OleDb: Get Properties

Armin Zingler

Hi,

how can I get properties in ADO.Net? I read about it in the OleDB
documentation (Chapter 14: properties) but I can not find out how to get
them in .Net using an OleDBConnection. Any ideas? I searched "everywhere"
but without success. Currently, I'm trying to get the information from the
DBPROPSET_JETOLEDB_COLUMN property set:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/e...c_properties_in_dbpropset_jetoledb_column.asp

Also with other providers, I have no clue how to get properties.
I have the GetOleDbSchemaTable method. I can use it only to get schema
information (which is no problem) but not those properties.

Armin

Cor Ligthert

Armin,

When a regular helper as you asks a question, than I start searching.
Knowing however that you know where the F1 key is. Did I stop this morning.
I see you have still no answer.

I show now the link on MSDN you had already showed in the Entwickler
Newsgroup.

Maybe gives that somebody an idea how you can use that.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228525

I have seen that your question is 4 times in the newsgroups. 2 times by you
and some very old however without a real answer (this you know of course,
however for others who read this)

Cor

Armin Zingler

Cor Ligthert said:
Armin,

When a regular helper as you asks a question, than I start
searching. Knowing however that you know where the F1 key is. Did I
stop this morning. I see you have still no answer.

I show now the link on MSDN you had already showed in the Entwickler
Newsgroup.

Maybe gives that somebody an idea how you can use that.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228525

I have seen that your question is 4 times in the newsgroups. 2 times
by you and some very old however without a real answer (this you
know of course, however for others who read this)

Cor

Thanks Cor for searching. :) In the meantime, I was still not able to
figure out how to use the GUID to get the information. First thought -
before asking here - was to pass the GUID as the first argument to
GetOleDBSchemaTable, but then, after getting an exception that the schema
determined by this GUID is not supported, I noticed that GetOleDBSchemaTable
is not the right function to call. It's really strange that absolutely
nothing can be found in the groups & WWW (including MSFT KB).

Meanwhile, I used ADOX to get the required information. I wanted to avoid
this because it's the "old" way and it's COM interop. Well, I couldn't waste
another day... :)

Armin

Cor Ligthert

Armin,

I find it crazy that a guy who is the thirth all time helper in the English
VBNet newsgroup (and probably in the German even more) get so few
Meanwhile, I used ADOX to get the required information. I wanted to avoid
this because it's the "old" way and it's COM interop. Well, I couldn't
waste another day... :)

That would I have done probably as well, however I found it a waste to
suggest it to you, that you can do yourself.

:)

Cor

Paul Clement

¤ Hi,
¤
¤ how can I get properties in ADO.Net? I read about it in the OleDB
¤ documentation (Chapter 14: properties) but I can not find out how to get
¤ them in .Net using an OleDBConnection. Any ideas? I searched "everywhere"
¤ but without success. Currently, I'm trying to get the information from the
¤ DBPROPSET_JETOLEDB_COLUMN property set:
¤
¤ http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/e...c_properties_in_dbpropset_jetoledb_column.asp
¤
¤ Also with other providers, I have no clue how to get properties.
¤ I have the GetOleDbSchemaTable method. I can use it only to get schema
¤ information (which is no problem) but not those properties.
¤
¤ Armin

I'll check to see if I can dig up the syntax for this.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

The .Net Framework Data Provider for OLEDB does not give you access to the
native OLE DB Provider's properties.
Your only solution is to take the same connection string and use ADODB.