http://en.wikipedia.org

| Using XP home & IE. Is there a way to properly shut down my computer
| without having go to Start>Turn Off Computer --->to another prompt to Turn
| Off Computer? Is there a one-step method that is practical and safe?
| Thanks in advance, Fran

I haven't read all the replies to your question so I don't know if you got
this yet.

Very Simple: Goto START menu and open CONTROL PANEL

in Control Panel if you are in category view, open performance and
maintenance, then open Power Options. If you are using classic view in
control panel, go straight to power options.

In the power options appleet goto the ADVANCED tab. Look at the "Power
Buttons" options and in "When I press the power button in my computer" select
Shut Down from the drop down menu.

Although, If you don't need to restart Windows and all you want is to turn
off your computer till the next day, you can select HIBERNATE. This will
store your current Windows Session on your hard drive and completely turn off
your computer. When you turn it back on, the system will load the saved
session and you will be right back where you left. Try it and you'll see.

Good Luck and let us know.

Carol2

There were 2 events, but I'm only posting one as the other has to do with my
Microtek Scanner Finder (which sometimes doesn't show up, for some reason).
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 9/28/2006
Time: 9:35:21 AM
User: N/A
Computer: CAROL
Fault bucket 85524801.

There are no Problem Devices. No problems that I can detect today. I've
set the Auto Restart button as you said, but...... Tell me, please...... How
do I get out of the blue screen Stop error, should it present itself?

The info I've found, as per your instructions, seems Pretty slim evidence to
go on.......but will be hoping that it tells you more than it does me. 8^)

Carol2

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of information on that fairly generic error message. The only thing I could find was a reference to a NVidia video card driver problem. You might want to check for any updated video card drivers for the system.

If you see this BSOD again, be sure to write down the first few lines of the STOP: error and post that information here. Take a look at the image on the following website. You want to write down everything in the "Bugcheck Information" section.

BSOD Details.
http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=18255271

Carol2

That's what I was afraid of, Ronnie.....not much to go on. I had to update
the nVIDIA driver a couple weeks ago in order to get PSP-X to even Install.
Am now using 91.47 ForceWare-winXpMCE, & everything has worked nicely for
the past couple weeks with it.

I viewed the site you posted & understand the lines you need, IF/When I have
another event like this. Thanks again. 8^)

Carol2

'Vanguard' wrote, in part:
| No, you are wrong ... on how Ronnie configured his power options. ATX
| systems don't have a *power* switch anymore. They have a *soft*
| switch which goes to the motherboard, NOT to the power supply. You
| can configure Power Options, Advanced settings, so the soft switch
| will:
|
| - Do Nothing (which often means its action is under BIOS control)
| - Ask me what to do (you get the same popup window as when clicking
| Start -> Shutdown menu).
| - Standby (puts you into low-power standby mode).
| - Hibernate (saves memory into a disk file and DOES power down).
| - Shut down (same as Start -> Shutdown, select Shutdown, click OK).
_____

For an understanding of how ATX power supplies work, and what the front
panel 'Power Off' switch does, try
<http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/atx2_2.pdf> .

For an understanding why your post is incorrect, try what you suggest and
pay attention to the results.

Phil Weldon

'Vanguard' wrote:
| No, you are wrong ... on how Ronnie configured his power options.
ATX
| systems don't have a *power* switch anymore. They have a *soft*
| switch which goes to the motherboard, NOT to the power supply.
You
| can configure Power Options, Advanced settings, so the soft switch
| will:
|
| - Do Nothing (which often means its action is under BIOS control)
| - Ask me what to do (you get the same popup window as when
clicking
| Start -> Shutdown menu).
| - Standby (puts you into low-power standby mode).
| - Hibernate (saves memory into a disk file and DOES power down).
| - Shut down (same as Start -> Shutdown, select Shutdown, click
OK).

For an understanding of how ATX power supplies work, and what the
front
panel 'Power Off' switch does, try
<http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/atx2_2.pdf> .

For an understanding why your post is incorrect, try what you
suggest and
pay attention to the results.

So you already forgot how the front power switch went directly to the
PSU for the prior AT spec? And you think that the soft switch that
now goes to the motherboard and controls the PS-ON signal under ATX is
the same thing? The PSU is now controlled by "soft" power options,
not by a direct connect from front switch to PSU.

I have used all the settings for the Power switch in the Power Options
applet. I've used the hibernate (which copies the memory to the
hiberfil.sys file and then powers down the PSU), the shutdown, and the
standby setting and they worked for me. Guess you'll need to figure
out why yours doesn't, or maybe get a motherboard that is less than 8
years old, or maybe your screwed up the BIOS settings and set it to
use APM instead of ACPI or you configured Windows' power options to
use APM instead of ACPI (which, as I recall, required you screw up the
BIOS to have it use APM unless you tell it to let the OS handle the
power control).

You really shouldn't spout specifications that you haven't even
bothered to read. Nowhere in the ATX spec does it specify how PS-ON
is controlled nor does it describe BIOS and OS control over the
various power modes. That's defined by the ACPI spec and which is
independent of the ATX spec. The only control described by the ATX
spec is the PS-ON signal that is used to actually control the on-off
state of the PSU itself, not the various power modes supported by the
mobo. It also describes why the 5VSB must still be active when the
PSU is powered down so those circuits on the MOTHERBOARD can control
when and if the PSU gets powered up or down.

The ATX spec does *not* define the various power modes of which some
are available as OS settings on the Power button (or for other keys on
your keyboard) as to how the OS will handle that event (i.e., what
power mode it will initiate). The ATX spec only describes how the
PS-ON signal is used to power up or power down the PSU and does NOT
define the various power *modes* supported by the motherboard.

Maybe you should go read:
http://www.intel.com/technology/iapc/acpi/faq.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acpi

S3 mode = Standby