Old & New, Old farties criticisms possibly justified

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I honestly don't like those of more advanced years criticising younger peeps but this news article made me think twice.

Honestly, this is so true. Myra Hindley, Ian Brady, changed things.

Had evil always been there but unreported? Or did things change for the worse in the sixties?

I honestly think evil has always existed but then why no genearal reporting of it prior to sixties?

Apart from that, note the social commentary. It's true us kids of the time figured things out the hard way - for the better. Kids now seem cloistered, sheltered.

Comments?

This is the link I'm referring to: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8399749.stm

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I honestly don't like those of more advanced years criticising younger peeps but this news article made me think twice.

Honestly, this is so true. Myra Hindley, Ian Brady, changed things.

Had evil always been there but unreported? Or did things change for the worse in the sixties?

I honestly think evil has always existed but then why no genearal reporting of it prior to sixties?

Apart from that, note the social commentary. It's true us kids of the time figured things out the hard way - for the better. Kids now seem cloistered, sheltered.

Comments?

This is the link I'm referring to: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8399749.stm

I`ve read the piece,it`s quite interesting.
I get the feeling that a lot of information was kept from the people in the past possibly because of the war. Also not to upset the moral of the country.
My brother,me and our mum were sent out of London to the Midlands,and I can remember playing in wood land,medows and quarries without fear. I can`t remember mother telling us not to talk to strangers. We also played in the street with marbles,flicking cigarette cards and spinning tops,no cars to disturb us then. As fas as I can remember,people looked out for us. If we did some thing wrong they told you off.Now it would appear that if you did the same thing you would either get a mouth full of abuse or a knife in your ribs. It then would be reported in the press and everybody would hear about. In the 40s and 50s,if it did go on,it was kept away from the press.Maybe there was more control of the press at the time.
historian

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
What is it with you guys?

Breaking through the red tape
Mr Halfpenny, a headteacher of a Carlisle primary school has bought safety goggles so that his pupils can continue playing conkers. Speaking from his school he states ‘I said they would have to wear goggles to play, mainly because they could get bits of conker in the eye. They thought it was a great idea. It's just being sensible. We live in a litigious society.’

Perhaps other schools need to follow Mr Halfpenny’s example and invent a way of playing games safely thus allowing the pupils to enjoy their childhood and not live in a sterile, play free environment.

Conkers or bonkers!

I would laugh... but that's just not funny anymore. What next? "Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear"?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bit sad innit?

We are becoming a 'blame and sue' society just as the article says, following the US.

In fact I had a text message today telling me I could claim £4K5 from a car accident I had back in May where the fault was given to the other driver.

I do have doubts sometimes that I didn't take that line but the truth is I wasn't hurt and I think people who make false claims are despicable. And at least I can live with myself.

As for playtime, as the original article I linked to pointed out, demolishing streets of houses and building high rise blocks plus the heavy increase of traffic had much to do with changing the way children spend their leisure time.

And I don't want to sound old farty but I was allowed to play out on my own from around the age of six I think and spent days on wasteland, in the woods, in the streets, playing by and in streams and using bare metal swings and roundabouts mounted in tarmac in the parks.

I could quote a thousand instances where as a child I flouted current health and safety rules but I'm still here and seem to be quite well adjusted socially. I do have a few scars though ;)

This happened to me at school:

Woodwork, making a fruit bowl or something, I gashed my thumb deeply with a chisel. Oodles of claret.

The teacher, a Canadian guy in his mid thirties I'd guess, washed the wound and bound it with a bandage. When the class finished ten minutes later as it was the end of the school day he ran me down to the local hospital's casualty dept in his car where I was stitched up and had a tetanus jab.

The teacher then drove me home from the hospital. End of story.

Now, imagine that same scenario today.

Can we spot just one or two pitfalls for all parties concerned there folks? I think we can.

Ask a Question