omit outline numbers in TOC

G

a report i am doing for client contains several sections each of which follows a hierarchical outline numbering scheme. The headings for each section follow the appropriate "heading style" for the outline level in which it appears.. What i'd like to avoid seeing is the outline numbers along with their headings in the table of contents. Is there a way to do this?

C

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?am9kaWU=?=,
a report i am doing for client contains several sections each of which follows a
hierarchical outline numbering scheme. The headings for each section follow the appropriate
"heading style" for the outline level in which it appears.. What i'd like to avoid seeing
is the outline numbers along with their headings in the table of contents. Is there a way
to do this?I think the only way you can do this is by using TC fields to set the text to be showed in
the TOC. You may want to look up the terms TC field and TOC field in Word's Help.

1. Insert a TC field in the line with the Heading field
2. Now insert a cross-reference to the *paragraph text* for that heading
3. Add a \l switch if the heading is not Level 1
4. When you insert the Table of Contents, click the "Options" button. Uncheck the boxes for
using styles and for using outlines, but activate the one for Table entry fields.(Note that
you may need to edit the TOC field manually, as the one Word generates may have some problems
updating correctly. See below.)

With the field codes displayed, your document would look something like this:

{ TOC \l 1-3 }

1. Heading 1{ TC { REF _Ref69716554 \h } }
2. Heading 1-2{ TC { REF _Ref69716579 \h } }
2.1 Heading 2{ TC { REF _Ref69716589 \h } \l 2 }

And the TOC would display:

Heading 1 1
Heading 1-2 1
Heading 1 1

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Sep 30 2003)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the
newsgroup and not by e-mail :)

Ask a Question